Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
tg_ambro

Default [MH] The Corruptors

I've been running an MH game for a few months now, and have gotten great mileage out of demons and the undead. But now I'm looking for something a little more, interesting. So, I turn to vodoun and its In-Betweeners.

I didn't know anything about Vodoun beliefs until yesterday, and with only a day of Wikipedia gained knowledge, I've no delusions of expertise. I now know a little more, and I'm curious, who exactly are The Corruptors?

Everything I've read points to the Loa as being the "good guys" in that belief system. So are they a specific, real world, "nation" of spirits, or are "evil loa" a made up concept?

Also, what would be a good source for Vodoun lore, with an eye towards the gamable, and In-Betweeners?

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
fschiff

Default Re: [MH] The Corruptors

All of this, the In-Betweeners and the Corruptors, are from the 3rd ed book GURPS Voodoo, which is an excellent setting for what it calls the Shadow War. It is not 100% accurate with real world Voodoo belief.

Basically, the Corruptors are the bad guys in the Voodoo cosmologies. They are not Loa and the author calls them Mayombe (which is not particularly accurate in the real world). Normal people don't worship them.

Excellent book. Introduced what is now called the Path/Book magic system and a benevolent possession that is now called Spirit Vessel. 4th ed versions of those systems are in Thaumatology. There are several more in-betweeners and write-ups for the Loa.

Last edited by fschiff; 01-15-2012 at 10:55 PM. Reason: spelling loa
fschiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
Captain-Captain

Default Re: [MH] The Corruptors

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_ambro View Post
I've been running an MH game for a few months now, and have gotten great mileage out of demons and the undead. But now I'm looking for something a little more, interesting. So, I turn to vodoun and its In-Betweeners.

I didn't know anything about Vodoun beliefs until yesterday, and with only a day of Wikipedia gained knowledge, I've no delusions of expertise. I now know a little more, and I'm curious, who exactly are The Corruptors?

Everything I've read points to the Loa as being the "good guys" in that belief system. So are they a specific, real world, "nation" of spirits, or are "evil loa" a made up concept?

Also, what would be a good source for Vodoun lore, with an eye towards the gamable, and In-Betweeners?
Loa are good and evil, with allegedly good Loa being damn near indistinguishable from baddies.

In beteeners are mixtures of spirit and flesh. Detailed types found in the book.

Corruptors were the big bads behind it all an explicitly left undescribed.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monster hunters