Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-09-2011, 02:28 AM   #11
the adventurer

Default Re: Advice for running Macross in GURPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Does it really matter if the shortest GSS combat turn is 20 seconds?
I suppose you could handwave it, but are you sure you want to make the time spent transforming not meaningful at all?
In Macross, it generally isn't (pilots do some crazy acrobatics switching from jet to Battroid in the midst of close combat battle for example). Though I suppose it should be.

EDIT: Though I suppose if the minimum time a combat round takes is 20 seconds, then I guess its a non-issue.

EDIT2: Though to be fair, when Mecha get up close and personal, it might be prudent to go into 1-second per combat round style of combat. As the 20-Second per combat round for SS, seems more to do with larger ships at range.

Last edited by the adventurer; 12-09-2011 at 02:34 AM.
the adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:44 AM   #12
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the adventurer View Post
In Macross, it generally isn't (pilots do some crazy acrobatics switching from jet to Battroid in the midst of close combat battle for example). Though I suppose it should be.

EDIT: Though I suppose if the minimum time a combat round takes is 20 seconds, then I guess its a non-issue.

EDIT2: Though to be fair, when Mecha get up close and personal, it might be prudent to go into 1-second per combat round style of combat. As the 20-Second per combat round for SS, seems more to do with larger ships at range.
20-second rounds seem better suited to narrative, freeform descriptions of what happens during a turn. But for ground combats you might indeed just want to pick 1sec turns. However, note that it will result in more detailed (use of cover and postures, to Aim or not to Aim etc.) and somewhat slower combats.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #13
Lord Carnifex

Quote:
Reconfigurable System states that it takes 20 seconds to transform from one system to another (in this case either from hull armor to Robot Arm; or Thruster to Robot Legs). That seems a much longer time interval then is demonstrated in the show. Is there an in-system way to speed it up (at increased cost I suppose), or should/could I just hand-wave it down to 5 seconds or less?

EDIT: Also, just to be clear, pairs of arms and legs take up two system slots for each pair correct?
I think it'd be in the spirit of the series* to allow a Technique derived from Meditation to cut/remove the conversion time. Call it "Mechamorphisis" perhaps. I'm only familiar with Robotech where a certain amount of emphasis is put on the man/mecha melding during combat. The Sterling family is supposed to be especially good at that.

* In the spirit of Robotech, especially the book series, anyway. I'm not sure it matches the original Superdimensional Fortress Macross as well...

"To an Irishman, a serious matter is a joke, and a joke is a serious matter."
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:13 AM   #14
the adventurer

I'm trying to come up with a new system to emulate Energy Conversion Armor (instead of just using Nano Composite like the example in SS4) that is standard on Valks.

Energy Conversion Armor is defined as such...

Quote:
An OverTechnology which redirects excess power generated by a vehicle engine into the specially designed armored hull of the vehicle, resulting in a significant increase in armor strength. Early variable fighters relied upon overtuned conventional engines producing enough power to increase armor strength to that comparable to a tank. Later variable fighters utilized similar energy converting armor, but featured far more powerful thermonuclear reaction engines. In 2059, the Vajra appeared utilizing a form of Energy Converting Armor so powerful it was nearly invulnerable to all but the heaviest of weapons. Although first mentioned as official fact in Macross Zero (2002), creator Shoji Kawamori publicly described the general technology of energy converting armor before Macross Zero and actually conceived it longer before.
My thought about is to make it a high-energy system with a base dDR when not powered, but an increased dDR when powered. Should I set the unpowered base at Nanocomposite's 5 dDR and powered have it go up to Diamondoid's 7 dDR? How much higher cost should this sort of system cost (not that really matters, because my PCs probably won't ever actually own one of these. Just have access to them).

Also, The Macross Mecha Manual has become an invaluable site for specing out these ships. Here are all the specs for the VF-1 all spelled out nice and neat for example. (also note the Transformation speeds)

EDIT:Also, how might I go about assigning hard points for things like the Gun Pod, and FAST Packs? Or is that beyond the scope of Spaceships?

Last edited by the adventurer; 12-10-2011 at 03:23 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:08 AM   #15
the adventurer

This is what I've come up with so far.

Quote:
VF-1S Valkyrie (GURPS SPACESHIPS STATS)

Front Hull

[1-2!] Major Batteries - BEAM (Turret mounted 10MJ Laser each)

[3] Tactical Array (comm/sensor 6)

[4-5!] Energy Converting Armor (10 dDR when not powered. 14 dDR when powered)

[6] Control Room (C6 Computer, comm/sensor 4, 1 control station)

Central Hull

[1-2!] Energy Converting Armor (10 dDR when not powered. 14 dDR when powered)

[3-4!] Major Batteries - Launcher (Fixed mounted 20cm Missiles. 7 count each)

[5-6] Reconfigurable System (Fuel Tanks to Robot Arms)

[core] Fusion Reactor (two Power Points)

Rear Hull

[1!] Energy Converting Armor (5 dDR when not powered. 7 dDR when powered)

[2-3!] Reconfigurable System (High-Thrust Fusion Torch Engine, 1G Each; to Robot Legs, Move 10)

[4] Defensive ECM

[5] Fuel Tank

[6] High-Thrust Fusion Torch Engine (1G Acceleration)

[core] Fusion Reactor (two Power Points)
My only question is, putting the Fuel Tanks in the arms... does that mean they can't be accessed while in arm mode? That makes some since, since you'll have far less thrust while in Gerwalk mode, but I'm just wondering how bad of an idea that is.

But now I'm really wondering about how the treat the Gun Pod. I don't want to integrate it into the fighter (since its detachable, and meant to be carried by Robot Arm), but it also can be fired from a mount while in Jet Fighter mode.

Last edited by the adventurer; 12-10-2011 at 03:14 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:44 AM   #16
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

External Clamp (Weapon Mount)?
Old 12-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #17
the adventurer

Quote:
External Clamp (Weapon Mount)?
It sounds like I might need to look into that rule for turning 1 System into 3 smaller systems. Which book might that be in?
Old 12-10-2011, 12:50 PM   #18
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
It sounds like I might need to look into that rule for turning 1 System into 3 smaller systems. Which book might that be in?
SS-7, Divergent and Paranormal Tech.
Though the option to turn an external clamp into a weapon mount is not official, AFAIK. Just an idea of a feature that makes the clamp only work with a limited subset of add-ons, but have a better interface with those add-ons.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #19
the adventurer

Quote:
SS-7, Divergent and Paranormal Tech.
Though the option to turn an external clamp into a weapon mount is not official, AFAIK. Just an idea of a feature that makes the clamp only work with a limited subset of add-ons, but have a better interface with those add-ons.
Sound like a new system might be in order to simulate hard points. Perhaps

External Mounts (provides SM in Hard Points for expansion equipment in the Hull in which its located. Expansion equipment + Ship Mass can not exceed SM+1 total mass)

Or something like that? Extra mass would affect your crafts thrust and maneuverability, but that is the point.

Again though, I am running out of slots regardless. The fixed 20 System total seems really odd to me. I suppose its there for scaling and balance purposes, but still.

Last edited by the adventurer; 12-10-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #20
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Sound like a new system might be in order to simulate hard points. Perhaps

External Mounts (provides SM in Hard Points for expansion equipment in the Hull in which its located. Expansion equipment + Ship Mass can not exceed SM+1 total mass)

Or something like that? Extra mass would affect your crafts thrust and maneuverability, but that is the point.

Again though, I am running out of slots regardless. The fixed 20 System total seems really odd to me. I suppose its there for scaling and balance purposes, but still.
No, the 20 slots are there because there is only 100% of mass in a ship, and a normal system takes roughly 5%. You can shuffle the ratios all you want (using smaller systems), but you can't exceed 100%.

That being said, I'm not sure why hardpoints must be separate. They could be modular (i.e. removable) Weapon Batteries.