Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 03-03-2014, 11:45 PM   #1
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Default JTAS Domestic Violence

I'm curious if anyone liked this adventure - it was a bit more of a "drop in encounter" than usual.

Last edited by David L Pulver; 03-03-2014 at 11:48 PM.
David L Pulver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
Drifter

Default Re: JTAS Domestic Violence

I thought it was great. You've really been pushing the envelope on the subject matter lately. While it borders on uncomfortable, its also compelling.

I don't know if I'd use the adventure as written, however. I think I'd give my players a chance to save some of the victims. As is the setting is a little dark for my taste; I'd lift it by offering the players a slim chance of battling through to save people, somehow; without giving away the adventure to anyone here who hasn't read it yet. Then again the title doesn't pull punches either, so you know what you're getting into.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
PoorMerchant

Hi,
I thought it was first class (and rated it as such). Not too dark at all - but then I find the Imperium a bit happy clappy as written in canon. My ISW stuff is rather grittier in tone.

I loved it, and if I had anyone I could inflict it upon, I wouldn't hesitate to drop it into a campaign. More like this please!

Malc
PoorMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:38 PM   #4
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
I thought it was great. You've really been pushing the envelope on the subject matter lately. While it borders on uncomfortable, its also compelling.
Thanks!

Yep, it did turn out a little darker than I expected as well, but I felt the subject matter needed a somewhat serious treatment. The PCs can still save a lot of lives, though...
Old 03-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #5
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMerchant View Post
Hi,
I thought it was first class (and rated it as such). Not too dark at all - but then I find the Imperium a bit happy clappy as written in canon. My ISW stuff is rather grittier in tone.

I loved it, and if I had anyone I could inflict it upon, I wouldn't hesitate to drop it into a campaign. More like this please!

Malc
I'm glad you enjoyed it - I appreciate the feedback! It was interesting to extrapolate a real issue into a science fiction setting, and also to take a look at the
the often overlooked dangers of private spaceship operation.

Last edited by David L Pulver; 03-05-2014 at 05:50 PM.
David L Pulver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:02 AM   #6
Bill Cameron

Speaking of JTAS, when will we be able to purchase subscriptions again? e23 has listed JTAS as unavailable for purchase for some time now.
Bill Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #7
Drifter

As of 22 Feb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
The IT folks are aware of subscription issues (JTAS and Pyramid) with the new store; hopefully they'll be sorted out soon.
I see that the Pyramid issue was fixed but JTAS still does not have a purchase option.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #8
PoorMerchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
I'm glad you enjoyed it - I appreciate the feedback! It was interesting to extrapolate a real issue into a science fiction setting, and also to take a look at the
the often overlooked dangers of private spaceship operation.
Isn't all the best sci-fi extrapolation of real issues taken to their logical conclusion? Isn't that why most good sci fi is as much a product of it's time as any other fiction?

Either way, I really enjoyed this one and would love to see much more of this kind of stuff.
PoorMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:52 PM   #9
vanimo

Frankly, I found the short adventure to be fantastic. It could be used in almost any setting, by almost any starship crew (adjust some of the minor details if necessary), and creates an instant draw in its need to rescue innocents. I really felt the fear, desperation, and urgency of the adventure with its dual threat to loss of life. From the start of the scenario with the radio transmission to the various possible endings, it has all of the elements that I consider are necessary for a good game.
vanimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:12 AM   #10
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanimo View Post
Frankly, I found the short adventure to be fantastic. It could be used in almost any setting, by almost any starship crew (adjust some of the minor details if necessary), and creates an instant draw in its need to rescue innocents. I really felt the fear, desperation, and urgency of the adventure with its dual threat to loss of life. From the start of the scenario with the radio transmission to the various possible endings, it has all of the elements that I consider are necessary for a good game.
Thanks! I'm very pleased it worked for out for you.

(If anyone runs it, let me know how its turns out...)