Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #31
Not

Default Re: Something between Terminally Ill and Self Destruct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingLord View Post
Getting to go out in a blaze of glory would be an advantage. It would certainly not be disadvantageous.

Also, Cannot learn should be worth nothing in a short lived campaign (or at least short lived from that players point if view).
Easy solution: don't tell the GM you're moving and load up.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #32
LemmingLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
Easy solution: don't tell the GM you're moving and load up.
Well that's true! Heck, work out an elaborate backstory working with your gamemaster so that your character is pivotal to the story and then move and change your phone number and email address!!
Old 11-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #33
Not

Quote:
Well that's true! Heck, work out an elaborate backstory working with your gamemaster so that your character is pivotal to the story and then move and change your phone number and email address!!
I've only done that once.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:23 PM   #34
Dwarf99

I hope I'm not too late to answer this. I wrote this about cancer when I was writing a Supers supplement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Cancer is not accurately depicted by Terminally Ill because it represents an immediate death at an exact time, whereas with Self Destruct allows for a roll and die mechanic. By default it is onset at 50 years for a flat -10 points. Levels of Short Lifespan can be taken at -10 points per “virtual level”, up to 4. This gives onset a range between 3 and 50 years for a base cost of -10 to -50 points. Also by default, you roll daily for self destruct, but cancer often has a much slower resolution. This can be simulated by Increased Duration bought as a limitation (remember limitations reduce the value of Disadvantages too). A duration of x10 allows a week between rolls, x30 allows a month, x100 allows a season, (-40% to -80%).This rule allows for a variable survival time. A HT 16 character might make it 54 seasons (about 14 years) assuming no remissions, while HT 10 characters might get one successful roll to work on that Bucket List with. This assumes no remissions. Remission: as a special effect, critical successes allow you to enter a remission phase where failure only takes you out of remission (rather than killing you outright). It takes a critical failure to die outright during remission but if you’re currently fighting, any failed roll will kill you. It wouldn’t be unreasonable to assume starting age 25 and Weekly rolls for -12 points. In any case characters with this disadvantage must equal or exceed the starting age and they are considered to have just succeeded at a roll.
Code:
Starting     Roll Frequency
Age          Daily    3 days   1 week   1 month   1 season
50           -10      -8       -6       -4        -2
25           -20      -16      -12      -8        -4
12           -30      -24      -18      -12       -6
6            -40      -32      -24      -16       -8
3            -50      -40      -30      -20       -10
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #35
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
I am aware only of one aging attack available on raw, a youth stealing spell that requires the target being helpless. .
Leech (Steal Youth +300/+450%)
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:08 PM   #36
LemmingLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Leech (Steal Youth +300/+450%)
Two! Two raw aging attacks, ah ah ah.

Still, doesn't appear often in genres I'm familiar with except monster hunters with draining undead...
Old 11-24-2014, 01:35 AM   #37
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Two! Two raw aging attacks, ah ah ah.
I don't think counting the "youth stealing" spell and Leech as being equal is fair; The "youth stealing" spell is just one thing, leech would be the basis for nearly all other youth stealing powers e.g. a psionic youth stealing power would be built with leech, a super youth stealing power would be built with leech, etc.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:52 AM   #38
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
I don't think counting the "youth stealing" spell and Leech as being equal is fair; The "youth stealing" spell is just one thing, leech would be the basis for nearly all other youth stealing powers e.g. a psionic youth stealing power would be built with leech, a super youth stealing power would be built with leech, etc.
For an actually effective aging attack I'd really go with an Affliction with an aging special effect that lowers characteristics.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:08 AM   #39
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Deleterious effects that reduce life expectancy are not real aging. Meth damages one's body but won't increase one's risk for all age related diseases.

Scaring yourself into an early grave requires either a heart attack or basic long term stress damage. In unrealistic settings, fright can cause any weird effect you want, from hair suddenly turning white to skin wrinkles appearing overnight.
You know, deleterious effects that reduce life expectancy as years go by aren't real aging either. Just like there is no such thing as HP. There's just gradual partial or complete failure of organs or cells as they are exposed to effects that are harmful to them. If you refuse to let Unaging immunise you against those effects, then Unaging is not worth its price in your games, probably even Longevity is not worth [2] either.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:27 AM   #40
Flyndaran
Untagged

Gurps doesn't do aging, true. It does Stat loss which isn't even very similar to real aging. Old people get diabetes, glaucoma, arthritis, etc. not IQ or HT loss. A man over 100 years old ran a marathon. But he's still obviously hella' old.

Aging is about how one's risk of death doubles about every 8 years regardless of average life expectancy. From age 10 on. One's risk decreases from birth to about age 10.

Tags
disadvantage, incompetence, new disadvantages, self destruct, terminally ill