Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 12-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #3321
ladyarcana55

Default Re: In Nomine: the Pacific War (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
"For advice, sure. But they've been made, as have....Mitch, I think they said, and you." He addresses Corat in that 'you'. "I, on the other hand, am an unknown to them at this point, and a damned good spy."

Corat rolls his eyes, making no attempt to hide it. "And pointless in the Marches. You couldn't dream your way out of a soap bubble."

Ryuki is offended to the point of speechless, but he's also not denying it at all.

"If you go in, you'll need a guide. Kane, or Sunae, or Glen, or all three. The rest of us could help but only if this chucklehead doesn't run into any ethereals who were at that party."
"And what do they say of me? Since I was with you guys I imagine I've been outted too."
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:41 AM   #3322
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarcana55 View Post
"And what do they say of me? Since I was with you guys I imagine I've been outted too."
"They know you," he says casually, "say hello. But Misrule doesn't know you, and if that's truly where this guy is headed you should be incognito enough."
Old 12-09-2014, 03:42 AM   #3323
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
An odd detail for someone like him to miss--surely he noticed that a demon was sleeping, rather than pocketing his vessel to go to the Nightmare realm.

"Why not just question him here and now?" Corat points to the sleeping demon.

"There are a lot of things I'd ask him. Why is he here? Why this castle on this date? Who is he working for? Who does he think he's working for, and who are they working for, and why this guy? Who does he plan to report to, and who is he hiding from if anyone, and who would he hide that report from? And the best way to--"

Mo-mo speaks up a little. "That's too many questions!"

Ryuki's irritated with himself for ignoring the demon's hearing. "Shut up, I wasn't asking you." And then attempting to finish his thought, "--is to follow him."

((Ryuki's been offstage for a little while, either with NPCs, Kane, or both, so until I resolve that I'm leaving the details a little vague. No problem asking him where he's been but I'll be working around that open question.))
Quote:
"They know you," he says casually, "say hello. But Misrule doesn't know you, and if that's truly where this guy is headed you should be incognito enough."
Ryuki buddy-punches Corat on the arm, symbolically reattaching himself to angels and getting his head back in the game. If we can't pursue more intel, he thinks, let's analyze what we have. He makes no attempt to hide the wheels turning in his head.

He beckons the party out of Mo-mo's earshot. "The hound can hold him for a couple minutes I'm sure." His hand on his face, reminding himself to speak after thinking. "His vessel is here, and he's going to see Misrule. Assuming that burning down the castle was his mission, he failed and he's hoping to salvage that before he has to face Nightmares. That's fair.

"But something's off. If I wanted to spread nightmares, cleave the spirits from Heaven, maybe start World War Three, I would not send three goofy minions to Kumamoto. You said it, Sunae, it's the wrong castle on the wrong date. And who'd we find this out from? A gadfly--okay, one smart enough to find Michael and Baal having beers, but one dumb enough to get manipulated into a Malakite's truck. Us, here, now...it's too easy.

"If I were Nightmares, and if for some reason I wanted to start Armageddon, I wouldn't be in piddling Kumamoto. I'd go to the one tether with two walking volcanoes sitting on it and start trouble there. Granted Kilauea is very hard for a demon to get to, but the payoff would be huge. If this is someone powerful enough to bend Baal's mind, why didn't they go for Pele? Why kid around with Tadatoshi who could fix the whole misunderstanding over some tea?"

He doesn't like this, not one bit. Sometimes it sucks having an active mind, and one with an active heart beating beneath it. He's scared; it's on his face. "Sunae, you're not scared?"

Last edited by tHEhERETIC; 12-09-2014 at 03:46 AM. Reason: making it a touch more personal and talking to background arcs
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:59 AM   #3324
ladyarcana55

Quote:
"But something's off. If I wanted to spread nightmares, cleave the spirits from Heaven, maybe start World War Three, I would not send three goofy minions to Kumamoto. You said it, Sunae, it's the wrong castle on the wrong date. And who'd we find this out from? A gadfly--okay, one smart enough to find Michael and Baal having beers, but one dumb enough to get manipulated into a Malakite's truck. Us, here, now...it's too easy.
"I don't think it's Nightmares. I don't think Hell has anything to do with it. Why would they attack their own Tethers? There is a lot more to this and we are just scratching the surface. We have to take this guy out soon and return home. I think the answer will lie with the Asgardian who got away. That was just too well organized and I don't like it."

Quote:
He doesn't like this, not one bit. Sometimes it sucks having an active mind, and one with an active heart beating beneath it. He's scared; it's on his face. "Sunae, you're not scared?"
Sunae shakes her head.

"I was raised knowing full well the horrible things that could happen to me. But it's a price we pay to fight under our Lady's banner. Besides...if I allow myself to be scared I will make rash decisions that will lead to mistakes. Mistakes get people killed...or worse. No, I have full faith in my grandfather's teachings and in my Lady's blessings. Far more faith in Her than I will ever have in Heaven."
Old 12-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #3325
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
"I don't think it's Nightmares. I don't think Hell has anything to do with it. Why would they attack their own Tethers? There is a lot more to this and we are just scratching the surface. We have to take this guy out soon and return home. I think the answer will lie with the Asgardian who got away. That was just too well organized and I don't like it."
((Excellent points, as always))

Quote:
Sunae shakes her head.

"I was raised knowing full well the horrible things that could happen to me. But it's a price we pay to fight under our Lady's banner. Besides...if I allow myself to be scared I will make rash decisions that will lead to mistakes. Mistakes get people killed...or worse. No, I have full faith in my grandfather's teachings and in my Lady's blessings. Far more faith in Her than I will ever have in Heaven."
For just a second it's clear to all that this was the reaction he'd feared from her, and worse. Then the mask goes up, and it's almost thick enough to fool people that it's only the war that upsets him.

