Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-20-2018, 06:47 AM   #1
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Default Drinking and DR

Let's say there's this toxic substance that damages whoever touches or drinks it. The way I read the Blood Agent and Contact Agent limitations is that if you have even one level of Damage Resistance, unless you have the Tough Skin limitation on DR, you are unaffected by such toxins.

But what if you drink it? The way I read DR, it seems as if it's only on the outside. Do I need the Force Field or Cosmic enhancement to deal with that?
Old 04-20-2018, 06:54 AM   #2
GodBeastX

Default Re: Drinking and DR

Drinking it would bypass DR. This would probably be used with Blood Agent as suggested by the Powers book for "Drugs".

Keep in mind DR only protects where the DR protects. You are removing DR when you drink and take off a helmet. You are removing DR when you are submersed without sealed DR. Etc. It would mean you can't just splash it in the face of a person with a helmet though.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:24 AM   #3
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
Drinking it would bypass DR. This would probably be used with Blood Agent as suggested by the Powers book for "Drugs".
And how do I enhance the DR advantage so that it protects in this situation?
Old 04-20-2018, 07:35 AM   #4
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
And how do I enhance the DR advantage so that it protects in this situation?
Probably by buying "internal" DR at 1/5 cost. (power-ups 8: limitations page 9)
Old 04-20-2018, 07:41 AM   #5
Gollum

Cosmic enhancement, Defense and countermeasure (+50%), sounds a good way to do it, as you noted it (Basic Set, page 103). Of course, there are surely other ways of doing it*. But it is the simplest one in my humble opinion.

_____

* Edit : Weby's one, just above for instance. He posted his answer while I was writing mine.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:34 PM   #6
Anaraxes

To resist harmful effects of ingested substances, it's more likely that you want Resistant, up to Immunity to Metabolic Hazards, or perhaps one or more of the Injury Tolerance forms like No Blood (ignores blood-borne toxins).

Yes, sometimes the mechanical effects of poisons and so are are expressed in terms of injury rather than Conditions. But that doesn't really make them direct attacks.

If you do insist on suffering some sort of internally-originating attack from swallowing grenades or whatever, then you want DR (Internal).
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:38 PM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
To resist harmful effects of ingested substances, it's more likely that you want Resistant, up to Immunity to Metabolic Hazards, or perhaps one or more of the Injury Tolerance forms like No Blood (ignores blood-borne toxins).
Immunity will only work for toxic or fatigue damage. Being able to, say, drink acid, or molten lead, or whatever, will require DR.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:47 PM   #8
Ulzgoroth

I would note that I would put on an extremely dubious face if somebody proposed internal, non-Tough Skin DR on their digestive system. I'm not the GM for this concept, but if you're not you probably want to check with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Immunity will only work for toxic or fatigue damage. Being able to, say, drink acid, or molten lead, or whatever, will require DR.
Those wouldn't be Blood Agent or Contact Agent, though. They just do damage.

Whether Immunity works against, say, 'fire poison' that does burn damage but is nonetheless poison-like in action would be a point for GM consideration, but a yes seems entirely plausible.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:16 PM   #9
Harald387

DR is probably the wrong way to go for protecting against ingested or injected toxins. For those you want something like resistant/immune to poisons or metabolic hazards, and/or injury tolerance (unliving, no blood).
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:42 PM   #10
tanksoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
A red dragon isn’t immune to heartburn from its own breath weapon because of internal DR.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote