Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #21
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: [Speculation] GURPS 4.5e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Remember, this is for a theoretical 4.5, not 5e, so no major system overhauls or philosophical changes, just bit modifications or fixes that can be done discretely.
Fixing Affliction, so that it is worth the expense to purchase more than one level. Perhaps simply by giving a -2 penalty to the resistance roll for each additional level of Affliction, rather than -1 as per RAW.

Splitting out Beneficial Affliction a sits own Advantage, with its own mechanics and structure.

Blessed (Heroic Feats) generalized into a self-buff Advantage.

Cannot Wear Armour as a Limitation is kinda dubious.

I'd like to see Distinctive Feature become worth slightly more points, and be less obsessed about a direct roll-affecting game-mechanical effect. Hero System works fine without its DF being all about plusses and minuses, for instance.

Talents re-done, so that they always deal with function-performing, and never represent inborn expertise at interacting with certain categories of objects, such as e.g. Green Thumb.

More talk about how Talent can be put to alternate uses, such as representing supernatural abilities or gifts, instead of an inborn function-performing gift, and also how such Talents can then have Limitations. The RAW is actually fine here. It's just that these possibilities need to be talked about in the core book.

DX and IQ raised to 25 CP/level. Right now DX or IQ costs the same as 5 plateau'ed skills. With a small cost increase, DX or IQ would cost slightly more than 6 plateau'ed skills.

Talk about GMs giving ad hoc modifiers (penalties or bonuses) to SCR rolls for mental disads, according to how strong or weak the stimulus or temptation is.

Oh yeah, Signature Gear fixed. It's stupidly broken as is, and numeous stomachable solutions have been proposed by a variety of people.

Two things I'd really like to see is to get Limited Use (uses per day) changed from a Limitation into a divisive cost modifier, because -40% for one use per day is just not enough at all, and increasing it to -60% or so has problems of its own. Also get Healing generalized so that there can be RAW-legal slow-acting versions of it, wher the healed HP arrives slowly at intervals of seconds, minutes or even tens of minutes.

Probably more to come on a later post.

From what I've read in here, the designers didn't have sufficient time to get everything right, and so 4E shipped with some of its subsystems crappily designed. The example I remember is Afflictions, but there may be others.

Last edited by Peter Knutsen; 07-03-2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: added a "then" to clarify. Changed an erroneous "less" to "more".
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #22
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Isn't that a little genre specific? Why not the special rules for Taunts and Backstabs too?

OTOH, I think the rules for BAD (and the similar ...With Spikes) as well as the A Little Help From My Friends and Complementary Skills rules probably ought to be core (or at least in a Skills Power-Up).
Oh yes, Complementary Skill Rolls not being in the core book is just droolingly stupid. Other systems do this, and it's an extremely obvious general-purpose mechanic to have.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #23
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULFGARD View Post
.22, small pipe, nail... Step on my home made mine! Enjoy walking with a hole in your foot. And now that you're down, it'll be easy to pick you off. Newspapers safe, Jenkins!
We called those "toe-poppers" in the Corps, except we used a 5.56, a pointy rock, and a piece of bark on top to make sure you depressed the round onto the rock instead of just poking yourself in the foot.

They were entirely theoretical, to the best of my knowledge.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #24
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samd6 View Post
Cut down on the amount of IW stuff.
Reprice certain advantages.
Include Illusion, Energy Reserve, and Vitality Reserve in the basic set.
Add some of the stuff from Skill Categories
Illuision is a complicated Advantage that takes up nearly a page, as far as I remember. That's a lot of page count. That said, it is relevant to a lot of settings, and is easier to work with than Control and Create.

What is Vitality Reserve? I can't remember that at all.

Of course Energy Reserve should be in in a 4.5 core. Sure.

What's the Skill Categories stuff you're talking about?
Old 07-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #25
cosmicfish

Two things:

TL's: We have 7 TL's (0-6) for past/historical/fantasy settings, 2 TL's (7-8)for the present (ish), and only 4 TL's for everything later. While I understand that the designers felt this was a good move, I have still yet to see the virtue in categorically reducing the entire range of science fiction to twice the variation seen in the 20th century alone!

Vehicles / Weapons rules: I am firmly of the belief that a system like GURPS needs consistent rules across the board, even for weapons and vehicles. In 4ed, examples and approximate rules came out before any detailed rules did, and this will probably make for a rough match when the detailed rules finally appear. Once 4ed Vehicles arrives, it would be good if all other vehicles and weapons were updated to match those rules.
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #26
samd6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Illuision is a complicated Advantage that takes up nearly a page, as far as I remember. That's a lot of page count. That said, it is relevant to a lot of settings, and is easier to work with than Control and Create.

Of course Energy Reserve should be in in a 4.5 core. Sure.

What's the Skill Categories stuff you're talking about?
Vitality Reserve was something Kromm came up with. Think of it like ER for HP.

Skill Categories is one of the free PDFs, it just lists skills in groups such as Arts, Criminal, Science, or Vehicle. It is kind of helpful for assigning skill points, but doesn't need to be included

I agree that Signature Gear is stupidly broken, but can't see any way to fix it such that it works for everything from "Trademark Hat" to "Giant Transforming Robot"

As far as magic goes, by all means rip out the section on spells, and put in one of the systems from Thaumatology.
samd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #27
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
It is something Kromm suggested, http://sjgames.com/gurps/faq/FAQ4-5.html#SS5.1.5
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #28
Bruno

It may be making its way into a slightly more formal context.

Just sayin.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #29
Trachmyr

I would like to see 4.5e be released along side 4e as an online only "live" product. The official rules would change an adapt with every Kromm Rulling, every clarification in new supplements, errata, or approved consensus (such as repricing Regrowth). I would love to see this product intergrated with Character Assistant, and be set up much like a Database Serch.

Looking for special combat rules? Well it found what you're looking for in MA: Gladiators, if you don't own it, it provides the link to e23.
Trachmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #30
Ego Archive

Some of the basic expansions from Social Engineering, such as "Searching for People", the expanded Influence (and influencing skills), and expanded reaction tables.

A rewrite of the Psionic section to make it somewhat more user friendly, and including some of the worked examples from Psionic Powers.

[DF]One Shot - Crevan Brokenhand's Last Rest

Towndale: A user generated fantasy town for any game system.
Ego Archive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4.5e, new skill, speculation