Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #11
combatmedic
Banned

Default Re: The Crusades; Light Armor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend View Post
The area I'm in is near Kerak, but the temperatures 'this day x years ago' is usually 75 low at night and 110 during the day. I've gotta manage my own water and it's definitely a commodity being strictly tracked when I'm between fortresses. How cold and dark does it usually get over there? Is it like this all the time or am I in a heat wave.
Sounds like summer. Other times of year will be more comfortable.

I have worked in 110 degrees in armor and carrying gear. It's definitely uncomfortable, but a man who is used to the heat and the weight can manage. Again, drink plenty of water and get in the shade whenever you are able. Rest frequently. Don't forget to eat.
Get a mule or a camel to carry extra water.

A light-colored surcoat might help.

Were I a crusader, I'd get a cloth scarf /head covering (keffiyeh/shemagh) like the locals wear. That aint just decoration.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #12
combatmedic
Banned

Another question-

How long has this PC been in the Levant/the Holy Land? Days? Weeks? Longer? *

Is he acclimatized?

*He could be a native. I don't know what the year is, but of course if it is later then even a 'Frank' could be born in the region.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #13
Blood Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
Another question-

How long has this PC been in the Levant/the Holy Land? Days? Weeks? Longer? *

Is he acclimatized?

*He could be a native. I don't know what the year is, but of course if it is later then even a 'Frank' could be born in the region.
Canonically as an inside joke; a day. I keep using the same character for a bunch of one-offs but the crusades one has potential to be longer. Before then I'd decided my character was a world hopping partial amnesiac with delusions that he's a world hopper. Playing it straight though, I'm an average soldier with above average wealth and marginally above average strength. Haven't acclimatized at all. Early second crusade, 13th century, I'm fairly English.

Technically I woke from a fever, I think I might have been 'here' a week.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno

Last edited by Blood Legend; 10-17-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #14
gilbertocarlos

Sleep by day, walk by night, when you sleep, sleep inside, or at least with some sun protection.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #15
DanHoward

A full-length scale sariam is heavier and more stifling than any plate armour that the Europeans wore. I've personally worn most heavy types of armour in the middle of an Australian summer with no more trouble than wearing winter clothing. The only real problem you will have is with enclosed helmets - and with these it doesn't matter what the weather is llike.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #16
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Default Aids to keeping, well, less hot

The long white surcoat wasn't just for show -- it kept a lot of radiant heat off the armor.

Also, as Mr. Howard noted, a helm or helmet does ramp up the personal heat index. IIRC most Western warriors wore a broad-brimmed hat, most Muslims a large turban or burnoose, to keep the sun off the heat.

Doing either should give you some kind of fatigue benefit over straight armor/helmet.
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #17
gruundehn

Historically the Crusaders marched in armor. The foot soldiers wore quilted or similar armor. There are accounts of crusader foot soldiers marching along with so many arrows sticking out of them that they looked like porcupines. Mail backed by quilted is very good at protecting one.
In the desert, even the high desert (like Tucson) you do not stay out in the sun all day, you take breaks and drink water or other liquid, preferably in the shade, The lower the humidity, the greater the temperatue differential between sun and shade which helps.
Also in the desert seasons other than summer are quite different than you might expect. Winters, and especiall winter nights, can get extremely cold. When I was on active duty here in Tucson I ofter wore my winter gear at night.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #18
starslayer

Another point about travelling at night- in most desert there are no trees to obscure the night sky- it can actually be quite bright at night from just the stars.

Mechanically:
0- If your worried about ambushes, keep your armour on, but not the helmet.
1- If you need to travel during the day, you go until you are uncomfortable with how much fatigue you have lost, then you stop, rest, drink, and recover your FP, till you can travel again.
2- Travel a lot at sunset to last light, and first light to full sun where heat will be minimal and light levels will still be good.
3- Even travelling at twilight will full starlight (-7) and night vision 2 (-5) you should be able to make good observation rolls (at -5), your enemy will get closer to you before you can see them, but they will have the same problem, consider purchasing a technique for 'night scouting' to get rid of the -5 penalty for looking for threats at night.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #19
combatmedic
Banned

Get a hunting dog. He can sniff out Saracens in the dark.

Last edited by combatmedic; 10-18-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:28 PM   #20
Polydamas

Aside from riding and not always wearing their armour, historical warriors had servants to do things like carry their kit and water, tend to their horses, scout for approaching enemies, and so on. Warriors who spent a lot of time in enemy territory expecting a fight at any moment often didn't have much armour. But yes, plenty of warriors have worn full suits of armour in Southwest Asian summer weather, and not many died of it.

The fighting season in Southwest Asia often avoided the height of summer heat as that in northern Europe avoided the winter cold and mud. When they did happen, summer marches were often very short and rest days were frequent.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor, low-tech