Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-30-2014, 07:02 AM   #61
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: How is Hidebound a disadvantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
(At the risk of going off topic, I must ask Sunrunners_Fire about this. Whenever he is of a different mind than me, my mind is concerned.)

To me, it's the opposite. Things with a self-control check are soft compels as you can roll to avoid them. Things without a self-control check are hard compels because they're always in force. E.g. To me, adding a self-control check to Hidebound would make it less of a disadvantage. Please disabuse me of my false notion or concede that I'm correct.
To me there are four categories of disadvantages:
  • "You should do ..."
    Are soft compels. The only mechanical consequence for ignoring them is potentially being docked earned CP for bad roleplay. Code of Honor is one of these.
  • "You will do ..."
    Are hard compels. The mechanical consequence for ignoring them is potentially losing control of your character and potentially being docked earned CP for bad roleplay. Anything with a self-control check fits here.
  • "You suffer if you do ..."
    Are, well, penalties. If you do it or others do it to you, you suffer mechanical penalties or consequences. Hidebound as written is in this category.
  • "You cannot do ..."
    Remove your abilities. You cannot do _foo. Period. Full stop. Missing Hand, Legless, etc are in this category.

I may be using the compel terminology incorrectly, admittedly. I apologize if that is the part causing confusion. A soft compel is a suggestion; it has little to no mechanical bite if you ignore it -- a hard compel can potentially take your character away from your control until it has run its' course.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:26 PM   #62
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Doesn't mean the anti-talent view is without merit: its just flexible about which skills and situations it applies to.
Exactly. It's an anti-Talent the same way Versatile is a non-levelled pseudo-Talent.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:26 PM   #63
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
(At the risk of going off topic, I must ask Sunrunners_Fire about this. Whenever he is of a different mind than me, my mind is concerned.)

To me, it's the opposite. Things with a self-control check are soft compels as you can roll to avoid them. Things without a self-control check are hard compels because they're always in force. E.g. To me, adding a self-control check to Hidebound would make it less of a disadvantage. Please disabuse me of my false notion or concede that I'm correct.
That's my impression as well. I too, was confused, by his use of soft vs hard compel, in the opposite way of how I'd have used them.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:38 PM   #64
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
To me there are four categories of disadvantages:
  • "You should do ..."
    Are soft compels. The only mechanical consequence for ignoring them is potentially being docked earned CP for bad roleplay. Code of Honor is one of these.
  • "You will do ..."
    Are hard compels. The mechanical consequence for ignoring them is potentially losing control of your character and potentially being docked earned CP for bad roleplay. Anything with a self-control check fits here.
  • "You suffer if you do ..."
    Are, well, penalties. If you do it or others do it to you, you suffer mechanical penalties or consequences. Hidebound as written is in this category.
  • "You cannot do ..."
    Remove your abilities. You cannot do _foo. Period. Full stop. Missing Hand, Legless, etc are in this category.

I may be using the compel terminology incorrectly, admittedly. I apologize if that is the part causing confusion. A soft compel is a suggestion; it has little to no mechanical bite if you ignore it -- a hard compel can potentially take your character away from your control until it has run its' course.

Just to note: Hidebound includes what you call a soft compel as well as penalties for tasks.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disadvantage, hidebound