Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-28-2017, 11:04 AM   #21
Daigoro

Default Re: Space Opera Box set Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Similarly with spaceships, I would highly recommend using GURPS Spaceships rules to design the spaceships and provide maybe a dozen various ships for use (Free Traders, Pirate Corsair, Patrol Frigate, Patrol Scout, etc), but the Space Opera box set should *NOT* include the spaceship design system.
I think there's possibility for a middle ground here. There are still players who enjoy building starships and find that kind of thing nostalgic, it just doesn't have to be at Spaceships' level of genericness.

As a genre treatment, most of the design switches would be stuck on a particular value- especially TL, but also drive type, superscience level and general scientific "hardness", which would simplify things a great deal. Then focus more on "fluff" options- instead of just Standard or Hot Reactionless Drives, add cost, performance and reliability modifiers for different flavours of drive, such as military surplus, junkyard scrap, cutting edge or shiny bling. This could probably be done much the same way DF does with Cost Factors.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:23 AM   #22
JMason

Well, the little bits of information I've heard about David Pulver's space setting interest me. I think the focus is on a sand-box game with trading, exploration, etc. In fact I get a Traveller when it was more frame work than setting, vibe from it. And that's exactly what I think a GURPS Space boxed set should be!
Old 08-28-2017, 11:26 AM   #23
The Cardinal

If we go by the established pdf lines, then "Space Opera" is more like "Action" and "After the End", i.e. a wide variety of characters experiencing a broad spectrum of adventures in a certain kind of setting. "Dungeon Fantasy" OTOH is more like "Monster Hunters", i.e. certain character types experiencing a very goal-oriented type of adventures in a setting which is also largely defined by the tasks it presents (dungeons filled with monsters, traps, and treasures in a world with spell-magic and tolkienesque races / supernatural monsters from myth and movies hiding & hunting in *our* modern world).

So I guess a Space Opera box should cover all kinds of professions - from rogue-ish smugglers & rebels to space marines, psionic martial artists, scientists, explorers, colonists, and space cops - all in a *vast* galactic setting with lots of unexplored, law-less or forgotten sectors. Throw in half-a-dozen sentient alien races, some progenitor relics, a few competing federations, empires, and "wild frontiers" - and you're done.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:32 AM   #24
Phantasm

Allow me to toss in my vote for a GURPS Psi-Wars boxed set from Mailanka.

Pros: It's well-developed enough to be playable for those that like the Star Wars paradigm, it's not just "Star Wars with the serial numbers filed off" in many respects (Psi-Wars' psionics don't come with "dark side taint", f'rex). It's detailed enough to be playable while leaving a lot open for development by GMs and player groups.

Cons: Mailanka would be giving up the rights to the setting to SJGames, unless there's wording in the contract allowing him to retain the ability to port the setting to other systems on his own.

I once made up a bunch of ships for a space opera setting using Spaceships, taking inspiration from Star Wars, later Wing Commander games, and in one case Star Trek, and offer them as possible inclusions to our hypothetical Psi-Wars boxed set.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:17 PM   #25
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
When I'm talking with my players, I say "mission statement."
I think this is workable.
Have a Missions chapter with different sections for each mission type. Some examples would be To Boldly Go (Star mapping, Exploration); Explore New Worlds (First In); Defend the Republic (Military); To Protect and Serve (Star cops), etc.

I think enough templates could exist to cover a good variety of options.
However I have a question. What about templates with Lens?
Say a Crewman profession template with job lens such as Gunner, Officer, Marine, Captain, Pilot, Engineer, etc.
Too complicated? I would like level 25 templates that could be stacked so each takes 2 that way you could have a Captain Lens. Too much?
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:19 PM   #26
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
Well, the little bits of information I've heard about David Pulver's space setting interest me. I think the focus is on a sand-box game with trading, exploration, etc. In fact I get a Traveller when it was more frame work than setting, vibe from it. And that's exactly what I think a GURPS Space boxed set should be!
If that's what you've come to understand about David's game . . . then I've done my job right. :-)
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:17 PM   #27
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I think this is workable.
Have a Missions chapter with different sections for each mission type. Some examples would be To Boldly Go (Star mapping, Exploration); Explore New Worlds (First In); Defend the Republic (Military); To Protect and Serve (Star cops), etc.

I think enough templates could exist to cover a good variety of options.
However I have a question. What about templates with Lens?
Say a Crewman profession template with job lens such as Gunner, Officer, Marine, Captain, Pilot, Engineer, etc.
Too complicated? I would like level 25 templates that could be stacked so each takes 2 that way you could have a Captain Lens. Too much?
Personally I think lenses would defiantly be the way to go, especially if you want to offer more than one Campaign Activity in the set. For starters, the primary difference between a Scout, Star Cop, and Navy Crew is largely going to be through a Service & vocational lens covering Patron, Legal Powers, and a few skill subsets. With a proper set of motivational lenses you can even fit Space Pirate into the mix as an option. So a set of lenses allowing the basic "Starship Crew" templates to fit a variety of roles makes sense to me.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 08-28-2017 at 05:00 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:30 PM   #28
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Is there some reason we shouldn't use the existing space opera setting, GURPS Tales of the Solar Patrol? Why re-invent the wheel?
There's already been a couple good responses to this, but I did want to add that I really liked Tales of the Solar Patrol. The artwork and vibe hit on all cylinders and I think it was a terrific book that did a good job of connecting with the golden age sci-fi material like John Carter or Flash Gordon. I would want a Space Opera box set to have that same kind of vibe with its artwork and tone, much like the DFRPG has.

However, the setting is just too limited an appeal. Most people think star hopping or galaxy spanning when they think Space Opera, not Venutians stealing our women and Martians waging war on us. A hypothetical Space Opera box set needs to have both a broader scope and a less restricted setting.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:45 PM   #29
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Then focus more on "fluff" options- instead of just Standard or Hot Reactionless Drives, add cost, performance and reliability modifiers for different flavours of drive, such as military surplus, junkyard scrap, cutting edge or shiny bling. This could probably be done much the same way DF does with Cost Factors.
I didn't say that rules for ship customization couldn't be included, just that the entire design system is already available in it's own - relatively cheap - book. I think most of what you're talking about could be done by offering variant spaceships (A "Fast" Corsair or an "Armed" Free Trader) or some simple customization rules:

Upgrade to Hot Reactionless for $1M
Upgrade to Super-FTL for $10M, uses 2 Power Points instead of 1 power point.
Upgrade to Heavy Force Screen for $8M; provides double dDR if 2 power points are applied instead of 1 power point.
Add a Stealth Hull for $2M and/or Dynamic Chameleon for $1M
Swap a Cargo Hold for one of the following:
-Weapon Turret, $2M, uses 1 Power Point if Beam Weapon
-Cloaking Device, $10M, uses 1 Power Point
-Passenger Cabins, $0.2M

etc, etc, etc. Then throw in a few other switches, such as the Ship Quality modifiers from Spaceships 2, p. 27. But none of that really requires porting over the entire design system from GURPS Spaceships.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:54 PM   #30
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Noting that the Halo license is available again.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boxed sets, entry products