Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-17-2018, 07:00 PM   #31
Andreas

Default Re: Volumetric Sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
If you think a sense somehow doesn't include that processing, it really means you built it incorrectly (if you're arguing that AE isn't the way to include multiple points of view, say -- though it would seem to be pointless otherwise, as most senses cover an area as it is) or that the basic form is incorrectly priced -- not that you need to throw in other vaguely-related advantages to get the CP cost back where you want it. Just call it Unusual Background, or preferably just adjust the prices for the sense directly for your game.
The list of advantages I suggested doesn't include AE. The most relevant advantage in that list is Penetrating Vision and that advantage clearly doesn't include such processing, so it is not an issue of price like that.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:34 PM   #32
Refplace

Compartmentalized Mind with Clairsentience will do the job, its just expensive,
However if you allow it with the Super Effort enhancement from GURPS Supers it works
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:42 AM   #33
munin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
… Area Effect 10, for example, covers over half a mile, for +500%. That means, on 360 Vision, that it would cost 150 points to see everything, from all sides, constantly. Compare that to Clairsentience (Clairvoyance, -10%; Increased Range, X100, +60%) [75] - half the price, sure, but it only lets you project your normal vision to one place within that half-mile range, requires a roll to do so, and you're still limited by your normal limits on sight. The 360 Vision with Area Effect has much more than just twice the utility of the Clairsentience build.
I think this will be the way I go though. It seems the cleanest model of what I what: all-around vision, from every point in an area.

As to cost, well, Clairvoyance increases its range less expensively, so comparing them depends on what range you choose.

I think what I'll do, and perhaps this will make you more comfortable with it, is that you can either go big picture, not focusing on anything in particular, in which case it requires a Per roll to notice something interesting happening (like scanning a crowd); or you can focus on something, take a specific POV, and then it requires a Per-2 roll to notice something else interesting. Enhanced Tracking can allow you to focus on multiple things at the same time, but you still have a chance to notice things elsewhere.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote