Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-29-2018, 09:32 AM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Very Large Spacecraft

So, I was wondering if anyone was willing to share any designs of SM+16 (10 million tons) or larger spacecraft? For, Star Destroyers in the Star Wars universe are given masses of anywhere from 30 million tons to 300 million tons (depending on the exact class), so they would be SM+17 to SM+19. Based on its dimensions, the Death Star of the Star Wars universe would have probably massed around 300 trillion tons, so it would have been an SM+31 object (meaning that its pricetag would have probably been in the quintillions of $, requiring a substantial proportion of the economies of millions of world's to construct). With those as just some of the examples of very large spacecraft, what are yours?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:57 AM   #2
Diomedes

Default Re: Very Large Spacecraft

A while back I made this three-mile-long dreadnaught:

Code:
Imperial Dreadnaught	Load:		60Mt	dDR:	4k+7k/14K
Unstreamlined		Cargo Cap:	50Mt
SM+20	(1000 Mt) TL11	Endurance:	Inf.

dST	7000	Move:	100G
dHP	7000	Hnd	-4
HT	13	SR	5
Occ:	 ASV

Cost	Crew	System				
Front Section
10T		[1]	Hardened Diamondoid Armor, dDR2k
10T		[2]	Hardened Diamondoid Armor, dDR2k
6T	10k	[!!!3]	Major Weapons Battery
			 300TJ Graviton Beam (3dx500(∞) cr, 15k/50k, +3)
6T	10k	[!!!4]	Medium Weapons Battery
			3x 100TJ Xaser Turrets (2dx500(5) burn sur, 70k/200k, +1)
10T	10k	[5]	Defensive ECM
		[6]	Cargo Hold (50Mt)

Center Section
1.5T	3k	[3a]	Tertiary Weapons Battery
			30x 128cm Super Missile Launchers (6dx32(2) cr, X, +7)
2.25T				15,000 Super Missiles
1.5T	3k	[3b]	Tertiary Weapons Battery
			30x 128cm Super Missile Launchers (6dx32(2) cr, X, +7)
2.25T				15,000 Super Missiles
1.5T	3k	[!3c]	Tertiary Weapons Battery
			30x 30GJ VRF Improved Particle Turrets (6dx10(5) burn rad sur, 1500/5k, -2)
1.5T	3k	[!4a]	Tertiary Weapons Battery
			30x 30GJ VRF Improved Particle Turrets (6dx10(5) burn rad sur, 1500/5k, -2)
1.5T	3k	[!4b]	Secondary Weapons Battery
			10x 1TJ RF Improved Particle Turrets (2dx100(5) burn rad sur, 3k/10k, -2)
1.5T	3k	[!4c]	Secondary Weapons Battery
			10x 1TJ RF Improved Particle Turrets (2dx100(5) burn rad sur, 3k/10k, -2)
1T	10k	[5]	Habitat (300,000 cabins, Total LS)
			25,000 Bunkrooms
			30,000 Regular Cabins
			10,000 Luxury Cabins
			5,000 Establishments
			100 Large Ops Centers
			500 Hospitals
40M			20,000 Nano-minifacs

100T	10k	[3/6!6]	Adj. Hard Heavy Force Screen, dDR7k/14k
30T	10k	[12ˇC]	Super Fusion Reactor

Rear Section
600B	3k	[3a]	Control Room (c15, C/S-19, 300 Stations)
30B	3k	[3b]	Tactical Array (C/S-21)
30B	3k	[3c]	Hangar Bay (10 Mt, 100kt/min)
6T	10k	[!!!4]	Super Reactionless Engine (50G)
6T	10k	[!!!5]	Super Reactionless Engine (50G)
30T	10k	[12ˇ6]	Super Fusion Reactor
10T	10k	[!!!C]	Stardrive (FTL-1)
1T		Artificial Gravity
1T		Gravitic Compensators
1.27B		High Automation
287,161.31B
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:24 PM   #3
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
So, I was wondering if anyone was willing to share any designs of SM+16 (10 million tons) or larger spacecraft? For, Star Destroyers in the Star Wars universe are given masses of anywhere from 30 million tons to 300 million tons (depending on the exact class), so they would be SM+17 to SM+19. Based on its dimensions, the Death Star of the Star Wars universe would have probably massed around 300 trillion tons, so it would have been an SM+31 object (meaning that its pricetag would have probably been in the quintillions of $, requiring a substantial proportion of the economies of millions of world's to construct). With those as just some of the examples of very large spacecraft, what are yours?
The Red Dwarf and the ship in the Starlost were vast too. Any stats that might help define those. Remember, the in-flight move on the elevator to the lower decks on the RED DWARF was Gone with the Wind, extended version.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:42 PM   #4
AlexanderHowl

Here is a less over-the-top version of a Death Star create by a more peaceable galactic empire. While it is capable of causing damage to planets with its 100 EJ main battery (the energy of its lasers is equivalent to around 24 billion metric tons of TNT), it exists as more as a deterrent than as a threat. During peacetime, it moves trillions of metric tons of cargo and billions of passengers throughout the galaxy, as it travels from sector to sector to show the flag of the galactic empire.

