Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-04-2012, 02:44 AM   #1
Ji ji

Default early double barrel rifle and smoothbores

I'm creating an NPC hunter for a one-shot in TL4.
Looking on LT, I found only a double barrel muzzleloader, the jaeger rifle. It's a medium caliber rifle and weights 20 pounds. It lacks any example of double barrel smoothbore. By a search on the web I found double barrel flintlock back to first half of 18th century, but they lack infos on weight and caliber.
So I wonder if someone has more detailed infos.

- were they ever build double barrel matchlocks?
- i was thinking of a double-barrel caliver or fusil de chasse (matchlock or flintlock), because many hunter preferred smoothbores (easier to reload on field condition), shooting at max 50 yards. Considering the single barrel version weight (6.5-6.6 lbs), should be correct a 11.5 weight for double barrel version?
Ji ji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: early double barrel rifle and smoothbores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ji ji View Post
I I found By a search on the web I found double barrel flintlock back to first half of 18th century,
Remember that the TL4/5 line is 1730.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
Ji ji

I use this thread instead of opening a new one to put another question (I haven't previously played with muzzleloaders).
What penalty would you asses for realoading a muzzleloader when walking or running? I found rules and penalties for riding and non-standing reloading, but not for those former situation - which seems to me potentially common, in play.
Ji ji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ji ji View Post
What penalty would you asses for realoading a muzzleloader when walking or running? I found rules and penalties for riding and non-standing reloading, but not for those former situation - which seems to me potentially common, in play.
My guess would be that you can't do it with a long arm. The motion of your legs is likely to be too disruptive to holding the thing steady while you pour powder down the barrel, not to mention pushing the ball after it.

If you really want to say "you can do it, but at a penalty," conceivably the weapon's Bulk might be a suitable penalty for reloading while walking.

I say this subject to correction from anyone who has actually used muzzleloaders. But it seems to me that all that elaborate infantry drill in the 17th and 18th centuries, where you had to stand in place while you readied another shot, wouldn't have taken place if it weren't needed to get a decent rate of fire.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote