Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #21
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Expert Skill (Pneumatology) and Hidden Lore (Spirits)

Gurps covers what a skill or advantage does, not how it feels to the character. What you seem to be saying should be roleplayed not defined so much on the character sheet. If I'm understanding you, which I'm sure I'm not quite getting more than the gist.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #22
Lord Carnifex

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
Rather, what I was talking about is the attainment or the realization of an spiritual station —by its own nature, beyond time and space, and thus, beyond phenomena happening in the order of action (2)—, a goal unreachable by means of religion or philosophy, both regarded as profane (even if theology is and was regarded as pertaining to a different order than philosophy): moreover, there were many different, partial degrees before the actual attainment of such station —sometimes called "Enlightenment" as well—, which was reflected in the doctrines of "spiritual hierarchies" inside these contexts (there are known examples in Islamic tassawuf, in Masonry, with Lodges and Rites having for instance 33 degrees or "levels of spiritual achievement"), hierarchies that not always were reflected into the external society, not even in religious institutions (3). Most often than not, all this is and was simply secret, unavailable for outsiders. Thus, what GURPS skill could portray that spiritual knowledge-attainment? I can't find any . . . Part of it could be an advantage —however I see the "advantage treatment" as more applicable to the spiritual station, even if it's partial—, but since it covers many things proper of a skill —for instance, the theoretical part that is applicable for the own achievement, for teaching others and for many other situations— it should be a skill before all else.
Okay, I think I understand what you're getting at. What you're looking for is a distinction between mere religious or philospohical knowledge, and the wisdom that comes from enlightenment (or illumination, or gnosis, or whatever term is preferred). It's the difference between an academic understanding of the four noble truths, the eightfold path, and so on, and the enlightenment of the Buddha.

And I agree, such things are not covered by the GURPS skills Theology, Philosophy, or anything else. But, as Flyndaran points out, GURPS tends to focus on what a character can do, at least in terms of the traits on the character sheet. So then, the question becomes, what does attaining a higher spiritual state actually allow a character to do? Gain an intuitive understanding of how the universe behaves? Master their own body and mind? Cease the cycle of re-incarnation? Commune with a higher plane? Contemplate the divine?

Now, I don't mean to sound crass. I like to consider myself a student of enlightenment, in some sense. But I'm not there yet. And GURPS is inherently a secular game, played and designed by people who make no claims to spiritual gnosis (as much as we like to joke around about the divine nature of Kromm). So if someone says, "I'd like to play a Bodhisattva", all GURPS asks is "Okay, what can he do?" The spiritually ineffable is a bit beyond character points.

"To an Irishman, a serious matter is a joke, and a joke is a serious matter."
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:40 PM   #23
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnifex View Post
Okay, I think I understand what you're getting at. What you're looking for is a distinction between mere religious or philospohical knowledge, and the wisdom that comes from enlightenment (or illumination, or gnosis, or whatever term is preferred). It's the difference between an academic understanding of the four noble truths, the eightfold path, and so on, and the enlightenment of the Buddha.
Yes, something along such lines.

(I prefer to not focus on Buddhism because it's more controversial than other things.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
(. . .) If I'm understanding you, which I'm sure I'm not quite getting more than the gist.
In principle, that should be enough.

Quote:
And I agree, such things are not covered by the GURPS skills Theology, Philosophy, or anything else. But, as Flyndaran points out, GURPS tends to focus on what a character can do, at least in terms of the traits on the character sheet. So then, the question becomes, what does attaining a higher spiritual state actually allow a character to do?
In any case, when it's about enlightenment, illumination, gnosis . . . the skill names and descriptions of Theology, Religious Ritual, and Philosophy are the product of important confusions, not being suitable and enforcing misconceptions.

And that is my main point, in the context of a RPG system that cares about detail and well-made research —at least in comparison with many other role playing game systems.