Galactic Defender (TL11^)

The Galactic Defender is a massive spacecraft with a diameter of 200 km and a mass of 300 trillion metric tons. With four trillion cabins, it possesses six hundred billion luxury cabins with total life support, six hundred billion offices, six hundred billion cabins of steerage cargo, sixty billion briefing rooms, sixty billion establishments, fifty billion minifacs (+$25P), fifty billion sickbays with automeds (+$5P), twenty billion cells with total life support, twenty billion craft shops, and twenty billion labs (+$60P). It possesses a crew of two hundred forty billion people divided into four shifts, allowing it to carry three hundred sixty billion passengers. It carries 45 trillion metric tons of cargo, 30 trillion metric tons of secondary spacecraft, and 3 trillion metric tons of steerage cargo. With $1.6 quintillion worth of secondary craft and cargo, the total cost of the Galactic Defender is $45 quintillion, representing over nine percent of the annual product of one million developed TL11 planets, an appropriate flagship for a galactic fleet.

Size: SM+31 (300,000,000,000,000 metric tons)
Hull: Unstreamlined

Components:

Front Hull-
[1]: Diamondoid Armor (Hardened; dDR 200,000; $6E)
[2]: Cargo Hold (15T metric tons)
[3]: Habitat (Cabins 2T; WS 30B; $300P)
[4]: Hanger Bay (10T metric tons; 1G metric tons/hour; WS 30B; $30P)
[5]: Open Space (Areas 50M; WS 30B; $5T)
[6]: Weapon Battery (Major; -1 PP; 1 Phased Laser Fixed Mount; 100 EJ; WS 30B; $1.5E)

Central Hull-
[Core]: Control Room (C22; C/S 31; CS 30,000; WS 30B; $600P)
[3]: Habitat (Cabins 2T; WS 30B; $300P)
[5]: Open Space (Areas 50M; WS 30B; $5T)
[6]: Weapon Battery (Tertiary; -1 PP; 30 Phased Laser Turrets; 3 EJ; WS 30B; $1.5E)

Rear Hull-
[Core]: Super Fusion (PP 4; WS 30B; $10E)
[3]: Force Screen (Light; -1 PP; dDR 500,000; WS 30B; $5E)
[5]: Reactionless Engine (Super Reactionless; -1 PP; WS 30B; $2E)
[6]: Stardrive Engine (Hyperdrive; -1 PP; WS 30B; $3E)

Features-
[1]: Artificial Gravity ($300P)
[2]: Automation (High; WS 420B [WS 42B]; $420P)
[3]: Gravitic Compensator ($300P)

Statistics:
Cost: $43.4E (plus $1.6E)

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 07-29-2018 at 03:59 PM.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:48 PM   #5
cvannrederode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Here is a less over-the-top version of a Death Star create by a more peaceable galactic empire. While it is capable of causing damage to planets with its 100 EJ main battery (the energy of its lasers is equivalent to around 24 billion metric tons of TNT), it exists as more as a deterrent than as a threat. During peacetime, it moves trillions of metric tons of cargo and billions of passengers throughout the galaxy, as it travels from sector to sector to show the flag of the galactic empire.

Galactic Defender (TL11^)

The Galactic Defender is a massive spacecraft with a diameter of 200 km and a mass of 300 trillion metric tons. With four trillion cabins, it possesses six hundred billion luxury cabins with total life support, six hundred billion offices, six hundred billion cabins of steerage cargo, sixty billion briefing rooms, sixty billion establishments, fifty billion minifacs (+$25P), fifty billion sickbays with automeds (+$5P), twenty billion cells with total life support, twenty billion craft shops, and twenty billion labs (+$60P). It possesses a crew of two hundred forty billion people divided into four shifts, allowing it to carry three hundred sixty billion passengers. It carries 45 trillion metric tons of cargo, 30 trillion metric tons of secondary spacecraft, and 3 trillion metric tons of steerage cargo. With $1.6 quintillion worth of secondary craft and cargo, the total cost of the Galactic Defender is $45 quintillion, representing over nine percent of the annual product of one million developed TL11 planets, an appropriate flagship for a galactic fleet.
If I remember correctly, there were far less than 240 billion people on the Death Star. According to Wikipedia (with a couple of good links):

Quote:
The canonical population of the first Death Star was 1.7 million military personnel, 400,000 maintenance droids, and 250,000 civilians/ associated contractors.
I've used Excel to continue all the tables in SS out to SM +40 (Earth is SM +39). And the largest ship that I've made personally is SM +27 (mostly rock with a SM +26 core). I think beyond that size, the rules start to break down (the square/cube law just gets extreme) and its easier to just say "this is what they have, this is what they can do." In my own campaign setting, things that size generally start out as natural objects and then have components built into them--instead of being built from scratch.

Also, I have a few SM +17 buildings, and I felt going into precise, detailed counts of what's in the habitats was unneeded. They're arcologies, and the insides are like small towns, so anything the PCs would need, they could find. (Mostly bars).
cvannrederode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:55 PM   #6
cvannrederode

Here is my own SM +27 design. It is a "World" ship from an AI machine race. It is built with no superscience other than a singularity reactionless drive (so it's an STL) Other than that I believe it is TL12, but I'm not sure; this ship was designed a couple of years ago (or more).

