Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-25-2019, 03:05 AM   #681
dcarson

Default Re: Five Earths, All in a Row

And coast watchers. Back when my dad was alive he was in US Sub Vet of WW II. They local chapter (DelMarVa) had two associate members, one British, one German. The German one was married to a American woman who was a coast watcher on the Chesapeake Bay during the war and probably saw his sub at one point. One of the things if you put it in fiction the editor would complain it was too unrealistic.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:31 PM   #682
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
And coast watchers. Back when my dad was alive he was in US Sub Vet of WW II. They local chapter (DelMarVa) had two associate members, one British, one German. The German one was married to a American woman who was a coast watcher on the Chesapeake Bay during the war and probably saw his sub at one point. One of the things if you put it in fiction the editor would complain it was too unrealistic.
Yeah. Fiction has to make some degree of sense, real life is under no such constraint.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:24 PM   #683
Prince Charon

So, apparently I was wrong about how old the concept of masked superheroes is. Just recently watched Lost Hero of the Golden Age Episode 8: The First Super Hero (it's about nine minutes long), and apparently the early-Victorian 'prankster' criminal Spring-heeled Jack was turned into a fictional hero by the penny dreadfuls of the time. One warning, the music in the video can be a bit intrusive at times.

I'm currently thinking that the Spring-heel'd Jack of Earth-3 is a succession of different men (and maybe a woman or two) using the identity for their own purposes, some of which are relatively heroic, and some not. This was probably also the case with the Spring-heeled Jack of Earth-2.

EDIT: The previous video got deleted and replaced with Spring-heeled Jack: The First Super Hero, which is about twelve minutes long.

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 01-28-2020 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:08 PM   #684
dcarson

There is a wonderful fanfic that has a super in San Francisco called Spring Heeled Jackie. Her calling card

Lady Jacqueline Dacre
adventuress
Jahannum, London, San Francisco

She speaks and dresses with a Victorian style and accent.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:26 PM   #685
Prince Charon

I'm going to post this to the main discussion/development thread on SB.com shortly, but not everyone who reads this thread also reads that one, so I thought it might be useful to post this here, as well. One thing to note that was already mentioned there: In the 1933 King Kong movie (inspired, perhaps somewhat loosely, by events that took place on Earth-2 in 1932), the miniatures sets modeled Kong as about 18 feet tall on the island, but 24 feet tall in the city (maybe they thought he didn't look intimidating enough in the city at 18 feet tall, and figured no-one would notice, and/or didn't want to rebuild the island sets and reshoot the scenes).

I've been of the opinion for a while that the genus Gigantopithecus could have been more successful and widespread on Earth-2 than on Earth-1, with the yeti, sasquatch, skunk ape, and so on probably being members (unless the sasquatch is a hominin), possibly different races of a single species, possibly different species. Most of these creatures are very shy, especially around humans, and are unlikely to attack unless threatened and/or cornered.

One possible species that I've considered recently is Gigantopithecus kongi, named for the sole member known to Western science at this time (if King Kong is a member). The species experienced island gigantism through many thousands of years on Skull Island, and should normally stand ten to twelve feet tall (feet-to-meters converter, for those that want one) at adulthood - unless using one of the more esoteric variants below. They may be less shy then others of their genus... or maybe that's just Kong. Incidentally, I have not firmly decided how close the 1933 movie was to the events which took place in 1932. In particular, Kong might never have left the island.

Here are some options I'm considering for King Kong in this setting, which I would like opinions on:

1. King Kong is a normal but impressive example of his species, only about twelve to thirteen feet tall; large enough for a conmanshowman like Carl Denham to describe as the Eighth Wonder of the World, but it'd be a much harder sell. He may actually be the leader of a troop of his species, or perhaps king of all of them on the island.

2. Kong is a member of his species suffering from medical gigantism, about fourteen to fifteen feet tall, and is aggressive partly because he's in pain a lot of the time.

3. Kong uses psychokinesis and/or biokinesis to support his large body, such that he can plausibly be 18 feet tall, or even 24 feet. This is either unique to Kong himself, or very rare in his species.

4. As 3, but the ability is normal for Gigantopithecus kongi. This requires a much larger Skull Island, either historically or currently (if historically but not currently large, Kong may be the last of his species).

5. As 4, but rather than psychokinesis or biokinesis, the bodies of Gigantopithecus kongi contain exotic (but non-magical) materials that allow them to support large bodies on a primatoid body-plan. This not only requires a larger Skull Island as in 4, but one where those materials are common. Other species may also be exceptionally large.

6. Kong warps space or projects an ectoplasmic 'suit' around himself to create the effect of being larger and stronger, for defense and intimidation purposes (but doesn't need to eat much more than normal for his real size). The change in size between the island and the city (if he did get taken to a big city) could have happened, perhaps because the city scared him. Kong's real body might be roughly human-sized, or even smaller (indeed, he might be a human). Whether this is unique to Kong or normal for his race doesn't change much in terms of the size of Skull Island (though if he's human, there may never have been a race of Gigantopithecus present). After his death, his real body would have been revealed. Of course, he might not have died...

7. Kong is a local spirit or god, who prefers to manifest physically, and may have difficulty switching to astral, or may have allowed himself to be captured because he was curious. Again, the size change from the movie could have happened if Kong was indeed brought to the city. This Kong would be just as alive after the end of the movie as he was before, but likely would have returned to Skull Island when his physical manifestation 'died.'

As mentioned above, I'm not absolutely certain about Skull Island, so here are some options:

1. Skull Island is pretty much as seen in the movie, a remote, fairly small island that it's quite plausible could have gone uncharted for some time.

2. As 1, but Skull Island was historically much larger, on the order of Ireland, or even Madagascar. Skull Island is unstable, possibly due to vulcanism, or possibly due to being made from especially-erodable stone. This is somewhat consistent with the obscure sequel Son of Kong, though clearly it wouldn't sink that fast, nor are there likely to have been survivors that close to it if it did.

3. Skull Island is remote, but is fairly large, possibly the size of Ireland, and there may be some magic involved in it's going uncharted for so long... or perhaps it was deposited by a banestrom.

4. Skull Island is small, but the great doors seen in the movie cover a portal leading to a pocket dimension or another worldline. This is especially appropriate for Kong option 5, above.

5. Skull Island itself is in a pocket dimension or alternate worldline, accessible through a portal at sea (perhaps the ship passes between two smaller islands nearby). For both this and Skull Island option 4, above, if this is a full worldline rather than a pocket dimension, that's a lot of potential territory to explore, and new dangers to get eaten by... but Earth-2 is no stranger to that.

Thoughts?

-- Tacitus

Last edited by Prince Charon; 05-26-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:02 PM   #686
Prince Charon

OK, due to discussions on the SB.com thread, I'm eliminating Skull Island options 1 and 2, as they don't really work for a discovery in the 1930s, unless someone has a really good argument otherwise.

Still not really knowing what to do with Kong, though, so all seven options for him are still plausible.

-- Tacitus

Old 05-27-2019, 03:22 AM   #687
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Yeah. Fiction has to make some degree of sense, real life is under no such constraint.
I take it you haven't seen films like Eraserhead or Jacob's Ladder ;-)
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:06 AM   #688
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
I take it you haven't seen films like Eraserhead or Jacob's Ladder ;-)
No, I haven't. I was paraphrasing a popular quote that I'm blanking on the origin of.

On another note, for those who aren't reading the equivalent threads on other forums, something interesting was posted in the main discussion thread on SB.com:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLongerBreathedIn
Worth reading (mostly for humor value, but it's a great pseudoscholastic work):
Possible Bubbles of Spacetime Curvature in the South Pacific

-- Tacitus

Old 07-03-2019, 02:19 PM   #689
Prince Charon

Another Earth-1 military article, as the timeline update is stubbornly not ready yet:

Austrian Navy (Österreichische Bundesmarine)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ate%29.svg.png

Ranks

Insigina are based on those of the old Austro-Hungarian Navy. Being a republic, the crown found on AHN flag ranks has been replaced by the Coat of Arms of Austria, abbreviated CoAA, below. To get a better idea of what the ranks look like, here are the officer insignia of the Austro-Hungarian Navy, and the Unteroffiziere (NCOs) and below of the modern Austrian Armed Forces. For redundancy, here they are on the International Encyclopedia of Uniforms and Insignia: Austro-Hungarian Navy rank insignia, 1907 - 1918, and the Austrian Armed Forces, since 2002.

Because Austria is landlocked, it was decided that the addition of the term 'space' was not needed, as they have no other navy.

OF-10 Großadmiral (CoAA, wreathed, over three gold rings, top looped, over wide gold braid) (Wartime Only)

OF-9 Admiral (CoAA, over three gold rings, top looped, over wide gold braid)
OF-8 Vizeadmiral (CoAA, over two gold rings, top looped, over wide gold braid)
OF-7 Konteradmiral (CoAA, over one gold ring, looped, over wide gold braid)
OF-6 Flottillenadmiral (CoAA over wide gold braid)

OF-5 Linienschifftskapitän (three gold rings, top looped, over wide gold braid)
OF-4 Fregattenkapitän (two gold rings, top looped, over wide gold braid)
OF-3 Korvettenkapitän (one gold ring, looped, over wide gold braid)

OF-2 Linienschifftsleutenant (three gold rings, top looped)
OF-1 Fregattenleutenant (two gold rings, top looped)
OF-1 Raumfähnrich/Korvettenleutenant (one gold ring, looped)

OF(D) Raumkadett (one gold bar, looped)
OF(D) Raumaspirant (one gold bar)

OR-9 Oberstabsbootsmann (three silver stars, over two bars, bordered)
OR-8 Stabsbootsmann (two silver stars, over two bars, bordered)
OR-7 Unterbootsmann (one silver star, over two bars, bordered)
OR-6 Bootsmannsmaat (two silver stars, over one bar, bordered)

OR-5 Oberstabsmarsgast (one silver star, over one bar, bordered)
OR-4 Stabsmarsgast (three silver stars)
OR-3 Marsgast (two silver stars)
OR-2 Matrose 1.Klasse (one silver star)
OR-1 Matrose 2.Klasse (no insignia)

The uniforms are modernized variants of historical Austro-Hungarian Navy uniforms, save for a flightsuit based on that of the Austrian Air Force. Spacesuits are adapted from the flightsuit until 2015, when the Austrian Ministry of National Defence and Sport begins to purchase the Franco-German design.

Thoughts?

-- Tacitus

Last edited by Prince Charon; 09-02-2019 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:45 PM   #690
warellis

Been looking at an old entry, Operators, and I think this part is incorrect:
Quote:
“They seem to have different standards about a lot of things, don’t they? Don’t smoke, either, most of 'em, except for the occasional cee-gar.”
While the US military, like all portions of society, has cut down on tobacco use in comparison to the 1940s, tobacco use is still certainly far more prevalent in the military than the general population.

In fact currently, in our timeline in 2019, vaping has become more popular than smoking.

So honestly, I think special forces would still be smoking, because generally militaries have higher rates of tobacco use than civilian populations currently.
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 earths in a row, alternative earths, infinite worlds