Regarding the point raised by Flyndaran: since these spiritual achievements aren't automatically nor directly translated to magic nor to other sort of phenomena —excepting special cases—, what is possible to do with them is more tied to roleplaying and campaign-specificities than with crunchy mechanics and action scenarios: for instance, according to the Basic Set a successful Theology or Philosophy skill roll allows a player to know "which course of action 'feels' right" in a given situation, and according to that specific skill (revealing a moral point of view).

A successful roll vs. "non-theological nor philosophical" Taoism could reveal what is true in a given situation, or making the GM to offer a clue or key regarding some sort of supernatural enigmas, cosmic mysteries and such. A given degree of Taoist (or similar) achievement (sometimes it can be faked; but sometimes it's detectable) can trigger a better reaction from certain NPCs, human or gods, in the same way such degree can allow entrance and admission to certain societies —and the corresponding Rank, and even sometimes Status too, also applicable in the context of some minisocieties— and even granting the benefits of Social Regard (Venerated), for instance. In the same way, a given degree of spiritual achievement makes a character more resistant or even immune to many forms of intimidation, fright checks, stress, derangement and Cthuloids —if for some reason they appear in that campaign.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying that the game is broken, but that there are things needing a bit more polish: a skill representing the point of view of spiritual wisdom/achievement is missing.

(I also miss a section in the Basic Set pointing to the creation of new skills, (not just techniques) in the same way it encourages to build or modify new advantages and disadvantages.)

Part of this lack could be handled by means of creating a few new skills, or by means of expanding the meanings, acceptions and uses of existent ones (like some GURPS sourcebooks already do), but unfortunately the skill names Theology and Religious Ritual will remain unsuitable in most of these cases. Of course, an individual GM and game group can replace them, or change the names and modify their descriptions, but in any case it's an objective issue.

Quote:
Master their own body and mind? Cease the cycle of re-incarnation? Commune with a higher plane? Contemplate the divine?
(Part of this is answered above.) Depending on the campaign, an spiritual achievement could unlock these capabilities, if the campaign handles such subjects. Also, in many cases a high spiritual skill can provide defaults for skills (or even access) like certain Expert Skill and Hidden Lore specialitations, along with Thaumatology and Religious Ritual, for instance.

It's far of being useless, and in any case, an updated GURPS 4e Religion book should handle this.

Quote:
Now, I don't mean to sound crass. I like to consider myself a student of enlightenment, in some sense. But I'm not there yet. And GURPS is inherently a secular game, played and designed by people who make no claims to spiritual gnosis (as much as we like to joke around about the divine nature of Kromm). So if someone says, "I'd like to play a Bodhisattva", all GURPS asks is "Okay, what can he do?"
You aren't sounding crass to me; thanks for your concern however.

But what is the point in saying that GURPS is designed by people that makes no claims to spiritual knowledge? To me, that is like saying that magic, or psis, or superpowers, should be also discarded in GURPS because the authors are people that makes no claims about magical abilities or superpowers. (And regarding the players, honestly there is a variety of them, with different attitudes.)

If someone wants to play a Bodhisattva, currently GURPS answers "well, pick Theology (Buddhism) skill at a high level" —between another things like possibly Disciplines of Faith, etc—, which isn't right, well beyond of being just an excessive simplification.

Quote:
The spiritually ineffable is a bit beyond character points.
Well, of course: beyond of character points in many aspects, but not by definition beyond a roleplaying system, and it also depends on the particular people involved.

What I mean is to remove unnecessary obstacles —mainly, the lack of a skill for spiritual knowledge and the problem caused by some skill names and descriptions— for understanding these perspectives (and handling part of them in game sessions) even just a little bit, enabling thus better roleplaying when a campaign features such themes, or when a campaign has the potential of featuring them —often spoiled due to the lack of a suitable perspective and rules support for it.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #24
Refplace

Quote:
Yes, something along such lines.

(I prefer to not focus on Buddhism because it's more controversial than other things.)
Right there I think you stated the problem in trying to get what you want.
You consider Buddhism controversial but I do not. Pick any religion or philosophy and you will have some who find it wrong, others who do not and some kind of in between or who just do not care.