World Ship (medium)

This ship is almost too big to handle with normal rules. To construct this ship, a 50 mile diameter sphere (that’s SM +27) is crisscrossed with passages, spaces, and support beams, and the ship is built inside. Its basic principle is the same as the small world ship, just scaled up to SM +26, and built inside a SM +27, 3 trillion ton ball of rock. The 24 graser turrets may seem minor, but at 1 Pj each, they are a force of nature. Its Computer network is capable of running volitional AIs of up to IQ 31!

Front Hull System
[1-5] Stone Armor (dDR 2,000 each)
[6] 3 Small systems (2 Hangers at 30B tons each, 1 Tertiary Battery! With 24 turreted 1 Pj Rapid fire Graser beams and 9B tons cargo)

Center Hull System
[6] 3 Small systems (2 Cargo holds with 50B tons each, Nanofactory! with $150T/hr capacity)
[core] Control Room (C19, Comm/Sensor 28)

Aft Hull System
[6]! Singularity Powered Standard Reactionless Drive
[core] Fusion Reactor (de-rated to 1 power point, 3,000 years)

The ship has total automation. Any number of smaller swarm units may be carried in cargo to facilitate repair. Cost of the ship was not figured; it is irrelevant.

TL Spacecraft dST/HP Hnd/SR HT Move LWt. Load SM Occ dDR Range Cost
12^ Med World Ship 100,000 -7/5 13 1G/c 3T 169B +27 0 10,000 - N/A
cvannrederode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:40 PM   #7
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

About ten years ago, I put up a conversion of Phobos, the Martian Moon, into an alien generation ship. As you can see, Stickney Crater is a perfect emitter for a drive plume / energy cannon.

Here's a reprint.
================================================

Phobos, Moon of Mars
Asteroid converted into a generation ship.

TL 12
SM +25
Loaded: 330 billion tons
dST/HP 20,000 (cST/HP: 2000; mST/HP 200)
Hnd/SR -6/5
HT 13
dDR 1000 (cDR 100; mDR 10)
Occ: 3000 crew + 200 million passengers ASV
Move 50G
Lwt 30 million tons
Cost: $136,131,050,000,000,000 (a bloody lot)

Front:
[1] Stone Armor
[2] Multipurpose sensor array
[3!] Ramscoop/Magsail (reconfigurable equipment)
[4] Mining Equipment
[5] Refinery
[6!] Spinal Battery (Antiparticle Beam)

Middle:
[1] Stone Armor
[2-3] Habitat (Total Life Support)
[4] Hangar Bay
[5-6] Open Spaces (1 million areas = 1562.5 square miles)
[Core!] Spinal Battery (Antiparticle Beam)

Rear:
[1] Stone Armor
[2] Control Room
[3] Total Conversion Reactor (5 Power Points)
[4!] Heavy Force Screen
[5] Factory: Replicator
[6!] Super Conversion Torch Drive/Spinal Battery Antiparticle Beam Emitter (reconfigurable equipment)
[Core] Fuel Tank

Other Systems: Spin Gravity; Fully Automated

Phobos is one of the moons of Mars. This vessel can be an ancient artifact or a future reconstruction. It can house 200 million passengers in comfort.

Phobos uses a total conversion power system. The torch drive also doubles as an antiparticle cannon (300 PJ, dDmg 3dx10,000), so it can only fire when the stern is pointed toward a target.

The ramscoop can gather up interstellar gas for fuel (although it could run on rock if necessary). Also, the ramscoop can function as a magsail.
================================================

Also, I remember long ago reading a Vehicles 3e version of a mining ship large enough to park Earth in it's cargo bay, but I can't locate it now.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:00 PM   #8
Astromancer

I've no idea how big the Red Dwarf was, but Earthship Ark from Starlost was supposed to be 30 miles wide and 120 miles long. Neither dimension sounds quite right when you remember what the ship looked like. Yes, I know the Starlost was bad TV, but it looks like good roleplaying.

How would you really stat a ship ten times longer than Manhattan?

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:11 PM   #9
(E)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
I've no idea how big the Red Dwarf was, but Earthship Ark from Starlost was supposed to be 30 miles wide and 120 miles long. Neither dimension sounds quite right when you remember what the ship looked like. Yes, I know the Starlost was bad TV, but it looks like good roleplaying.

According to a wiki Red Dwarf is 10km by 8km by 6km.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:34 PM   #10
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post

I think I'd go with 'vague generalities,' but the 'Small Systems' option helps (though it likely should be several levels smaller, thus lots of systems). It's what I plan to use for the SM +17 or greater Planetary Siege Fortresses in Five Earths (see .sig). I keep thinking I should start a design thread to get help for that, though.

cvannrederode's World Ship helps with that, a bit.

Statting the Death Stars could also be interesting, though apart from the power system and main gun, I'd say that again a lot of Small Systems would be used.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote