Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 03:51 PM   #111
ColBosch

Default Re: Cars Wars 6E - What We Know - 1st Post will be updated over time

I'd much rather a delay than have a product hit market before it's ready.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:54 PM   #112
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephrey View Post
Would we be disappointed when a rushed product comes out? (I'm gonna wager $20 on a big, fat yes.)
*nods* Exactly. It's not like I have a financial stake in the game. I can use my entertainment funds on other things for the time being; it's not like modern Americans like myself lack for people trying to amuse us.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:21 PM   #113
schoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Lewis View Post
Nowhere have we stated that we have stopped working on this project. There was an in-house playtest a week or two ago. There most certainly will be a Car Wars 6th edition.
I'm going to say it again, as it seems that some folks are going high-and-to-the-right on this.

Wait for some official word; then react. Deep breath...
Old 04-15-2017, 12:19 AM   #114
JimTullis

Default Re: Cars Wars 6E - What We Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
Heck, since you don't have any players, it's not like you have anything else to do with your time ;)
OUCH. That's 6-points of Flame-Thrower damage through the rear armor breach and direct to the driver.

Hope I've got a Swerve Card. ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
Sounds like you would be better spending your wait time making your own SHINY BITS.
Anything I made would have to work with Classic Edition Rules, or be tossed out when 6th gets here. The local players who are interested are mostly X-Wing players. Unless I want to scratch build 6th Edition {Driver Cards, Upgrade Cards, and Maneuver Template(s), etc.} on my own I'm mostly out of luck.

Looks like I may have found a Serve Card. Hope nobody has a Debris Card to play. ;)
Old 04-16-2017, 03:01 PM   #115
Blue Ghost

So, I'm a big CW "classic" fan, and always will be. I think a new and different CW game will be kind of cool for younger up and coming duelists.

And on that note, what's the going to be the main thrust of the game? Easy and fast play for the masses? Cooler looking maps?

Curious minds want to know >:)
Old 04-17-2017, 01:19 AM   #116
swordtart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
OUCH. That's 6-points of Flame-Thrower damage through the rear armor breach and direct to the driver.

Hope I've got a Swerve Card. ;)

Anything I made would have to work with Classic Edition Rules, or be tossed out when 6th gets here. The local players who are interested are mostly X-Wing players. Unless I want to scratch build 6th Edition {Driver Cards, Upgrade Cards, and Maneuver Template(s), etc.} on my own I'm mostly out of luck.

Looks like I may have found a Serve Card. Hope nobody has a Debris Card to play. ;)
Or just play a different game. I am sure you could port X-Wing to vehicle combat without too much trouble. Or there are games like Outrider, Road Kill, Wreckage, Dark Future, Atomic Highway, Thunder Road... etc

If CW 6 isn't on the near horizon and SJG are not yet ready to take your money, there are plenty of other ways to get your auto-combat fix.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:47 PM   #117
josephrey

Location: on the road!! check out www.chingchingwong.com to see where we currently are. :)

Quote:
Anything I made would have to work with Classic Edition Rules, or be tossed out when 6th gets here.
I don't necessarily think so. Can't the Shiny Bits can be more generalized? A car is a car is a car, it doesn't need to be a specific design, with specific weapons, does it? If you have some cars, some dropped weapons, why can't that be enough to play?

I must admit, though, that I'm coming from the complete opposite end of the typical demographic as far as buying figures and models. I've always been happy playing with literally whatever when it comes to playing pieces. Don't have enough rad, painted figures for everyone in a D&D game? That's cool, I'll be a penny or a lugnut or a chess piece. Won't change the game for me.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:51 PM   #118
josephrey

Location: on the road!! check out www.chingchingwong.com to see where we currently are. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
So, I'm a big CW "classic" fan, and always will be. I think a new and different CW game will be kind of cool for younger up and coming duelists.

And on that note, what's the going to be the main thrust of the game? Easy and fast play for the masses? Cooler looking maps?
It'd be rad if 6th Edition became the flashier and quicker introduction to the CW world for new players. If they're really into it and want more detail one could always introduce them to the "PRO Rules," aka CW2.5.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:21 AM   #119
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephrey View Post
I don't necessarily think so. Can't the Shiny Bits can be more generalized? A car is a car is a car, it doesn't need to be a specific design, with specific weapons, does it? If you have some cars, some dropped weapons, why can't that be enough to play?

I must admit, though, that I'm coming from the complete opposite end of the typical demographic as far as buying figures and models. I've always been happy playing with literally whatever when it comes to playing pieces. Don't have enough rad, painted figures for everyone in a D&D game? That's cool, I'll be a penny or a lugnut or a chess piece. Won't change the game for me.
I loved playing Classic Car Wars with the paper cars. The newest printing felt Swank to me, since the cars are now decent cardstock. I've always played Car Wars with more imagination than toys.

BUT, I can't get anyone else local to play like that. Bowling Green has 2 big games. MTG and 40K. We've had a small amount of success with X-Wing, about 10 players.

Some of the X-Wing players are vaguely interested in CW 6th ed. But they have no interest in Classic (I can't even give copies away). OR in any of the other vehicle combat games like Outrider, etc. I've tried to get stuff going but can't get people interested.

When 6th hits Kickstarter, I think I've got 2 local players who will pick up some for themselves. I'm going to have to do the bulk of the buying, so that I can loan and give away some stuff to get a group started.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:13 PM   #120
kjamma4

Quote:
I've always played Car Wars with more imagination than toys.

Bowling Green has 2 big games. ... 40K. We've had a small amount of success with X-Wing, about 10 players.

Some of the X-Wing players are vaguely interested in CW 6th ed.
It sounds like your crowd will not be impressed with cardboard. Hot Wheels are cheap and I've never failed to see someone stop when I've been involved in a game with them.
Closed Thread