Quote:
In any case, when it's about enlightenment, illumination, gnosis . . . the skill names and descriptions of Theology, Religious Ritual, and Philosophy are the product of important confusions, not being suitable and enforcing misconceptions.

And that is my main point, in the context of a RPG system that cares about detail and well-made research —at least in comparison with many other role playing game systems.

Part of this lack could be handled by means of creating a few new skills, or by means of expanding the meanings, acceptions and uses of existent ones (like some GURPS sourcebooks already do), but unfortunately the skill names Theology and Religious Ritual will remain unsuitable in most of these cases. Of course, an individual GM and game group can replace them, or change the names and modify their descriptions, but in any case it's an objective issue.
Why are the skill names wrong? Or a big deal?
If it is a Philosophy or a Religion then GURPS just uses the name Religion (Roman Catholic) or Philosophy (Taoism) as a category tool.
The name is used becasue these skills fit together and serve the same function from a different point of view. But objectively there the same thing.
Different religions will typically have the same secular effect and the metaphysical one typically is viewed as only having an effect for 1 of them and all others are usually branded as falsehoods.

I do not want to see GURPS promote one religion over another.
Now a specific setting, that might be different. So in GURPS China Taoism and Buddhism are given more word count and explanation while GURPS Crusades would focus on Christianity and Muslim.

But even there your likely to see metaphysical qualities as options not hard and fast rules. This better represents different styles for the same setting and also lets the GM have an easier time choosing the level of effect they will have, if any.

Now if a skill can grant powers that is bought as powers or other advantages.
Social regards, Oracle, Illuminated, Unfazeable, etc.
Note though that in many cases high skill is not the same as true understanding. Someone could be an expert in a religion but not actually believe in it or follow the practices and so would likely not gain much benefit.

You can also have people who are inspired or blessed who know little but seem to have wisdom or powers others might lack.

A Shaman who can heal by talking to the spirits or battling disease spirits or curses could have Esoteric Medicine, Healing, spells or something else.

All of these things are really too much for Basic and would be pushing it in a remake of GURPS Religion.
Since most settings only have a few religions though they can be expanded on in those books.
However part of what you seem to be asking for is a guide on how to roleplay someone of that faith. That is far too much for a supplement to go into any but the most basic and cursory details. For that read that religions religious works or consult a priest.
Experts in these study them for a lifetime and that is far more work and reading then anyone wants for an RPG, unless its their religion. So it would not sell well and it would be a disservice to those religions compared to a simple bibliography referencing key works.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:59 AM   #25
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
You consider Buddhism controversial but I do not. Pick any religion or philosophy and you will have some who find it wrong, others who do not and some kind of in between or who just do not care.
All spiritual traditions (not the same thing than religions), religions and philosophies have been discussed by offering different opinions. I don't get why do you state the obvious.

What I mean is that is easier to explain it with another examples. Buddhism was controversial since its origins, initially being a heretical movement derived from Hinduism. And once again it's controversial due the multiple New Agish and humanistic, philosophical and psychological interpretations fashionable today, that portray Buddhism in a falsified way. It's a complex subject, and not really the point of my posts here, but in any case all things I said here are applicable to Buddhism as well —and that is what it matters.

Quote:
Why are the skill names wrong? Or a big deal?
If it is a Philosophy or a Religion then GURPS just uses the name Religion (Roman Catholic) or Philosophy (Taoism) as a category tool.
. . . Have you read my earlier posts here? Please do if you are going to reply to what I am saying.

Theology is ok for Roman Catholic because that is a religion, but Theology is not suitable for Buddhism, which is before all else a metaphysical doctrine (but not in the Aristotelian sense); Theology revolves around the "God" notion, which Buddhism usually lacks. Similarly, Philosophy isn't suitable for Taoism, nor Buddhism, because these things aren't philosophies despite the dialectical expression they sometimes use. From the point of view of all the spiritual paths I've mentioned, all philosophies are profane and regarded as mental constructions that is necessary to destroy (in the own mind): nor Theology nor Philosophy lead to any sort of spiritual achievement.

