Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-30-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
Nerun
Banned

Default Orcs [Tolkien Orcs and custom Orcs]

Hi all,

Please comment my custom Orcs bellow. My reference are the Tolkien's Orcs, as described here: http://www.hollywoodjesus.com/lord_o...feature_14.htm. I get the basic orc template in GURPS Banestorm, p.196 and added a few changes.

ORC [-22 points]
“Basic Orc Template”
(GURPS Banestorm, p.196)

Orcs are squat, hairy humanoids with small eyes and broad mouths dominated by enlarged canines; most other races regard them as ugly. Most orcs are brutal and treacherous, and respect only force; whether living as primitive savages or disciplined legionaries, the strongest and most ruthless among them will usually lead.
They enjoy revelry, the spoils of war, and dominating those weaker than themselves.
Orcs return other races’ hostility with interest. Many will gladly sacrifice their own lives for a chance to take a dwarf or elf with them.
Height is 2” less than normal for ST. Weight is 10 lbs. over human average for their height.

Attribute Modifiers: IQ-1 [-20]; HT+2 [20].
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: HP+3 [6].
Advantages: Acute Hearing 2 [4].
Disadvantages: Bully (12) [-10] (reaction -2); Intolerance (Total) [-10] (reaction -1 to -5); Social Stigma (Barbarian) [-10] (reaction -2).
Quirks: Doesn’t regard betrayal as wrong; Kowtows to stronger people; Measures social standing by things “controlled” (Banestorm, p. 165) [-3].
Racial Skills: Brawling (E) DX [1]-10.

Individual orcs, even whole tribes, often have the advantages Acute Vision, Combat Reflexes, High Pain Threshold, Night Vision, or Rapid Healing. Common disadvantages include Bad Temper, Berserk, Gluttony, Greed, Sadism, and Unattractive Appearance (though some orcs manage rugged good looks). However, civilized orcs do not usually have Intolerance and may even lack Bully.

ORCS OF MORDOR [-31 points]
“Default Orc”

Racial Template: Orc [-22].
Disadvantages: Weakness (1d/30min; Very common: sunlight; variable: intensity, -40%) [-9].

ORCS OF MORIA [-30 points]
“Goblins”

Racial Template: Orc [-22].
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: BM+2 [10].
Advantages: Clinging [20]; Super Climbing x3 [9]; Night Vision x5 [5].
Disadvantages: Weakness (1d/5min, -10; Very common: sunlight, x3; variable: intensity, -40%) [-18]; Phobia (heliophobia) [-15].
Racial Skills: Bow (A) DX [1]-9.

SARUMAN’S ORCS [-2 points]
“Uruk-hai” / “Uruks” / “Hobgoblins”

Racial Template: Orc [-12] (they are not Bully).
Attribute Modifiers: ST+1 [10]
Notes: Height and weight are normal for ST, no changes.
Nerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Orcs [Tolkien Orcs and custom Orcs]

You should check out this thread:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...ight=LoTR+Orcs
It covers the Middle-Earth Orc ground pretty throughly. :-)
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
Vaevictis Asmadi

I wouldn't base Middle-Earth orcs on any fantasy template. Make them from scratch, and they'll be far more accurate.

Going from the books, including the considerable amount of material in the History of Middle-Earth books, I'd start with this:

ST+2
DX+2
Night Vision (9)
Appearance (Hideous)(Universal)
Callous
Delusion (elves are even crueller than orcs and will torture you to death or eat you alive if you surrender to them)
Disturbing Voice
Intolerance (Racial)
Phobia (sunlight)(varies)
Phobia (running water and the sea)(varies)
Reputation (sadistic, -2, almost everyone)
Sadism (varies)
Selfish (varies)
Short Lifespan 1
Social Stigma (Monster)
Weakness (sunlight, 1d/30 mins, very common, variable)
Bowlegged
Early Maturation

I'd add racial enemies (Elves and Dwarves), maybe Combat Reflexes, Brawling, Survival, and some weapon skills. Temperature Tolerance, Sharp Teeth, and Extra HP may also be appropriate.
For the orcs of Mordor and Angband, add Duty, Slave Mentality, and Social Stigma (Subjugted).
Acute Hearing and for some "breeds," Acute Taste/Smell, are probably also appropriate.
I would not reduce the racial average IQ. Orcs seem like cunning foes to me, not stupid goons, even when they do have Slave Mentality.

If you want to "personalize" individual orcs, some good options are Bully, Bloodlust, Bad Temper, Berserk, Phobias (who knows what horrors they experience), Greed, Impulsiveness, Jealousy, High Pain Threshhold, Combat Reflexes, Less Sleep, Perfect Balance, Cast-Iron Stomach, or Single-Minded

This is all off the top of my head. There are some lengthly descriptions of the orc "race" as a whole in some of the books.

Remember that orcs in Middle-Earth aren't their own species: they're hideously mutated elves (or humans, nobody's really sure).
Another thing to keep in mind is that being an orc means being raised by orcs, which means first of all, if an orc isn't able-bodied and able to fight hard, they'll probably die, and secondly, they experience abuse and cruelty from their own kind all their lives. They hate everybody, even their own kind, and there really is nothing they actually get enjoyment out of, except cruel brutalization. Any sign of having a conscience is regarded as a flaw and will likely get an orc killed by their fellows.

Last edited by Vaevictis Asmadi; 12-30-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

I like my idea that orc is simply the name given to a particular ethnicity of humans. They are currently warlike and apparently without motive in their regular slave hunts on the the campaign lands.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lotr, racial template