Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 06:21 AM   #11
MIB2826

Default Re: Munchkin Dice Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deruji
As far as I can remember paying for a replacement is entirely legal isn't it? Especially if you ask the company that makes the product, and seeing that the other rules are available here to download it was a natural assumption to assume that I would be able to find the dice rules as well.

Besides, I had lost the insert with the rules and was NOT asking for the cards or the dice, since I still have those.

I can explain the difference between the rules which are posted (Munchkin) and the rules which are not posted (Munchkin Dice).

If you print the rules of Munchkin your still cannot use them without the product itself.

If you print the rules for Munchkin Dice you *can* use them without the product itself (just combine with normal D10s). Therefore the rules are to stimulate people into buying the product.

Of course, I can imagine your frustration when you lose then as you basically lost the use of Munchkin Dice.

On the other hand reproducing the rules is strictly prohibited by the copyright laws. I believe that asking others to reproduce them for you, without proper authorization, is also frowned upon.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:30 AM   #12
Gawain

Quote:
As far as I can remember paying for a replacement is entirely legal isn't it? Especially if you ask the company that makes the product
What do you mean "especially" if you ask the company? You're implying that it's ok to buy replacement stuff from others, wich of course it's not. Distributing copyrighted material is illegal in itself. Charging money for it is even worse.

As for the "other rules" allready being posted, MIB2826 explained that quite well, also Erik and others have answered that Q several times now. You might also note that it's usually only the basic sets that have the rules posted, not the expansions (allthough I see some of the older ones have crept up there now, like Clown Wars).
Old 03-23-2006, 07:48 AM   #13
Hobbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawain
What do you mean "especially" if you ask the company? You're implying that it's ok to buy replacement stuff from others, wich of course it's not. Distributing copyrighted material is illegal in itself. Charging money for it is even worse.
No, it is entirely legal to purchase copyrighted material, whether you buy it from the company that produces it or buy it used private party. Deruji is completely within his rights to ask to buy a replacement insert from SJG or any of us, if we're willing to sell our copy.

If you're talking about buying unauthorized reproductions of the insert then your statement makes sense, but that's clearly not what Deruji asked.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:33 PM   #14
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deruji
As far as I can remember paying for a replacement is entirely legal isn't it? Especially if you ask the company that makes the product, and seeing that the other rules are available here to download it was a natural assumption to assume that I would be able to find the dice rules as well.

Besides, I had lost the insert with the rules and was NOT asking for the cards or the dice, since I still have those.
I've read the response you received and, well, they're telling you clearly: We have no extra copies to give or sell you; if we were to do so leaves us with an unsellable unit.

I've already answered why it's not for download, which has now been repeated by others, so I'll let that go.

Finally: If someone were to give you his insert, that's fine. I believe it is technically within his fair use rights to give you his insert. It is also within his rights to make copies of the insert for his own personal use as long as he maintains possession of the original. It is not within his rights to make copies of his insert and give them away or sell them, nor is it within his rights to make a copy of the insert and then give you the original.

I have 4 sets of dice, I don't need all 4 copies of the rules insert and I can make copies for my own personal use since I will maintain possesion of a copy. PM me your address and then we can end this thread. . .
MiB #1029
Old 03-23-2006, 11:00 PM   #15
Gawain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes
No, it is entirely legal to purchase copyrighted material, whether you buy it from the company that produces it or buy it used private party. Deruji is completely within his rights to ask to buy a replacement insert from SJG or any of us, if we're willing to sell our copy.

If you're talking about buying unauthorized reproductions of the insert then your statement makes sense, but that's clearly not what Deruji asked.
Why don't you just read what he said instead of guessing that he wanted to buy a new copy:
Quote:
Would someone maybe be so kind to write me a PM with the result table?
Now tell me that would be legal!
Old 03-24-2006, 08:19 AM   #16
Hobbes

The OP came to the official website, asked questions, contacted Warehouse 23, and has gone through the rest of the proper channels. I don’t think s/he deserves to be treated like a criminal because s/he wants to play and enjoy the product.

Anyhow, the issue is resolved now thanks to MM and his extra insert.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:16 AM   #17
Gryphon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB2826
I can explain the difference between the rules which are posted (Munchkin) and the rules which are not posted (Munchkin Dice).

If you print the rules of Munchkin your still cannot use them without the product itself.

If you print the rules for Munchkin Dice you *can* use them without the product itself (just combine with normal D10s). Therefore the rules are to stimulate people into buying the product.
Excuse me, but why is that? There is the last result in the table that will be, if dice run the *munchkin head*, wich replaces the normal dice's zero. So how this table may be applied to the game with normal D10s?

SJG MIB # 2810
Old 05-09-2009, 04:46 AM   #18
Lolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon
Excuse me, but why is that? There is the last result in the table that will be, if dice run the *munchkin head*, wich replaces the normal dice's zero. So how this table may be applied to the game with normal D10s?
Is it really a problem for you to make an agreement with your friends that 0 = Munchkin Head?
Old 05-09-2009, 04:53 AM   #19
Gryphon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly
Is it really a problem for you to make an agreement with your friends that 0 = Munchkin Head?
Oh, I see now) Thanks)

2All
It was really stupid of me, sorry :-[

SJG MIB # 2810
Old 01-10-2011, 02:01 AM   #20
ReverendSmeg

Bump!

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but this is the result which comes up via the googles. I have the same issue as the OP.

So, since this product is out of print, and one *cannot* replace the dice (which, incidentally, I'd be willing to do) by purchasing them, is there an update on the posting of the table anywhere? Perhaps as a low-cost PDF on e23? I'd pay a couple bucks to be able to use my dice again.
Closed Thread