Quote:
The name is used becasue these skills fit together and serve the same function from a different point of view. But objectively there the same thing.
No, they aren't the same thing. They are very different things indeed. The name of the skills Theology or Philosophy doesn't fit with spiritual paths.

Saying that these things are the same thing is just a prejudice and an extreme oversimplification.

Quote:
Different religions will typically have the same secular effect and the metaphysical one typically is viewed as only having an effect for 1 of them and all others are usually branded as falsehoods.
In most cases religions are in conflict with other religions, right. But I don't see it as relevant here . . .

Also, conversely to religions, spiritual paths are more likely to discard conflicts because they are more centered in the goal than in religious and cultural particularities.

Quote:
I do not want to see GURPS promote one religion over another.
Same here. Maybe something made you to believe that I want to promote one religion over another?

And again, I wasn't speaking about religions.

Quote:
But even there your likely to see metaphysical qualities as options not hard and fast rules. This better represents different styles for the same setting and also lets the GM have an easier time choosing the level of effect they will have, if any.
I don't see a problem with options, if they are well thought. As I said, the issue that I see is the lack of an skill —subjected to specializations and to defaults for other similar specializations— for taking into account the spiritual dimension that I mentioned, which is useful for modeling characters like total or partially realized Buddhists, Taoists, Islamic Sufis, Jewish Kabbalists, Hermetic sages, Ancient Freemasons, etc . . .

Quote:
Now if a skill can grant powers that is bought as powers or other advantages.
Social regards, Oracle, Illuminated, Unfazeable, etc.
Note though that in many cases high skill is not the same as true understanding.
I know that high skill is not the same that true understanding. That is a reason for why I suggested qualitative differences in skills if they are learnt in academic mode, or in their proper context and along their required practices and conditions.

Regarding a skill able to unlock or granting powers, I agree with that such things must be bought as other advantages. The advantages you are mentioning here (Oracle, Illuminated, Unfazeable), can be good too.

Quote:
Someone could be an expert in a religion but not actually believe in it or follow the practices and so would likely not gain much benefit.
Well, if someone knows about a "religion" (I'm speaking about spiritual paths here) but he doesn't pertain to it, nor follow nor practices it, he never can be an expert about it. At most, he can be a scholar with partial notions about the subject, but nothing more. Scholarship is very little, or nothing, regarding spiritual achievements; both things have very little to do one with the other.

Quote:
You can also have people who are inspired or blessed who know little but seem to have wisdom or powers others might lack.
Yes, I know cases like these. The key here is "they seem to have" wisdom, and in some cases that can be true, because the skill can be obtained in supernatural ways, but that is not the norm. In any case, the skill (theoretical and applied) is always necessary: a defective skill leads to incomplete spiritual realizations or even much worse things.

A non taught virtuous hermit happy with living as a virtuous hermit, maybe regarded by people near him as a wise person: this isn't an example of what I am pointing here. There were lots of virtuous hermits without any degree of spiritual achievement, but high moral qualities instead: it's not enough with an aspiration to religious life to transcend the religious point of view and the necessity of faith.

Quote:
A Shaman who can heal by talking to the spirits or battling disease spirits or curses could have Esoteric Medicine, Healing, spells or something else.
Now you are talking of Shamans, that is not related to what I am talking about. Yes, what you are saying is related to magic, powers, etc, but not to what I am talking about.

Quote:
All of these things are really too much for Basic and would be pushing it in a remake of GURPS Religion.
Covering all the things that you are mentioning here (the skill for spiritual paths along with related advantages, religions, shamanism . . .), in the Basic Set would be too much, I agree. But including a skill (or two) in the Basic Set for what is spiritual but not religious nor philosophical nor psychological would be suitable.

