Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 04-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
Dudimus

Default Closing Seals

I just got an Apocalypse set, and after looking through the rules and cards I've got a few questions about seals.

I open a seal and it's the DOOM!!! seal. Obviously I open another seal, let's say Beer Shortage. Then I play The Chosen One and close the seal. I assume all Militia will still go down a level before Chosen One takes effect, but after that, according to the Apocalypse rule sheet, I close Beer Shortage, put it on the bottom of the seal deck, and then use the "continuing effect" of the previous seal, which happens to be DOOM!!!. What happens?

A strict reading of the card would mean that another seal must automatically be opened, but the Doom seal has no "continuing effect," so should it simply remain open and do nothing instead? (And if that's the case, what would the Destroying Angel do with it? Open a new seal I would guess.)

I'm leaning towards treating the Doom text as both the immediate and continuing effect of the card, thus automatically opening a new seal when the previous seal is closed, but that would mean there is basically no way to close seals past the point at which the Doom seal was opened. I don't think playing The Chosen One as soon as the Doom seal is opened would work, because the Doom seal would have to be applied before the Chosen One takes effect.

Could I close Doom with two seal closing abilities? For instance if in the above example I was also a Scientist and used technobabble to close a seal and simultaneously used the Chosen One to close the second seal, would that close the Doom seal, or would it still open a new seal before the second closing event occurs?
Dudimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Closing Seals

I am going to have to look at all of these cards in more detail before I attempt an answer, but I can put some of this to bed immediately: DOOOOM!! has no continuing effect.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:15 PM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudimus View Post
I open a seal and it's the DOOM!!! seal. Obviously I open another seal, let's say Beer Shortage. Then I play The Chosen One and close the seal. I assume all Militia will still go down a level before Chosen One takes effect,
Yes, because closing a Seal by itself doesn't interrupt the Seal's effect. Contrast with the wording on Safety Dance, which is explicit that its effect is immediate and interrupts the Seal's effect.

Quote:
but after that, according to the Apocalypse rule sheet, I close Beer Shortage, put it on the bottom of the seal deck, and then use the "continuing effect" of the previous seal, which happens to be DOOM!!!. What happens?
As previously answered, nothing, because DOOM!!! has no Continuing Effect.

Quote:
And if that's the case, what would the Destroying Angel do with it? Open a new seal I would guess.)
Yup.

Quote:
Could I close Doom with two seal closing abilities? For instance if in the above example I was also a Scientist and used technobabble to close a seal and simultaneously used the Chosen One to close the second seal, would that close the Doom seal, or would it still open a new seal before the second closing event occurs?
There is no card in base Munchkin Apocalypse that allows you to close more than one Seal at once. There is, however, such a card in Sheep Impact.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:20 AM   #4
Dudimus

Thank you very much!
Dudimus is offline   Reply With Quote