Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-13-2015, 10:29 AM   #1
Engurrand

Default Dodging Bullets

IIRC, Gurps standard rules indicate that if you can see your attacker you can (usually) attempt a dodge.

But, the GM I usually play with has been using some different rules for dodging bullets for so long that I no longer remember if they're house-rules or from some supplement somewhere. Probably some of both. I hope the hive can set me straight as to which parts are what or from where?

1) Dodging bullets is done by watching where the shooter has the barrel pointed and attempting to not be there. You can only do this for one shooter at a time, because you can only accurately watch one shooter at a time. You must designate which shooter you're watching on your action (not on your defensive action). So on your turn you have to choose which shooter you're going to attempt to dodge, and that's where you're looking this second.

2) You can roll a dodge once, on your turn, as what we've been calling an 'evade' (which I'm sure is wrong). Your margin of success on that dodge applies as a penalty against the gun skill of anyone trying to shoot you in that second. I believe this is only possible if you're moving more than a step, i.e. as part of an all-out dodge, a move-and-attack or a move. Your 'evade' dodge can be your acrobatics dodge and/or your dodge-and-drop.

This combination of rules has always felt pretty good to me - providing a balance of cinema and high-risk. But, I'd love to find where the rules are actually published, or know for sure if they're made up.

Thanks much.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:32 AM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Dodging Bullets

They're made up. RAW lets you dodge any number of times, modified by the visibility of the attacker.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:42 AM   #3
Engurrand

Thanks for the reply! I'm aware of the basic set rules, but I have vague memories of an optional rule in a box somewhere making suggestions for more 'realistic' dodging of shooters. Maybe a pyramid article. Maybe I'm crazy.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:46 AM   #4
Edges

Restricted Dodge Against Firearms

GURPS Tactical Shooting pg. 17

EDIT: As for your part 2, that sounds like a house rule.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:50 AM   #5
Mr_Sandman

The article Dodge This in Pyramid #3/57: Gunplay also had some optional rules for dodges against firearms.
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:51 AM   #6
Varyon

Rule 1 is from Tactical Shooting, p.17 (or possibly elsewhere; I think Martial Arts may have had a rule like this as well). Rule 2 is something that has been discussed on the forums in the past, but I don't think it's ever seen print - the closest I'm aware of is the Evasive variant of Move and Attack from Pyramid #3/57 (from Douglas Cole's Dodge This! article).
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
clarification, dodge, houserules