Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-24-2014, 02:38 AM   #41
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Something between Terminally Ill and Self Destruct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Gurps doesn't do aging, true. It does Stat loss which isn't even very similar to real aging. Old people get diabetes, glaucoma, arthritis, etc. not IQ or HT loss. A man over 100 years old ran a marathon. But he's still obviously hella' old.

Aging is about how one's risk of death doubles about every 8 years regardless of average life expectancy. From age 10 on. One's risk decreases from birth to about age 10.
I'm thinking that Unageing might actually become worth its points if any affliction that is similar to the effects of ageing would count as affected by the immunity. So no Attribute Penalty affliction, no affliction of alzheimer-like stuff etc. But this is an extremely counterintuitive solution, and potentially very very ugly.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:16 AM   #42
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
For an actually effective aging attack I'd really go with an Affliction with an aging special effect that lowers characteristics.
Whether or not leech is an actually effective aging attack or stupidly overpriced and ineffective is a different question.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:23 AM   #43
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Gurps doesn't do aging, true. It does Stat loss which isn't even very similar to real aging. Old people get diabetes, glaucoma, arthritis, etc. not IQ or HT loss. A man over 100 years old ran a marathon. But he's still obviously hella' old.

Aging is about how one's risk of death doubles about every 8 years regardless of average life expectancy. From age 10 on. One's risk decreases from birth to about age 10.
Quote:
At the GM’s option, you may lose advantages or gain disadvantages of equivalent point value instead of losing an attribute point. For example, your Appearance could decline, or you could gain Hard of Hearing.
GM: "You critically failed your aging HT roll for IQ. Take some combination of -40 points worth of IQ, intelligence related disadvantages, or negated intelligence related advantages."

Player: "Ok, I drop my character's Eidetic Memory [5] and take Absent Mindedness [-15], Confused (9 or less) [-15] and Hidebound [-5]. My character is developing Alzheimer’s."

Last edited by NineDaysDead; 11-24-2014 at 04:47 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:34 AM   #44
Not

Quote:

Defined that way, acquiring Extremely hazardous duty is equivalent to suffering an aging attack.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:57 AM   #45
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Whether or not leech is an actually effective aging attack or stupidly overpriced and ineffective is a different question.
It isn't supposed to be an effective attack. It's supposed to be an effective way to advertise how evil you are in the process of ensuring youth for as long as it takes until someone finally kills you for being so evil. But as I said, for real attacks I'd go with afflictions.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:13 AM   #46
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
It isn't supposed to be an effective attack.
Says who?

Quote:
It's supposed to be an effective way to advertise how evil you are in the process of ensuring youth for as long as it takes until someone finally kills you for being so evil.
Leech (Steal Youth +300%) [100], compare that with Unaging [15] + 85 points of nastiness would probably be more effective.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:22 AM   #47
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Says who?

Leech (Steal Youth +300%) [100], compare that with Unaging [15] + 85 points of nastiness would probably be more effective.
Throw in Ranged, Malediction, and Area Effect. Now you're stealing youth from everybody in the room, which certainly qualifies as evil.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:36 AM   #48
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Throw in Ranged, Malediction, and Area Effect. Now you're stealing youth from everybody in the room, which certainly qualifies as evil.
Compare:

Leech (Steal Youth +300%) [100]

Vs

Affliction (Area Effect 2 yards, +50%; Attribute Penalty: ST -1, DX -1, IQ -1, HT -1 +30%; Cumulative +400%; Disadvantage: Appearance -20 points, +20% Extended Duration: Permanent +150%; Malediction +100%) [85]+ Unaging [15].

If you get successfully hit by Leech 12 times you will lose a year of life; No real effects unless you are 49+.

If you get successfully hit by Affliction 12 times you will lose 12 levels in every Attribute and be Horrific;

Leech (Area Effect 4 Yards +100%; Malediction +100%; Ranged +40%; Steal Youth +300%) [160]

vs

Affliction (Area Effect 4 yards, +100%; Attribute Penalty: ST -1, DX -1, IQ -1, HT -1 +30%; Cosmic: No Rule of 16, +50%; Cumulative +400%; Disadvantage: Appearance -20 points, +20% Extended Duration: Permanent +150%; Malediction +100%) [95] + Will +10 [50] Unaging [15].
Old 11-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #49
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
Defined that way, acquiring Extremely hazardous duty is equivalent to suffering an aging attack.
I see where you got that, but that's not what I meant. Aging is how your risk of dying in any given year from all sources doubles every 8 years come hell or high water. Regardless of environmental risks.
Life expectancy in war zones is horribly low, but regardless, 40 year olds have double the chance of dying than 32 year olds in a given year.
I hope I'm clearer this time.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:24 AM   #50
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
It isn't supposed to be an effective attack. It's supposed to be an effective way to advertise how evil you are in the process of ensuring youth for as long as it takes until someone finally kills you for being so evil. But as I said, for real attacks I'd go with afflictions.
In movies and TV it's far simpler to show evil by killing/harming a cute pet.
Much cheaper in points too.

Evil is why and how you do something, not necessarily what you do.
I can imagine plenty of ways in which "stealing time" would seem perfectly just.

Tags
disadvantage, incompetence, new disadvantages, self destruct, terminally ill