Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 12-07-2009, 01:17 AM   #1
MasterofBalance

Default duck of many things

there are a few things i would like some clarification on (if i can get any).

firstly: i'm confused on the playing rules for "the duck of many things" i mean, it's and item, but it seems like it would be played like a curse i.e. immediately and directed at the person who drew it. so how exactly does that work?

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 12-07-2009 at 01:28 AM.
MasterofBalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:49 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: duck of many things

I don't understand why you think the Duck of Many Things is an Item. It has no gold piece value listed. It is, however, a "special" card, which is covered in the rules:
Quote:
Some Treasure cards are “specials” (like “Go Up A Level”). You may use these at any time, unless the card itself says otherwise. Follow its instructions; then discard it.
The last phrase is redundant for the Duck Of Many Things, but some cards don't give an instruction to discard and are covered by that rule (like GUAL cards).
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
Kirt

The duck is a treasure.
The duck does not have have a gp value listed; therefore, it is not an Item.
Since it is a Treasure but not an Item, it is a "special".
It is not a GUAL; thus it is a non-GUAL special.

Unfortunately, I do not have the text of the duck. But if it does not say when it can be played, we have the problem of "when can a non-GUAL special that does not say when it can be played, be played?"

As far as I can tell, this has not been answered, since the rules seem to contradict the rulings here and here
Kirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:05 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

I love how no one can seem to find the very recent post I made pointing to the post where I reversed that decision and even explained my reason for the reversal. . .
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:35 AM   #5
Kirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
I love how no one can seem to find the very recent post I made pointing to the post where I reversed that decision and even explained my reason for the reversal. . .
I'm sorry, but I thought I had been following this and I haven't seen anything on it, which is why I asked.

The "When can I play. . . (READ THIS NOW!)" sticky post has not been edited since last July and it does not make any mention of non-GUAL specials or even specials in general.

I just did a forum search on any thread where you used the word "special" in the last three months. I got ten threads but none of them seemed relevant.

So, no, I can't seem to find that post and would appreciate your help in that endeavor.
Kirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
maxdemon76

Kirt, I think if you re-read MunchkinMan's post, he says that that phrase about non-GUAL treasure cards is in the rules.
maxdemon76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1/3 breed, assistance, clarification, duck of many things, gothyanki