Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-12-2017, 10:06 AM   #41
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#27): Common Sense, Intuition

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
As far as Common Sense goes:
Now I'm wondering if there is a level of Cosmic which would turn Common Sense from "told when what you are doing would be unwise" into "what you are doing becomes the wisest course of action"?

As in even if the PC is tacking the most bone-headed course possible, using this ability turns it into the most brilliant (if still unexpected or stupid looking) thing to do.

Sort of a "Serendipity and Destiny gang up with Common Sense and run amok" thing.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:11 AM   #42
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Now I'm wondering if there is a level of Cosmic which would turn Common Sense from "told when what you are doing would be unwise" into "what you are doing becomes the wisest course of action"?

As in even if the PC is tacking the most bone-headed course possible, using this ability turns it into the most brilliant (if still unexpected or stupid looking) thing to do.

Sort of a "Serendipity and Destiny gang up with Common Sense and run amok" thing.
Destiny (Mary Sue, all activities) +5 [50]?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:13 AM   #43
evileeyore
Banned

Separating this from the above wacky idea:

Quote:
As far as Common Sense goes:
Hmmm. Then Common Sense is the "this situation calls for a roll, so just roll IQ if it's better than your skill default" thing if the PC has Common Sense.

I kinda like that as an interpretation. It gives the advantage utility outside of just the GM saying "stop doing that stupid thing".
Old 01-12-2017, 10:15 AM   #44
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Destiny (Mary Sue, all activities) +5 [50]?
Nah, that just gives you a bonus to your rolls... but maybe Serendipity (Cosmic - Dumb Luck, 100%) [30] might do. Maybe?

I still like trying to tie it to Common Sense though.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:43 AM   #45
Otaku

Given my confusion up thread, I wanted to thank whswhs for his most recent post; it was detailed enough to be clear, but not so much as to be overwhelming. I found it quite helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
In GURPS you get what you pay for, not what "makes sense".
Quote:
False. You get what the creator of the ability thinks it needs and pay what they think it's worth.

If you think otherwise, explain the pricing of Combat Reflexes in relation to Enhanced Defenses.
If we are going to be splitting hairs, neither of you is correct, though NineDaysDead has the better rule of thumb (an intentional oversimplification that still proves useful).

Ugh, probably sound rather cocky given my admitted confusion throughout this discussion, but I am hoping we have something so... erm... basic that even I can speak with some confidence. If we are going for a precise guiding principle, in GURPS you get what you pay based on what RAW says as interpreted and/or adjusted by the gaming group. The GM has the final say in the case of disagreements. GURPS is pretty big on customization, after all; it just is also big on the GM and players all being clear about what is not adhering to RAW, and willing to deal with any consequences from it.

If you can recall from two years ago, we were discussing the massive discount built into Combat Reflexes in the previous BaotW thread. ;)
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:21 PM   #46
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
If you can recall from two years ago, we were discussing the massive discount built into Combat Reflexes in the previous BaotW thread. ;)
I stand by my statement as Combat Reflexes isn't the only example, just the easiest and most discussed.

Abilities are frequently priced at the "feels right" setting rather than the "strictly RAW" setting.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:24 AM   #47
Otaku

I fear I am monopolizing the thread... does it seem that way to anyone else? This was a problem the last time I was doing these threads; instead of facilitating discussion it went from a general thread about [insert Advantage] to "Otaku's Thoughts On [insert Advantage]". I guess I am asking if anyone feels I ought to limit myself more?

I wanted to answer an earlier question:
Quote:

GURPS Powers has something named "Pattern Analysis" in its Sample Abilities section that begins on page 136; Pattern Analysis itself is on page 149. It is built from Common Sense, Intuition, and Oracle and if it isn't quite right, then at least it seems like it might give you ideas on how to proceed building what you actually need.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 01-13-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:10 AM   #48
whswhs

Quote:
Hmmm. Then Common Sense is the "this situation calls for a roll, so just roll IQ if it's better than your skill default" thing if the PC has Common Sense.
I don't really see how you get that. The things where Common Sense lets you roll vs. IQ are not things where a normal character would ever roll vs. any skill; they're so simple that you don't need a skill, or a skill with a bonus, or even IQ to avoid failure, and where the action that constitutes "failure" is one that a normal character wouldn't do even on a critical failure. In fact for the GM to say, "Okay, the dice roll failed, so your character does X" would strike many people (including me) as GM abuse in this kind of case. This is a matter not of a bad dice roll but of narrative forcing of an outcome by the player's own choices, in a situation where the player is exceptionally bad at recognizing certain ideas as stupid and self-destructive.

In other words, Common Sense is a pure meta-level trait, like Luck or Serendipity or perhaps Weirdness Magnet. Traits like IQ and skills don't substitute for it.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:20 PM   #49
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

I think the correct price for Common Sense would be 1 point and no roll required.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:25 PM   #50
Anders

Quote:
In other words, Common Sense is a pure meta-level trait, like Luck or Serendipity or perhaps Weirdness Magnet. Traits like IQ and skills don't substitute for it.
Which makes it very odd that it's based on character IQ. Would you agree that this, at least, is an advantage where a target number would make more sense?

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, common sense, intuition, week, [basic]