((Getting ready for work so I have to be brief just now.))
Old 12-09-2014, 03:41 PM   #3326
Dalillama

Quote:

"If you go in, you'll need a guide. Kane, or Sunae, or Glen, or all three. The rest of us could help but only if this chucklehead doesn't run into any ethereals who were at that party."
Quote:
"We'll tell them you're my apprentice."
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 04:03 AM   #3327
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Ryuki finds this visibly funny, knowing full well that if they go into the Marches that he would likely be the feckless apprentice. He knew there was a reason he liked Glen, and not just because he cut deals on grimoires.

Quote:
The impact of her words softened by laughter, Ryuki addressed them. "To hide their tracks. All three have had tethers hit--angel, demon, and gods; Pohang, L.A., and here. It could be any side of this war," there, he said it, "and we're meant to believe whichever we want to believe is responsible. "Demons, because angels have been hit hard and intimately. Angels, because of the Christian imagery today and because of us mucking around Kingman's and Russo's and everybody else's. Or gods, because of the All Soul's massacre or because one of the Aesir went AWOL. Or gods, because hitting all three means that the one with obvious divisions within are probably attacking each other, but then why Pohang?..."
Quote:
Sunae shakes her head.

"I ... Far more faith in Her than I will ever have in Heaven."
Usually Corat's the one who rambles, but Ryuki's afraid that if he stops talking he'll keep a secret that he shouldn't. "...or angels, with their less-obvious internal divisions, or The Game is losing his grip....too many choices. But you're right, probably not demons. Meaning, on some level, all this destruction is coming from a friend...

Ryuki cringes, worried about the impact of such words on these warriors of Heaven.

Corat tries to make it better despite his own feelings. "Factions...is a comforting thought. But we should find out more before we act."

Ryuki's energy is split between worrying about the reaction to what he'd said and to what he hasn't said. He tries to catch Glen's eye but can't quite seem to do it without catching everybody else's. ((Failed find-the-character-sheet-to-check-Perceptiion roll.))

Last edited by tHEhERETIC; 12-13-2014 at 04:06 AM.
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:04 AM   #3328
ladyarcana55

Quote:
The impact of her words softened by laughter, Ryuki addressed them. "To hide their tracks. All three have had tethers hit--angel, demon, and gods; Pohang, L.A., and here. It could be any side of this war," there, he said it, "and we're meant to believe whichever we want to believe is responsible. "Demons, because angels have been hit hard and intimately. Angels, because of the Christian imagery today and because of us mucking around Kingman's and Russo's and everybody else's. Or gods, because of the All Soul's massacre or because one of the Aesir went AWOL. Or gods, because hitting all three means that the one with obvious divisions within are probably attacking each other, but then why Pohang?..."

Usually Corat's the one who rambles, but Ryuki's afraid that if he stops talking he'll keep a secret that he shouldn't. "...or angels, with their less-obvious internal divisions, or The Game is losing his grip....too many choices. But you're right, probably not demons. Meaning, on some level, all this destruction is coming from a friend...
"I think that no matter how you see it, in the end it's an attack on Heaven. The Ethereals don't trust Heaven or the Angels, but there are a few groups that have broken away from Hell. That weakens Hell. If they can find a way to get the Ethereals to return to the fold, so to speak, then that will solve that. What better way than to convince them Heaven is still hostile to them? And what better group to run to than the one who took down one of Heaven's major Tethers? That was a show of strength on the attackers' part and a show of weakness on ours."
Old 12-15-2014, 04:50 AM   #3329
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Quote:
"I think that no matter how you see it, in the end it's an attack on Heaven. The Ethereals don't trust Heaven or the Angels, but there are a few groups that have broken away from Hell. That weakens Hell. If they can find a way to get the Ethereals to return to the fold, so to speak, then that will solve that. What better way than to convince them Heaven is still hostile to them? And what better group to run to than the one who took down one of Heaven's major Tethers? That was a show of strength on the attackers' part and a show of weakness on ours."
Quote:
"Alright, that settles it." Corat takes the reins, so to speak. "Ryuki and Glen--the Ethereals only know me and Mitch, so you can go into the dream and follow Mo-mo around. Sunae you go with them; you were a hawk last time so they won't know you either. Kane should accompany you...Ryuki, where'd you put Kane's voice?"

"Me?"

"Mitch and I can keep this guy's body here. Glen, could you leave the hound with us, or will he mind? We'll find out who Mo-mo's connected to and then we'll work on getting back to L.A."

"Passports should be on the way."

"I was hoping for something quicker than that."

"That would be rude. I asked the Seneschal about passports..." Ryuki's look to Mitch is a plea to sort this part out.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:07 AM   #3330
ladyarcana55

Quote:
"Alright, that settles it." Corat takes the reins, so to speak. "Ryuki and Glen--the Ethereals only know me and Mitch, so you can go into the dream and follow Mo-mo around. Sunae you go with them; you were last time so they won't know you either. Kane should accompany you...Ryuki, where'd you put Kane's voice?"
"No, the last time I was there the Asgardians saw me as a hawk. I went to the party to help rescue our wayward Soldier and the people at the party saw me and there is a chance Misrule saw me as well. Also, don't forget the Loa and the Greek pantheons."

Quote:
"I was hoping for something quicker than that."

"That would be rude. I asked the Seneschal about passports..." Ryuki's look to Mitch is a plea to sort this part out.
"Corey...we're trying to make friends and prove ourselves as allies. Let's not demand more than what they are willing, or able, to give."

Tags
in nomine