Quote:
However part of what you seem to be asking for is a guide on how to roleplay someone of that faith.
What makes you to think that? I've been pretty clear on my points.

Quote:
(. . .) Experts in these study them for a lifetime and that is far more work and reading then anyone wants for an RPG, unless its their religion.
I know that, after all it's my work. It's enough, however, with basic —but right— notions for a roleplaying game. The rest is covered by the setting information available in a sourcebook or by means of other resources.

Wolfgang Smith

My G+

Last edited by demonsbane; 01-02-2012 at 06:26 AM. Reason: nuance
Old 01-02-2012, 04:40 AM   #26
Refplace

Quote:

No, they aren't the same thing. They are very different things indeed. The name of the skills Theology or Philosophy doesn't fit with spiritual paths.

Saying that these things are the same thing is just a prejudice and an extreme oversimplification.
Ok so what word would you use for this new skill?
I think the breakdown into Philosophy or Religion is a pretty good one for the understanding. Then add Ritual skill for practices, like saying Mass or preforming a ceremony. History, an Expert skill, Anthropology, etc all could round things out under the existing system.

But for the core body of teaching, most people I know of and books break it down to either of the two. Some people may not agree on which is which based on their own bias but the below definition from a dictionary seem to handle it for me.

Theology 1) The field of study and analysis that treats of God and of God's attributes and relations to the universe; study of divine things or religious truth; divinity.
Philosophy 1) The rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct.

I bolded what I feel are the key distinctions between the two.
Following a Spiritual path could be either. Most older disciplines would be considered religious, if not by themselves at least by their culture and peers.
New age people often tend to try and muddy the water by refusing a label and saying they are beyond that. It appears that is what your saying here. However the skill has to have a name and it needs to be succinct.
If you really think that neither of the two definitions apply to a "Spiritual Path" then what is your suggestion? I have noted your saying a lot about what is not but since your not accepting others views on the label or wording please offer your own.

Then at least we an debate if it is really different or not and if so is it enough to merit inclusion.

Quote:
Same here. Maybe something made you to believe that I want to promote one religion over another?
No. I was pointing out that publishing what it sounds like you want (extensive and complicated detail) would be.

Quote:

I don't see a problem with options, if they are well thought. As I said, the issue that I see is the lack of an skill —subjected to specializations and to defaults for other similar specializations— for taking into account the spiritual dimension that I mentioned, which is useful for modeling characters like total or partially realized Buddhists, Taoists, Islamic Sufis, Jewish Kabbalists, Hermetic sages, Ancient Freemasons, etc . . .
What would this skill do? How could it work well with all the different religions and philosophies out there?
A Gnostic might be able to buy Racial Memory as tapping the universal consciousness.
An Ascetic might have Strong will to resist worldly temptations.
Many advantages could be possible for different faiths but also a large part would have no secular effect and would be just roleplaying or part of a narrative.
But what would be the difference or value in this new skill?
To me Religion is about belief and faith and Philosophy is about understanding.

Not everyone will agree, my Catholic priests would abhor that distinction even while promoting the value of faith and saying you just need to believe.
On the other side my great grandfather (Cherokee) would promote more understanding but really still it was a lot of Faith.
The local Baptists claim they are not a religion, yet I do not see how that is true.
Again I will go by the Dictionary definition rather then any practioner.

Quote:

Now you are talking of Shamans, that is not related to what I am talking about. Yes, what you are saying is related to magic, powers, etc, but not to what I am talking about.
Shamans are practioners of a religion or spiritual path, depending on whom you talk to and your source.
I think that is what your talking about.

Quote:

What makes you to think that? I've been pretty clear on my points.
Actually I dont know that you have. See the other people replying and your own words stating you will attempt to clarify.
The trouble is that a lot of what your saying comes across as either double speak or a strong bias towards an unnamed spiritual path.

