Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-20-2014, 03:11 PM   #11
Figleaf23
Banned

Default Re: Stone Rhino-Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
Not really into this design, though; looks like a rhino with tiger-related chrome, not a Rhino-Tiger. If I was building this, I'd go with a sleeker body shape that retains the tiger's jumping and climbing ability and let it make up what it loses in bulk by being made out of stone. C'mon, it's made out of stone... how can we not want it ambushing people from above? :]
On first reading the OP, I kind of imagined it as a temple lion with a honking great horn on it's snout.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #12
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
On first reading the OP, I kind of imagined it as a temple lion with a honking great horn on it's snout.
Same here - the Ki-lin look is definitely a possibility for this critter.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:23 PM   #13
aleuhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Take a template for a rhino, and one for a tiger, merge them (taking the higher value traits when they conflict), and add the Body of Stone Metatrait.
Problem with this idea is I can't find a template for a rhino. I've scoured the internet. It appears even the 4e Bestiary hasn't been published yet.
aleuhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:30 PM   #14
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuhe View Post
Problem with this idea is I can't find a template for a rhino. I've scoured the internet. It appears even the 4e Bestiary hasn't been published yet.
Someone linked to the site earlier, but here's a rhino particularly.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:34 PM   #15
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Someone linked to the site earlier, but here's a rhino particularly.
Looks like the template doesn't work if you just copy the link location. It probably uses cookies or something to track the input parameters (mass, gender, that sort of thing). You can select options from here to build your own Rhino. His site also has tigers, of course.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:23 PM   #16
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoFenton View Post
True, but if you lose too much of the rhino shape, it just looks like a tiger with a horn. Yes this specific example is made of stone, but I'm sure not all Rhino-Tigers are, they still need that extra ST and natural armour!
I'm picturing something with an exterior kind of like the Indian Rhinoceros, specifically, with thick, leathery folds of flesh that drape it like armor and make it harder to grapple, especially around the neck in males. In the stone version these are, of course, merely an ornamental vestige (retained because of its key role in the fleshy Rhino-Tiger base species' mate-selection behavior, of course...)
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:57 PM   #17
Anthony

Okay, let's assume that it's the size of a rhino, not the size of a tiger, because the tiger version isn't all that impressive. Then, we'll triple its weight, since marble (standard statue material) is about 3x the density of flesh. A male Indian Rhino is around 4,600 lb, so we'll go with a weight of 14,000 lb. Also, it's homogenous, so it has hp = 8 x 14,000^1/3 or 192. On reflection, let's make it on the big end, 15,600 lb, HP 200. There are no particular standards for the ST of homogenous creatures, we might go with anywhere from 50 (same as a living creature) to 200. I'm sort of liking ST 100, as that means it can lift its own weight, but not easily. Still, we'll keep the full hit points, because we want it to be able to charge credibly. We'll give it the other stats of a tiger, only we'll add the Body of Stone metatrait, maybe some additional DR on top of that, bad temper, and a Striker (Impaling, cannot parry, limited arc [2]) to represent the horn. Maybe some skull DR as well. Overall, it looks sort of like this
Quote:
Stone Rhino-Tiger (659 points)
ST 100 [360*]; DX 13[36]; IQ 4[-120]; HT 11[10].
Will 11[35]; Per 12[40]; Speed 6[0]; Dodge 10[0]; Move 10[20]; HP 200[160*].
SM +2 (3 hexes); 15,600 lbs.
Traits: Bad Temper[-10]; Body of Stone[140]; Combat Reflexes[15]; DR 3[15] (total 8); Night Vision 5[5]; Quadruped[-35]; Sharp Claws[5]; Sharp Teeth[1]; Striker (Impaling, Limited Arc, Cannot Parry)[2]; Wild Animal[-30].
Skills: Brawling-15[4]; Sumo-14[4]; Stealth-13[2]
Attacks: claw or bite 11d+11 cut, horn 11d+22 imp, slam 2d per hex of move (20d at full speed).
In DF, you might want to give it some other abilities, as it will have trouble hitting people.

Last edited by Anthony; 05-20-2014 at 10:32 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:50 PM   #18
Anaraxes

I like it. Kind of terrifying, actually. How many points, for the sake of calculating the Ally cost in the OP?
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #19
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
I like it. Kind of terrifying, actually. How many points, for the sake of calculating the Ally cost in the OP?
Probably way too many, since I wasn't making an effort to be point efficient. Almost certainly 500+. Edit: calculated now. 659. If you want a budget version, halve both HP and ST, which will save 280 points for a total of only 379.

Last edited by Anthony; 05-20-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:49 PM   #20
Anaraxes

How about Catfall and/or some Super Jumping, to help keep Gold & Appel happy?
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote