Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #11
Guy Macon

Default Re: Who says armor cannot withstand nukes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
EM pulse! Now your Ogre is a pretty scorched GIANT lawn ornament.
Nope. To get a good-sized EMP you need to set the nuke off at very high altitudes, and even then, today's commercial and military aircraft can easily withstand EMP.
Guy Macon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Wait you're telling me that the movie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_Soldiers
lied to me about the effects of emps?
I feel so disillusioned.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:07 AM   #13
Guy Macon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Wait you're telling me that the movie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_Soldiers
lied to me about the effects of emps?
I feel so disillusioned.
You can't expect Hollywood to be as accurate and realistic as Steve Jackson Games. Why SJG even has official government endorsement to the accuracy of GURPS Cyberpunk!

On March 1, 1990 Steve Jackson Games saw an invasion of US Secret Service agents seizing any system used for GURPS Cyberpunk RPG book. The agents thought it was a real book about hacking... (Voice of Homer Simpson: D'OH!!)

And that, my friends, is why we have the Electronic Frontier Foundation today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jackson_Games
Guy Macon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:38 AM   #14
sgbeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Macon View Post

Amended now to include missing Battlefields and Ogre Reinforcements Pack references. :)
sgbeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #15
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Macon View Post
Nope. To get a good-sized EMP you need to set the nuke off at very high altitudes, and even then, today's commercial and military aircraft can easily withstand EMP.
Erm, that's only true if you want an EMP capable of affecting a huge surface area (e.g., half the continent). ALL nukes create EMP, any time they detonate. However, given the fact that this particular war supposedly went on for 40 years, and given the fact that we hardened B-52's to withstand EMP back in the 50's and keep flying in the nuclear battlefield, I'd have to say that EMP would be highly unlikely to have any affect at all on any of the military hardware in the game.

An interesting side note is that vacuum tube technology is much more resistant to EMP than microcircuitry and transistors are. Which makes me think that Ogres may actually be Steampunk-like machines....
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #16
KevinR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
An interesting side note is that vacuum tube technology is much more resistant to EMP than microcircuitry and transistors are. Which makes me think that Ogres may actually be Steampunk-like machines....
The Ogres have enough volume and armor that they should be able to have an heavily-shielded electronics bay. (Although, to be honest, I can't recall enough of the spectrum of a nuclear explosion to know whether shielding actually is effective. It works well against high-energy ions, which dominates the environment I'm used to dealing with.)

I do think that the fallback automation for disabled armor is probably little more than relays and switches, though.
KevinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #17
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
The Ogres have enough volume and armor that they should be able to have an heavily-shielded electronics bay. (Although, to be honest, I can't recall enough of the spectrum of a nuclear explosion to know whether shielding actually is effective. It works well against high-energy ions, which dominates the environment I'm used to dealing with.)

I do think that the fallback automation for disabled armor is probably little more than relays and switches, though.
Oh c'mon. Don't be such a spoilsport. A steampunk Ogre would be WAY cool! I can imagine some little town in the Factory States era building an Ogre by cannibalizing all the old vacuum tube radios in the town dump....
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor, carbon, nuclear, nuke, ogre