Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-09-2017, 07:59 PM   #1
PL Madeira

Default [Sorcery] Scrolls

I was thinking about allowing sorcerers to make scrolls in my games, but i'm not sure how to do it.
I was thinking on using the alchemy rules, but replacing Alchemy skill with Symbol Drawing skill.
What do you guys think?
PL Madeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:10 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: [Sorcery] Scrolls

Most spells could be done using Trigger or even an Affliction where more control might be needed.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:22 PM   #3
PL Madeira

It wouldn't be very different from an elixir; a single-use magic item. It would allow the character to cast the spell once and then dissappear, but, unlike elixirs, it would cost 1 FP to cast normally.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:32 PM   #4
hal

If this were Ritual Path Magic, the answer would be a question:

What is the difference between a scroll that casts a spell instantly upon the completion of reading the scroll, and a spell that is cast instantly upon breaking a charm? The only real difference between the two would be that one takes longer to start and finish the time required before the spell gets cast, versus the longer time that doing the ritual from scratch would take.

But, this is Sorcery, which I don't think I bothered to read all to much when it first came out. :(
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:37 AM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
But, this is Sorcery, which I don't think I bothered to read all to much when it first came out. :(
Sorcery is Powers as Magic.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:01 AM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

You can take the same ability as a spell with gadget modifiers (make sure Can be Stolen is the usable by anyone variation), one-use only and a Magic PM (instead of Sorcery, so that it doesn't require Sorcerous Empowerment). Allow Sorcerers who know the spell to use Meditative Magic to generate some or all of the character points to buy the ability, and then they can simply give them away, lowering their point total and increasing the recipient's accordingly. Optionally require a Thaumatology roll, with complementary Symbol Drawing to do it.

This whole enchantment with powers thing keeps coming up, but it really seems to be fairly obvious to me. Maybe I should blog about this with examples.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:09 AM   #7
PL Madeira

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
You can take the same ability as a spell with gadget modifiers (make sure Can be Stolen is the usable by anyone variation), one-use only and a Magic PM (instead of Sorcery, so that it doesn't require Sorcerous Empowerment). Allow Sorcerers who know the spell to use Meditative Magic to generate some or all of the character points to buy the ability, and then they can simply give them away, lowering their point total and increasing the recipient's accordingly. Optionally require a Thaumatology roll, with complementary Symbol Drawing to do it.
I suppose the rules of magic items already use those directions on the EP costs. The EP of elixirs is 0.2, because it's a single-use magic item, and the enchanting rules already have directions on allowing non-sorcerers using sorcerous artifacts.
My question is more on the process of creating the scroll (and perhaps using it), I was thinking on symbol drawing (plus talent) to create it and maybe Thaumatology to read it (although I don't think that a skill to read it should be mandatory). But, with those differences, I don't know if we keep the 0.2 elixir EP multiplier or if we change it, and I suppose scrolls would take a lot more time than potions to make (you can't make a batch of scrolls).
Old 06-10-2017, 03:16 PM   #8
rkbrown419

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post

This whole enchantment with powers thing keeps coming up, but it really seems to be fairly obvious to me. Maybe I should blog about this with examples.
Except with Sorcerous Enchantment you only spend the CP used from personal sacrifice (minimum 1/10 of the EP according to Thaumatology Sorcery pg 30) and the recipient of the item doesn't need to worry about the CP cost unless you use the bonding cost option. You're on the right track with the can be stolen and other modifiers since that's what the form modifiers are based on. As I work it out though the modifier ends up being about the same as the one for alchemy since modifiers max out at -80% and glass jar and a piece of paper end up in the same range of DR for the breakable modifier. However there is no way I can conceive of doing scrolls in batches so you lose that cost break for making several scrolls.
The only obstacle I can see is the GM gets final say over what spells can be turned into potions or scrolls.
rkbrown419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:29 PM   #9
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbrown419 View Post
However there is no way I can conceive of doing scrolls in batches so you lose that cost break for making several scrolls.
There's a really nifty mechanical device that via the clever use of levers allows an artist to draw multiple copies at once. If you get very tricksy, you can even scale up or down.
I believe it dates from the renaissance. I can't remember the name for it though. I've texted my mother, I'll see if she remembers.
EDIT: A Pantograph! Dates to 1603.
EDIT 2: and Jefferson used a Polygraph, which was specifically designed for multi-writing.

Last edited by Bruno; 06-10-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:07 PM   #10
munin

Or just stack the blank srolls on top of each other and use a special ink that "soaks" through all layers as you write? It's a magical process, it can be anything you want.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote