Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-12-2018, 07:31 AM   #91
tbeard1999

Default Re: Talent System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
Making changes will set off a ripple effect that may direct the game towards other styles of play which I don't prefer, be it GURPS or Gamma World (not that the ideas in these games don't have merit, it is just the actual playability that deserves attention, IMO).

So for me, just a few tweaks on things like pole weapons, death, sleep, poisoned sha-ken, etc. etc. would be ideal, along with clarification on DX (faster or easier) and a few other things, but not an overhaul of the talent or weapons or combative system.
Yeah, what you said.

I’d further submit that with a small number of attributes and a 3d6 resolution system, TFT is finely balanced and is very sensitive to changes. Any major system revisions (other than correcting ambiguities, contradictions and glitches), should be carefully playtested first.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:45 AM   #92
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
Any major system revisions (other than correcting ambiguities, contradictions and glitches), should be carefully playtested first.
TY, shout it LOUD from the mountain top, PLEASE!

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 01:31 PM   #93
DrewAstolfi67

Hi, I really like the simplicity and almost diabolical limits on character design that the old talent system set up. I mostly don't like the tweaks to it that are proposed on this thread - while people should house rule to your heart's content, I hope this does not change too drastically.

What I would like are more Talents to choose from. In my dim memory of playing this in the early 80's my friends and I created a number of new talents - I remember a street smarts one - sort of an analog to courtly graces (I was running urban adventures), and we had an investigation I and II for identifying and understanding clues.

We also had GM discretion on heroes leaning a small number of spells or wizards learning a small number of talents - particularly to allow the creation of the wizardly thief. Later we let had a few talents available to wizards at the same cost as heroes - but I am afraid I cannot remember the ones we included in this.
DrewAstolfi67 is offline   Reply With Quote