Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 02-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
joshualevy

Default Classic Traveller GCA Data File (not ISWs)

I run a "GURPS Traveller 4th Edition" game, by which I mean that I use the GURPS 4th edition core rules, and the GURPS Traveller supplements (even though they are 3rd edition). I don't use Interstellar Wars at all. This works fine from a rules point of view, but dealing with GCA is very frustrating, because the only data file that I can find is for Interstellar Wars, and it doesn't have what I want in it.

So, I'm going to create a more classic Traveller GCA data file. My goal is to have a draft version in about a month, and a better version in another month. I'm not trying to create the perfect data file, just something that is better than nothing.

So If you have anything you'd like to see in a GCA data file for Traveller, please post it here!

I'll put in what I can, and keep a list of what I don't. (In particular, for this first round, I'm going to focus on smaller things, like Equipment, Advantages, Skills, Languages, etc. and just keep a list of bigger things like job templates and racial templates for future work.)

Also, if you are interested in beta testing the data file, please send me a private message, and I'll tell you when it is ready for that. (I will ask you to send me the characters you create, so I can see what you did with it.)

Finally, if you know of any Traveller GCA materials (Not ISWs) that I can reuse, then please send it to me, or tell me where it is. It would be great if someone, somewhere has some of the Traveller job templates!

Thanks.

Joshua Levy
joshualevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
Thomson

Default Re: Classic Traveller GCA Data File (not ISWs)

Hm, I see the main problem in squeezing the Traveller TL into the GURPS TL.

Interstellar Wars allowed the Terrans TL 11, which is basically Traveller TL 12.

So we will have
  • GURPS TL 1-8: Traveller TL 1-8 (about)
  • GURPS TL 9: Traveller TL 9-10
  • GURPS TL 10: Traveller TL TL11 (was GURPS TL 9 in old GURPS Traveller!)
  • early GURPS TL 11: Traveller TL 12 (was GURPS TL 10 in old GURPS Traveller!)
  • late GURPS TL 11: Traveller TL 13 (was GURPS TL 10 in old GURPS Traveller!)
  • early GURPS TL 12: Traveller TL 14 (was GURPS TL 11 in old GURPS Traveller!)
  • mid GURPS TL 12: Traveller TL 15 (was GURPS TL 12 in old GURPS Traveller!)
  • late GURPS TL 12: Traveller TL 16+ (was GURPS TL 13 in old GURPS Traveller!)
This is a little awkward. The old GURPS TL system was easier to match with the Traveller System.

So Jump 4 drives would be available at TL 11 and Jump 6 at TL 12.
So basically that means
  • move the old late TL 9 stuff into TL 10
  • move the old TL 10 stuff into TL 11
  • move the old TL 11-13 stuff into TL 12(!)

Last edited by Thomson; 03-09-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
joshualevy

I'll keep that in mind when I get to equipment.
Right now I'm working on Advantages, Disadvantages, Skills, Quirks, and Templates.

Joshua
joshualevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
flyingwombat

For racial templates, have you checked Jason (PK Kitty) Levine's MyGURPS website? Here is the URL: http://www.mygurps.com/

It may not have all of what you need, but it should help.

Hope to see you at Kublacon!
flyingwombat is offline   Reply With Quote