I think you can be religious and spiritual but i also think you can be spiritual and not religious. Gnostic is the classic example but I do not see how that does not count a a philosophy. And most modern people would call that a primitive religion or cult. Again that goes back to my earlier statement that a lot of this is subjective as it depends on who is looking at it and their bias and background.
Again maybe when you tell us the word your looking for or propose a new skill name your point will be more clear.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:57 AM   #27
demonsbane

Quote:
Ok so what word would you use for this new skill? (. . .) If you really think that neither of the two definitions apply to a "Spiritual Path" then what is your suggestion? I have noted your saying a lot about what is not but since your not accepting others views on the label or wording please offer your own. (. . .) What would this skill do? (. . .) an unnamed spiritual path. (. . .) Again maybe when you tell us the word your looking for or propose a new skill name your point will be more clear.
Please, read the posts before replying to them, unless you want a futile mess. I already proposed the word for the skill:

Quote:
it could require the addition of new skills to the Basic Set, likely something along the lines of "Esotericism (IQ/Very Hard)"

Wolfgang Smith

My G+
Old 01-02-2012, 05:09 AM   #28
Refplace

Quote:
Please, read the posts before replying to them, unless you want a futile mess. I already proposed the word for the skill:
I did read your posts. Missed that proposed name among your wall of text.
Can you sum up how you think that skill works? a lot of your meaning is buried among your replies and complaints.
By the way I dont really like the name as its not very evocative of anything other then New Age thinking.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #29
Lord Carnifex

Quote:
A successful roll vs. "non-theological nor philosophical" Taoism could reveal what is true in a given situation, or making the GM to offer a clue or key regarding some sort of supernatural enigmas, cosmic mysteries and such.
If it were my game, I'd slot this into whatever magic/powers system I was using. But that's just me.
Quote:
A given degree of Taoist (or similar) achievement (sometimes it can be faked; but sometimes it's detectable) can trigger a better reaction from certain NPCs, human or gods, in the same way such degree can allow entrance and admission to certain societies —and the corresponding Rank, and even sometimes Status too, also applicable in the context of some minisocieties— and even granting the benefits of Social Regard (Venerated),
Honestly, if it were my game, I'd use Philosophy for this. A good roll can convince people that you know what you're talking about. For example, I'd assert that Crowley critically succeeded at Philosophy (Martinism), demonstrating insight into the doctrine and beliefs, and so was made Outer Head of the OTO, despite not rising through the ranks.
Quote:
for instance. In the same way, a given degree of spiritual achievement makes a character more resistant or even immune to many forms of intimidation, fright checks, stress, derangement and Cthuloids —if for some reason they appear in that campaign.
I'd make this a separate advantage/power/spell/whatnot. Unfazable as a place to start.

Quote:
Keep in mind that I'm not saying that the game is broken, but that there are things needing a bit more polish: a skill representing the point of view of spiritual wisdom/achievement is missing.
I didn't mention this before, but sure. I'd call it Esoteric Doctrine, IQ/VH. If, for a given gameworld, you feel there should be some Unusual Background or other advantage is necessary before purchasing this skill in a way that's analogous to Trained By a Master, then go for it.

As has often been said, there are no GURPS police. If you want to play it that way, then go ahead. As you say, it won't break the system. Probably the way I'd go about it is to design advantages and powers that use this new skill much like a Power Talent or similar.

Quote:
But what is the point in saying that GURPS is designed by people that makes no claims to spiritual knowledge? To me, that is like saying that magic, or psis, or superpowers, should be also discarded in GURPS because the authors are people that makes no claims about magical abilities or superpowers.
Well, my point was more that if, say, spiritual elevation allows one to levitate, or read minds, or predict the future, then the GURPS rules as written give a number of game mechanics on how those things will function and interact with the rest of the rules. Much in the same way that rules have been designed to allow mages to cast fireballs or supers to fly, without the designers having any practical knowledge in casting fireballs or flying themselves. If a GURPS character can predict the future through harmony with the Tao, then all GURPS cares about is predicting the future, not the esoteric and innermost nature of the Tao. Because GURPS is focused on what a character can do more than how they do it, Kromm can write rules from Montreal rather than a monastery in China somewhere.

