Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-04-2016, 08:18 AM   #11
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Quick Question about Holdout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
You could also postulate "monowire" garrotes that actually slice heads off rather than strangle, but that's really a different weapon.
Dorthy-wire!

Yes, its been used in the comic multiple times. Stupid silly weapon. And, no, it not technically monofillament, but its close enough.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:32 AM   #12
Lord Azagthoth

If you are unskilled, you probably have to put force on the garrote all the time when choking or strangling someone. A skilled practitioner knows how to twist the cable so he can lessen his force but the garrote doesn't lose its power, or even free one hand.

This way you don't have the full force for a long time on just 2 fingers.

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:23 PM   #13
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
You have to hang on to that garotte for ~30 seconds while you establish a blood choke with a struggling victim (if you can). If you can't then you could have two or three minutes of strangling someone who's most definitely wriggling around, longer if you want to kill them entirely with the garotte rather than finish them off some other way once they've passed out.
Strangling for 30 seconds or more? An average character can hold their breath in combat for HTx1 seconds, and that's without a garrote complicating things. Where are you getting this math..?

Edit: Furthermore, attempting to escape a normal choke hold does 1 FP / second, meaning typically around HTx1 seconds before they're at 0 FP. So now I'm REALLY confused on where you got your 30 seconds from. o-O

Last edited by Tallor; 11-05-2016 at 06:30 PM. Reason: More detail
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:32 PM   #14
mlangsdorf

Even after someone is cut off from air, they only lose 1 FP per second and normally don't risk going unconscious until they're at 0 FP remaining. Assuming an HT 10 victim, they've got a 25% chance of being awake after 23 seconds. An HT 12 victim is more likely than not going to be still awake after 26 seconds. 30 seconds is a slight overstatement, but it's not absurd.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:36 PM   #15
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
Even after someone is cut off from air, they only lose 1 FP per second and normally don't risk going unconscious until they're at 0 FP remaining. Assuming an HT 10 victim, they've got a 25% chance of being awake after 23 seconds. An HT 12 victim is more likely than not going to be still awake after 26 seconds. 30 seconds is a slight overstatement, but it's not absurd.
Note the note I noted about choke holds, though!
Old 11-05-2016, 06:41 PM   #16
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
Strangling for 30 seconds or more? An average character can hold their breath in combat for HTx1 seconds, and that's without a garrote complicating things. Where are you getting this math..?

Edit: Furthermore, attempting to escape a normal choke hold does 1 FP / second, meaning typically around HTx1 seconds before they're at 0 FP. So now I'm REALLY confused on where you got your 30 seconds from. o-O
Don't confuse suffocation with blood flow cessation. People, regardless of breath holding ability, can only remain conscious for 15 seconds when completely lacking oxygen filled blood.
But it takes a LOT of force to stop blood from getting to the brain. It's much easier to stop it coming out, hence the red face and bloodshot eyes. And it's even easier than that to simply stop airflow.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:17 PM   #17
acrosome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
A garrote has to be long enough to reach around the victim's neck plus a bit, and the handles have to be long enough to fit into a human hand.
A garrote needn't have handles. It could have a loop spliced into each end of the cord, which you grasp like a wrist loop. It'd be pretty damned easy to hide that one, plus even if found it would look very non-threatening. There's lots of cord floating around...
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:40 PM   #18
DanHoward

Yep. The best way to hide a garrote is not to hide it at all, but to make it look like something innocuous.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:25 PM   #19
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
Yep. The best way to hide a garrote is not to hide it at all, but to make it look like something innocuous.
Like a necklace!

...Wait...
Old 11-08-2016, 04:11 PM   #20
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
Like a necklace!

...Wait...
Like keeping a bucket of water nearby to douse invading witches with... when you yourself are a witch. What could possible go wrong?

Tags
garrote, holdout