Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
RyanW

Default Stun recovery

IDHMBWM, and I can't remember how stun recovery is timed.

Specifically, do you:

A) roll to recover at the beginning of your turn to see if you can act that turn.
B) roll to recover on that turn, still Do Nothing, but your defenses are no longer penalized.
C) roll to recover at the beginning of next turn, but continue to suffer defense penalties for the remainder of your current turn.

Of course, A & C are equivalent except for when you roll, and for whether you can ever act on your first turn of rolling.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: Stun recovery

You Do Nothing and then roll to recover on your first turn after being Stunned, and, if successful, are no longer at -4 to defend immediately and may act normally the turn after that.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
jacobmuller

Is it only for Surprise that mental and physical are different?
Mental (surprise) rolls at start of your turn but on a success you still Do Nothing and you're still defending at -4 but you act okay after.
Physical (injury) rolls at end of your next turn of Doing Nothing, ie you fail the HT check when you were injured and had to take Do Nothing as your next action but at it's end you get to reroll.
rerereading Do Nothing - they're the same in effect just phrased differently.

Last edited by jacobmuller; 06-16-2012 at 12:55 PM.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
RyanW

Okay, thanks. I'm just working out some basic logical flow to make a combat simulator. Hopefully soon I'll be able to set weapon skills, damage, HP, HT, etc. and run 10,000 (simplified) combats to see the effects of small changes.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Okay, thanks. I'm just working out some basic logical flow to make a combat simulator. Hopefully soon I'll be able to set weapon skills, damage, HP, HT, etc. and run 10,000 (simplified) combats to see the effects of small changes.
Yow. GURPS: Monte Carlo. Love to hear about progress. In your copious free time, it would be interesting to see how you track results; what's your output?

I might think you'd track:

1) Active Combatant status. Is either fighter Dead, KOed, or otherwise incpacitated (including a failed fright check to run away) on any given turn?

2) HP and FP remaining. Kind of a progress bar.

3) Incidence of "discontinuity event." Meaning a critical , a knockdown, failed stun rolls, that sort of thing. These events are what tend to make GURPS combats non-linear, since they can cut DR in half, render no defense possible, or eliminate the ability for an attacker to do anything. They're fight-altering events.

4) Fight-wide stats on percent hits with a given weapon, defenses that worked and didn't, etc.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
Witchking

Important note...

If "you" have Combat Reflexes you get a +6 on rolls to recover from surprise and mental stun...

Just a factor to keep in mind...but it is one of the lesser known benefits of Combat Reflexes...
Old 06-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
bcd

It's C), as explained under "Active Defense:" for the Do Nothing maneuver on p. B364.
bcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
Erik_Nielsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchking View Post
If "you" have Combat Reflexes you get a +6 on rolls to recover from surprise and mental stun...
Equally important note: Mental Stun and Physical Stun are two separate things [B419]. Mental Stun is what happens when you're Surprised [B393]; Physical Stun is what happens when you get hit really hard. Combat Reflexes does not help with Physical Stun.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik_Nielsen View Post
Equally important note: Mental Stun and Physical Stun are two separate things [B419]. Mental Stun is what happens when you're Surprised [B393]; Physical Stun is what happens when you get hit really hard. Combat Reflexes does not help with Physical Stun.
High Pain Threshold does apply against Physical Stun; by the wording of the advantage, it should apply to Mental Stun as well though the bits on Mental Stun don't support that interaction.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
High Pain Threshold does apply against Physical Stun; by the wording of the advantage, it should apply to Mental Stun as well though the bits on Mental Stun don't support that interaction.
High Pain Threshold specifically applies to rolls to avoid Stun + Knockdown, not to avoid other kinds of physical stunning or to recover from anything.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote