Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-30-2010, 07:09 AM   #11
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Magic Resistance and Absorption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
The answer to the second question is: infinite (limited by availability of enemy spell casters casting sufficiently powerful magic at you) energy to power your own spells and imbuements.

Or am I misunderstanding? Can you purchase Energy Reserve (Magic) (Special Recharge, Hostile Magic, -70%) that will rapidly recharge on a per-effect basis when its' recharge condition is met? And by rapidly I mean anywhere from a couple energy to a few dozen energy per-effect? My understanding is that you have to purchase a method to recharge the Energy Reserve if it has the Special Recharge limitation, like, say, Leech or Absorptive DR? Am I wrong?
I don't think there is any canon way for you to have exactly what you want.

DR(Absorption) is very close but only applies to damage dealing abilities. It only translates _damage_ to pts. Not any and all general effects with a common Power Mod such as Magic.

Leech and Neutralize are _attacks_ which take something away from another character. Even with Aura or Emanation they are still attacks and not literally defenses. They won't affect incoming powers. they could only affect those power's users.

You could buy Regeneration (FP/Energy Reserve Only) that only worked while someone was trying to work magic on your elves but I think that's as close as you could get canonically. You wouldn't be able to get more than 10 FP Turn either.

As best as I can tell this is what you can get out of published works. If you as GM want to make a House Rule that Absorption could work on general effects (presumably with an appropriate and almost certainly very expensive GM create Enhancement) the Gurps Police won't come to your house and stop you.

As to what that Enhancement should cost you would probably be somewhere in the vicinity of Cosmic but I would say at much more than the +50% level. This could even be a +300 % type.

Tags
absorption, damage resistance, enhancement, magic, magic resistance