Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #11
Stegyre

Default Re: I want to support SJG for opposing SOPA . . .

I'm all for supporting SJG, but let's not miss the real point of the black out: opposing SOPA (and PIPA - the similar bill pending in the U.S. Senate). You can better support SJG's goal in the black out by (for U.S. citizens) contacting your U.S. Representative and Senators and making your feelings known.

You can get contact information by trying to go to Wikipedia and filling in your ZIP code. Wiki, great source of information that it is, will provide you with the names and contact links for your congressmen.

Those who cannot think of what to say are welcome to borrow, adapt, plagiarize (although if SOPA/PIPA pass, I might then be able to shut you down) my language:

Quote:
Dear Senators ______ and _____ and Representative _____:

Add my voice to that of your other constituents who are strenuously opposed to PIPA and SOPA. While on-line piracy of our intellectual property cannot be condoned, these bills propose a "cure" that is much worse than the disease. They further deny basic due process protections that are fundamental to our system of just...ice.

Tools to combat intellectual piracy already exist. While they are not perfect, ANY system we employ will suffer from some imperfection, either making it "too hard" to stop piracy or "too easy" to suppress the free flow of ideas and expression, often upon the thinnest of pretexts. As a society, we must ultimately choose which side of the line we shall err upon.

Our society has already made that choice. Freedom of expression is enshrined in the First Amendment. Copyright, by contrast, exists and is defined at the discretion of Congress.

We should protect the rights of creators to their creations, but we should protect the right of the people to communicate more. PIPA and SOPA do not do that.

Thank you for your time and attention.
Stegyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #12
ULFGARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
I'm all for supporting SJG, but let's not miss the real point of the black out: opposing SOPA (and PIPA - the similar bill pending in the U.S. Senate). You can better support SJG's goal in the black out by (for U.S. citizens) contacting your U.S. Representative and Senators and making your feelings known.

You can get contact information by trying to go to Wikipedia and filling in your ZIP code. Wiki, great source of information that it is, will provide you with the names and contact links for your congressmen.

Those who cannot think of what to say are welcome to borrow, adapt, plagiarize (although if SOPA/PIPA pass, I might then be able to shut you down) my language:
Absolutely. Most of us already buy a lot from SJG. For my part, I considered purchasing something else, but I realized that the odds are high that I'll buy whatever they put out tomorrow (I've been consistent in having 12 of the recent 15 recent items on the GURPS page, though sometimes it's because I have the paper version). If not, I'll buy something else to support them.

Those of us in the US should contact our representatives TODAY!
Old 01-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #13
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULFGARD View Post
Those of us in the US should contact our representatives TODAY!
Here here!
Old 01-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #14
tg_ambro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
I'm all for supporting SJG, but let's not miss the real point of the black out:
Of course! I didn't mention that because I thought that would be a more Gen Chat subject. And I assumed, maybe incorrectly, that everyone who came across this, and would be responsive, had already voiced themselves politically.

Stegyre's info is spot-on, and his letter is well written. So, I urge any and all who read this, please make your opposition of these horrid laws know, and support those who oppose with you; We're all in this together, after all.

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #15
Michael Thayne

Done! Just bought both Pulp Guns books and Monster Hunters Loadouts. (And yes, I've already contacted my congressfolk about this.)
Old 01-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #16
Figleaf23
Banned

This was a great excuse for me to get GURPS Action 2: Exploits.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #17
Huscurian

I applaud SJG for demonstrating even a day what Internet would be like should SOPA/PIPA go through.

I hope the Die Piraten Party of Germany manages to go through with making sure Internet is free for everyone.

Hopefully, (which I don't want SOPA/PIPA to pass but in the likelihood it does) the Germans would have offered free Internet to us all and enable other businesses to thrive in America.

I also supported SJG with some of my buys, which I needed: Low-Tech Instant Armor Table, High-Tech Weapon Table, and Power-Ups 2: Perks. ;) I am gonna go for Horror next time when my budget allows it.

Way to go for your efforts, SJG! You got my respect!
Huscurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #18
Blind Mapmaker

It's still a good idea to support those who oppose SOPA. Especially for those of us whose letters to some US politicians wouldn't do much good - i.e. foreigners. SJG has always been on the forefront of digital freedom of speech and that is something that is worthy of our support, whether we need a new GURPS supplement right now or not.
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:12 AM   #19
Mailanka

I picked up Spaceships 2. I'm sure with the blackout they'll have lost some business. Hopefully my little purchase will help make up for that.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #20
Ts_

Mysteries PDF. (But I would have bought it eventually anyway.) Also, see this as another vote from someone who doesn't have a vote in the US.

Ts
Ts_ is offline   Reply With Quote