Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 05:27 AM   #251
schoon

Default Re: Cars Wars 6E - What We Know - 1st Post will be updated over time

I'm torn about doing much in advance.

I'm pretty sure that I'll stick with 1:64 for scale, and just adjust the game components to scale (though I'm going to keep LEGO minifig scale for my FFG Genesis-based RPG).

I suspect the KS will be later in the year - perhaps some news at Origins or GenCon - so not much to do at the moment.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:41 PM   #252
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoon View Post
One of the nice things about H0 scale is that there is usually some resale value in terrain pieces if you don't bash them too much.

If I over-collect on ISO Containers, I can get rid of some easily.

I'm still looking for an economical source for H0 scale Jersey Barriers though.

I don't know what DP a typical Jersey Barrier would have. I think hitting one with a vehicle at high enough speed would mostly just push the barrier around and slow the vehicle somewhat. Much more of a nuisance/hindrance than a barrier.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:54 AM   #253
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
I don't know what DP a typical Jersey Barrier would have. I think hitting one with a vehicle at high enough speed would mostly just push the barrier around and slow the vehicle somewhat. Much more of a nuisance/hindrance than a barrier.
It's about like ramming a reinforced wall...my old man hit one during a DUI a couple months back, they're both tougher than and not as tough as they look...he pushed it out of place, did some damage, but didn't break through. Ultimately, designed for (in CW terms) sideswipes rather than T-bones. Where it gets tough is that they stand up to gunfire pretty well, even if a fully-loaded semi can push them out of the way with little more difficulty than blowing through a roadblock made up of Geo Metros.

If it was me, I'd play with 2.5-3x the DP of a cinderblock wall [or 15-18 DP], and see how that ends up working out...though you are on to something, what if instead of breaching due to a collision, it conforms instead? That preserves the toughness against bullets, and also reflects that they're not permanently mounted in place [usually]...
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
Old 04-30-2018, 11:57 AM   #254
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
They're rebar-reinforced solid concrete ; I'd say (at least for game purposes) a Jersey Barrier would have effectively unlimited DP. Sure, you could sit there for an hour blasting away and reduce it to rocks and twisted steel, but that's outside the scope of normal game play. I figure that hitting it would count as hitting an object the same size as the vehicle for damage purposes, but the barrier will conform to the impact...unless it was semi-permanently mounted, in which case you might as well be smacking into a cliff face.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:39 PM   #255
JimTullis

Depending on how collisions are handled in the 6th edition rules, we may or may not need to know the DP of the Jersey Barriers.

For now, I'm thinking they will be impervious to anything short of a Rocket or Tank Gun, both of which will split the barrier into 2 chunks and free the chunks if the barrier was mounted.

If the scenario calls for linked or mounted barriers they will be low walls, if they are loose, they will conform to the impact.

BUT how much damage will they do?

Sideswiping will be a lot less painful than a T-Bone. Unless the sideswipe pushes one out of position and lets you slam headfirst into the end of the next one.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:42 AM   #256
swordtart

They are design to deflect vehicles rather than total them.

You don't have to use the fixed obstacle rules at all. Use the vehicle vs. vehicle collision rules instead.

Decide on the DM by weight as you would with a car. Apparently they weigh 4-600lb per foot. You could modify the DM up or down if you thought it would be more or less easy to push around than an equivalent weight car (I would probably double it to account for the greater friction).

Then it would conform and if it ended up with residual speed it might even end up sliding (you would expect a significant deceleration per phase due to friction is much higher (compare to a T-Stop).

Then you can decide how many DPs (20+ sounds reasonable, but you could make it effectively infinite as they are apparently very resilient) and the damage it does will be independent of the damage it can withstand.

Frankly I'd be doing something similar with all fixed objects, I like the idea of a news-stand being flung 30 feet in the event of a vehicle collision ;)

Last edited by swordtart; 05-04-2018 at 03:06 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:25 PM   #257
josephrey

Location: on the road!! check out www.chingchingwong.com to see where we currently are. :)

This is a bit of an extreme example... but really cool:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rdVwhMGSscc

I peeped a few other crash vids, and it seems the barrier does not move very much. Perhaps a bit over a meter at the most. A sizable portion of the impact’s energy goes UP, instead of 100% into the barrier.

Also, saw a fresh 6e preview shot on instagram, in case everyone hasn’t seen that yet.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:22 PM   #258
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoon View Post
I suggest not doing anything in advance of the launch. Details can change as development proceeds.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:37 PM   #259
AhabDarab

Does anyone know if Car Wars sixth edition has been canceled?

Ahab out . . .
Old 06-02-2018, 01:09 PM   #260
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhabDarab View Post
Does anyone know if Car Wars sixth edition has been canceled?
Far from it. We've been working on it steadily again for the past few months and have even had some public playtests in and around Austin. If you've been following us on Twitter, you've seen posts like this one talking about our in-house playtesting. (Components are not final; in particular, those cars are placeholders for the plastic pieces we plan to include in the finished game.)

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Closed Thread