"To an Irishman, a serious matter is a joke, and a joke is a serious matter."

Last edited by Lord Carnifex; 01-02-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:01 AM   #30
demonsbane

Quote:
If it were my game, I'd slot this into whatever magic/powers system I was using. But that's just me.
Sure, but keep in mind that in this point we are speaking about effects, that are phenomenal, and as you already know, GURPS can build and handle tons of similar effects coming from different sources —like the different power sources ("Advantage Origins" in the Basic Set, p.33; GURPS Powers, p.7). I think that is important and useful —both in fluff and crunch ways— to justify why a character have X traits or abilities.

Quote:
Honestly, if it were my game, I'd use Philosophy for this. A good roll can convince people that you know what you're talking about. For example, I'd assert that Crowley critically succeeded at Philosophy (Martinism), demonstrating insight into the doctrine and beliefs, and so was made Outer Head of the OTO
Me too. I agree with this, since it's possible to make cons.

Quote:
I didn't mention this before, but sure. I'd call it Esoteric Doctrine, IQ/VH.
Esotericism or Esoteric Doctrine (IQ/VH) would be right.

Esotericism, or something along such lines (like Esoteric Doctrine), is the right term inside western terminology since classical times. There is no need of making another neologism for this when there is a suitable term, independently of its (ab)use by ufologists and a plethora of disparate things —there is no term that hasn't been used and misused earlier.

GURPS Cabal —despite being a purely fictional secret organization focused into conspiracies and supernatural phenomena— suitably mentions this term in its Glossary (p.125):

Quote:
Exoteric: Openly available to outsiders; the opposite of "esoteric."
According to this, we could have things like these portrayed in a suitable way:
  • Esotericism (Pythagoreanism)
  • Esotericism (Ancient Freemasonry)

or

• Esoteric Doctrine (Pythagoreanism)
  • Esoteric Doctrine (Ancient Freemasonry)

along with

• Esoteric Doctrine (Buddhism)
  • Esoteric Doctrine (Jewish Kabbalah)
  • Esoteric Doctrine (Islamic tassawuf)
  • Theology (Roman Catholic)
  • Theology (Islam)
  • Philosophy (Stoicism)
  • Philosophy (Aristotelian)
  • Philosophy (Marxism)

etc.

Quote:
If, for a given gameworld, you feel there should be some Unusual Background or other advantage is necessary before purchasing this skill in a way that's analogous to Trained By a Master, then go for it.
That is one of the ways I do this, so I completely agree with the suggestion of Unusual Background —and your idea of a Trained By a Master analogue is great. Other way is to have access to the skill after a ritual of Power Investiture, or Blessed, along with a Pact.

Quote:
As has often been said, there are no GURPS police. If you want to play it that way, then go ahead. As you say, it won't break the system.
Sure, there is no GURPS police, but there are real, practical advantages when a rule or detail is "official", like support and continuity. And this subject is objective, like the famous GURPS "armor weights" addressed in Low-Tech. Moreover, if the rule system officially distinguishes between skills like —for putting a small example between many others— Biology (Basic Set, p.180) and Chemistry (Basic Set, p.183), for the shake of coherence it should also officially distinguish between Theology (or Philosophy) and Esotericism / Esoteric Doctrine, since the differences here are even greater than the ones existing between Biology and Chemistry.

Quote:
Probably the way I'd go about it is to design advantages and powers that use this new skill much like a Power Talent or similar.
That would be a way, indeed. It can be used for Skill-Based Limits in the way proposed by GURPS Thaumatology (p.40), too. And, all things considered, the Esotericism or Esoteric Doctrine skill is useful even if there are no supernatural powers involved in a campaign.

Wolfgang Smith

My G+

Tags
new skill, religion