Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #21
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: (Starting) Situational Disadvantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman99942 View Post
I have seen people working out wealth home rules that had starting money separate from wealth. This really wasn't that. It was meant as a category for ANY situational disadvantage. Maybe you start out Cursed... Or with an injured limb (1 month to heal)... Or ANY limited time problem that ends up either being solved by the PCs or solves itself in the end. Maybe countering this disadvantage with 'open use' Character Points isn't in the spirit of the GURPS system. Maybe equipment bonuses (when they got back) or reputations or other specific advantages would be more appropriate.
You can do this with Potential Advantages p. B33. For example you can start Cursed [-75] and Potentially Not Cursed [38] for a total of [-37].

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Can you rephrase that question for me?
The OP said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman99942 View Post
Starting out dead broke in a bandit prison camp doesn't mean the characters start out above the campaign points level. They simply begin with one or more campaign's worth of "pre-earned" adventuring character points.
Which doesn't seem like it's phrased as a choice. I suspect he met either "session" or "adventure" rather than "campaign" here. Otherwise it's kind of pointless [heh]:

GM: So you start out as 2000 point characters, but 1850 points are point debt. You'll have to pay that off as earned points each session and I expect you'll only earn 400 or so over the entire campaign.
Player: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? What's the difference between that and "No Character Point rewards ever"?
GM: None whatsoever.

Quote:
t usually was only justifiable with house rules like being allowed to cash in unspent CP to "buy down" results of Success Rolls.
That's not a house rule but an "official" option. See Optional Rule: Influencing Success Rolls p. B347 and GURPS Power Ups 5: Impulse Buys.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #22
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
That's not a house rule but an "official" option. See Optional Rule: Influencing Success Rolls p. B347 and GURPS Power Ups 5: Impulse Buys.
Was it in 3e? If not that means the GM from whom the GMs I played under must have had Snatcher, Jumper or some form of divination, as it was being used in '94, '95, or '96, when I first started gaming. ;) If it is in 3e, I am not too proud to thank you should you list a page reference; I looked for it over a decade ago (along with the whole group) and couldn't find it.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 09-08-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #23
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Was it in 3e? If not that means the GM from whom the GMs I played under must have had Snatcher, Jumper or some form of divination, as it was being used in '94, '95, or '96, when I first started gaming. ;) If it is in 3e, I am not too proud to thank you should you list a page reference; I looked for it over a decade ago (along with the whole group) and couldn't find it.
I think it was in Compedium II, but it's been ages and IDHMBWM.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #24
MatthewVilter

Quote:
It may have been a common house rule at the time and been rolled into 4e. Or it may be a case of convergent evolution. It's not a huge leap from other systems where players get some kind of "fate points" to use each session. Although I think personally I do prefer those kinds mechanics (like Luck in GURPS) to this rule where the character is basically permanently weakened.
MatthewVilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #25
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
I think it was in Compedium II, but it's been ages and IDHMBWM.
This likely predates Compendium II, which I think was released in 1996 or 1997. Of course, it still may be in there and if so I'd love a page reference (that is one of the books I still have).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewVilter View Post
It may have been a common house rule at the time and been rolled into 4e. Or it may be a case of convergent evolution. It's not a huge leap from other systems where players get some kind of "fate points" to use each session. Although I think personally I do prefer those kinds mechanics (like Luck in GURPS) to this rule where the character is basically permanently weakened.
It is true that it may have just been a common house rule that "made good" or that it was in CII and we just missed it when looking for it over a decade ago) or (with my memory) we did find it and I just have forgotten. ^^'

That being said, there is a definite advantage to this system; while it "weakens you permanently" it is in a sense a one-shot Blessed. The house rules I played under (at first) only restricted you on not paying a roll down to a critical success. We were allowed to pay down critical failures! We also weren't restricted on who's roll we could pay down (if this is how the official Impulse Buys rule works, let me know but I doubt it).

I think we began to restrict it more and more before dropping it.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #26
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
If it is in 3e, I am not too proud to thank you should you list a page reference; I looked for it over a decade ago (along with the whole group) and couldn't find it.
I purged all 3e knowledge from my brain a long time ago, sorry.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disadvantage, situational, starting