Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 08-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #21
tmedwards

Default Re: GURPS GCA4 Errata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden_Loveshade View Post
I unchecked "Disable auto-recalculation of traits." When I reloaded the program, it was checked again. I don't know what happened--could have been me.
Strange. Did you try again? Just open GCA, change the setting, and close GCA. Then reopen GCA and check.

If that doesn't work, then something odd is going on, but following the instructions in FAQ entry #3 should take care of it. I'd try manually deleting the gca.ini first, so you don't lose your sheet options settings. If you're not worried about your sheet settings, just use the GCAClearAppData utility mentioned in the FAQ entry.

Alternatively, if you're feeling adventurous, you could always edit your gca.ini by hand—while GCA isn't running, of course. Look under the [RunOptions] section and change the values of the NoAutoRecalc and NoCalcSecondaryFeatures options to 0 (zero). For example:
Code:
NoAutoRecalc=0
NoCalcSecondaryFeatures=0

GCA4 resources: GCA Repository, Phoenix (r66), GMCS (2.17), Bookish (r12)
tmedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #22
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
You're assuming Accuracy adds to skill for all purposes. The text of the enchantment seems to indicate it only adds for the purposes of hitting (although it's ambiguously worded, not uncommon for GURPS Magic).
There's two things going on with this. First, I tend to agree with Bruno. The spell says it makes it easier to hit with the weapon, not that it gives you a skill bonus to wield the weapon. The former suggests a situational bonus only when you are trying "to hit;" the later suggests a situational bonus when you are using the weapon, including when you are parrying with it.

Second, I recall experimenting with trying to make this kind of bonus also apply to Parry and couldn't get it to work reliably (sure, you can very easily give +1 to Parry, but +1/2 to Parry becomes an issue). So I decided to leave well enough alone.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:03 PM   #23
Bruno

A general bonus to skillscore, on the other hand, seems to work fine (See also the Weapon Focus perk/modifier, which seems to work for affecting Parry as well as tohit).
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:34 PM   #24
ericbsmith

Actually, finally getting a chance to look at the ~Accuracy modifier it looks like I did work out the issues, or am misremembering what the exact issue I had was. I currently have the modifier set up specifically so that it is adding to the 'to hit' and subtracting from the 'parry' of the weapon; so I purposely went out of my way to set up the modifier so that it wouldn't affect the parry score.

And, again, by my reading that's how it's supposed to work anyway. Compare to, say, the Quality (Balanced) modifier from Low-Tech p. 59 which specifically states it gives '+1 to skill with any melee weapon' and not just '+1 to hit.' The same holds true for Weapon Bond (numerous books) which gives '+1 to skill with one weapon.'
Kaboom-baya.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:53 PM   #25
ericbsmith

And, I got a note back from Kromm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Accuracy is meant to affect attacks, not parries. I'd be very generous
with what counts as an attack -- I'd allow feints, armed grapples, etc.
-- but defenses are the realm of other enchantments.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #26
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmedwards View Post
Strange. Did you try again? Just open GCA, change the setting, and close GCA. Then reopen GCA and check.

If that doesn't work, then something odd is going on, but following the instructions in FAQ entry #3 should take care of it. I'd try manually deleting the gca.ini first, so you don't lose your sheet options settings....
I did try it again and got the same thing. But when I uninstalled/reinstalled GCA I didn't do the delete gca.ini thing you linked to. GCA also crashes on me fairly often, so that might solve both those problems. Thanks for the link and I hope this works!
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #27
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
And, I got a note back from Kromm:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Accuracy is meant to affect attacks, not parries. I'd be very generous
with what counts as an attack -- I'd allow feints, armed grapples, etc.
-- but defenses are the realm of other enchantments.
Thanks for the official word! I do think that putting together the notes from those different books could be logically interpreted more than one way. Perhaps it could be clarified in future editions.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:20 PM   #28
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmedwards View Post
...If that doesn't work, then something odd is going on, but following the instructions in FAQ entry #3 should take care of it....
I tried deleting it manually first, but as I had more than one gca.ini and deleting the first one I found didn't help, I did GCAClearAppData.exe. At first I didn't think was working, but it finally did. That actually cleared up a few problems I'd been having--I no longer have red Ps for missing prerequisites that are actually there. So thanks to you for directing me there and thanks to ericbsmith for writing it!

Tags
errata, gca4, gurps 4th edition