Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-28-2015, 11:55 AM   #1
brianfb

Default daredevil advantage.

Why does this thing cost 15 points?
Old 07-28-2015, 12:46 PM   #2
Humabout

Default Re: daredevil advantage.

...Why not?

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:55 PM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The +1 is minor. It's unlimited critical failure rerolls that are the real boon.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:01 PM   #4
brianfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The +1 is minor. It's unlimited critical failure rerolls that are the real boon.
Yeah but...
1. Its hard to use, what's an unreasonable risk for a dark fantasy character? Melee? Or 3 to 1 odds? What if they are goblins?
2. It has a built in drawback. You need to be taking over and above risks to use it.
3. Crit failures are hard to roll.
4. No way does this compare to other 15 pointers like combat reflexes or high pain threshold.

Figured I am missing something because it sounds like it should be much cheaper.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:13 PM   #5
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianfb View Post
Yeah but...
1. Its hard to use, what's an unreasonable risk for a dark fantasy character? Melee? Or 3 to 1 odds? What if they are goblins?
2. It has a built in drawback. You need to be taking over and above risks to use it.
4. No way does this compare to other 15 pointers like combat reflexes or high pain threshold.

Figured I am missing something because it sounds like it should be much cheaper.
1. I think what is an unreasonable risk is setting and campaign dependent.
Melee combat for an accountant in a modern setting with no combat skills? Unreasonable risk. Melee combat for a dark fantasy Fighter? part of the job. It doesn't seem hard to use. It seems to be the same level of adjudication as deciding what sort of situational modifiers to use on a roll.
2. I think this Advantage is best used for those characters who are going to be taking those risks anyway. There are characters who always charge into battle without planning, who always try to taunt the dragon, etc. Those character have no drawback in taking this advantage because it is already part of their character...but the positive aspect to Daredevil is that it isn't a Disadvantage. If it were a disadvantage, they would *have* to act recklessly even if they didn't want to. As an Advantage, they can act as recklessly as they like with an added bonus, but not when they don't want to.
3. If you are taking extra risks, you are probably also racking up extra penalties...which makes critical failures more likely. So that part is extra nice.
4. It is a different sort of Advantage. It also applies to non-combat rolls in ways that Combat Reflexes does't. Daredevil can apply to *any* skill roll that involves an unreasonable risk. So...combat? Okay. But also Driving Rolls, Fast-Talk Rolls, Chemistry Rolls, ...anything!
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:22 PM   #6
Mailanka

Quote:
Yeah but...
If an adventurer isn't taking risks, he has no business being an adventurer. That said, this is a foolish advantage for a character in a Horror game to take, but practically a must-have for a swashbuckler.

Quote:
This seems tied to the last, and it really depends on your GM, doesn't it? If he demands suicidal actions, then I wouldn't take it, obviously. But in my experience, most GMs will judge an unnecessary risk that presents real danger to a character as sufficient. For example, taking on risky odds ("I'll take on three of the orcs by myself to buy the rest some time!")

Quote:
And they REALLY suck when they come up, and also, since they're hard to roll, they're unlikey to come up twice in a row. Arguably, the whole point of Luck is to get rid of critical failures. Daredevil is a form of specialized luck )(which also costs 15 points) that also grants a bonus +1 and grants those rerolls whenever a critical failure comes up, rather than once per hour.

Quote:
HPT is 10, not 15. Combat Reflexes is deliberately low in cost. Compare it to Luck or Higher Purpose instead.
Figured I am missing something because it sounds like it should be much cheaper.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-28-2015, 01:23 PM   #7
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

It's not unreasonable risk, it's unnecessary risk. Even if your enemy has a low chance of hurting you, it's still an unnecessary risk if you are exposing yourself to danger you don't need to. In any fight where you would actually care about getting the +1, you can get it if you put yourself in the way of more harm than you need to. It doesn't necessarily mean you have to be facing an enemy who is stronger than you. It doesn't even mean that your tactics have to be bad; you can act as the 'tank' of the party, deliberately putting yourself in front of the most dangerous enemies and drawing as much fire as possible to protect other members of your group.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:27 PM   #8
martinl

Quote:
Yeah but...
2. It is intended for PCs who will be doing that anyway.
3. Daredevils are very likely to take actions where crit fails mean death, and death only needs to happen once to axe the PC in many settings.
4. Combat Reflexes is a deliberate point crock, and HPT is very situational. I'd say this is quite reasonable compared to "average" 15 point ads.

The general idea in GURPS is to make modeling most fictional hero archetypes easy. Daredevil makes it easier to model heroes who are gratuitous risk takers without requiring the player to be on "Raphael IV" by the sixth session of the game.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #9
brianfb

Thanks,the luck comparison cleared it up for me. :)
Old 07-28-2015, 01:31 PM   #10
whswhs

Quote:
Yeah but...
This is just a GM judgment call. I make those all the time. If you look at reaction rolls, they're full of modifiers that require GM judgment, for example.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
daredevil