Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:30 AM   #31
Knockman

Default Re: Can Kickstarter revive Ogre minis?

I'd definitely buy them. Because getting the boardgame bits always ended up in a marathon bidding contest on E-Bay and the like, I switched to minis (and the Ogre Miniatures rules) several years ago. It's always been a shame that some of the 'iconic' miniatures (not just the Ogres but GEVs, Superheavies, etc.,) are so hard to get hold of. Perhaps I'm spoilt here in the UK because we have such a good set-up for casting - an owner of a range when he's had enough can nearly always find a buyer/caster to carry on producing the figures.

I have backed the KS, but only at the lower levels, not enough for my own copy of the game. Then later, we got the news that there would be a UK supply so that's good news. And I've been watching the Updates & Stretch Goals, and this comment about the minis is really really welcome.

But - and maybe it's because I'm a minis wargamer - I still haven't committed to pledging for a copy, as I want flat one-hex Ogre counters, and not the 3-D models. If flat one-hex Ogres get included in the box, or will be made available at W23, I'm in - and the first person to PM me with the correct postal address of the best haggismaker in Scotland will get a very good deal* in taking all my 3-D Ogre models off me!

So, a bit of a dilemma - pledge and hope, or hold on for another Update - and hope $450K target is reached regardless.....
Knockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:17 AM   #32
Stabliser

Best haggis in scotland!? I hear the numbers were low this year for haggis shooting season. You might be lucky to get haggis at all ...

Last edited by Stabliser; 05-01-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Stabliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:24 AM   #33
Talorien
Former Ogre Line Editor

Anyone have Mark I, II, IV, VI or Dopp for trade? I have Mark IIIs and Vs...

PM me if interested (I'm in the UK)
Talorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #34
Bowser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I agree with Buzzardo on this one. I've never, ever, purchased a mini in my life for anything. But in this case, I'd make an exception, probably in a big way. If SJGs is going to do this, then I want to make sure I do my part to help them avoid the problems they experienced last time. Besides, I'd have Christmas Presents taken care of for a decade for my friends who do like them! :-)
Yeah, minis aren't a big thing with me, although I did buy a Mark V and an Ogrethulu about ten years back. Still in their boxes, unassembled, unpainted.

Sheesh! Back in the late 70s, it took more than six months just for me to paint 5 or 6 D&D player figures! I can't imagine looking at 100 different minis to assemble and paint.

Having said that, I'd like to "throw a bone" to the minis folks. Ogre Miniatures kept Ogre alive during the 1990s when the board game wasn't such a big deal. Gotta respect that!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #35
jfleisher

I'm hoping the miniatures are rereleased. I know of many Ogre fans who missed out on them, and are looking to purchase them again.

As the owner of a fairly large OM collection myself (46 Ogres of various types, over 1200 vehicles, and numerous infantry), I am still missing some key units, like the missile crawler, and would like to see the line completed. I don't really care if they are made of pot metal, resin, plastic, or an osmium-iridium alloy that will still be around in a million years. I would like them to be available and affordable.

My Ogre Miniatures Blog: http://ogreminiatures.blogspot.com
jfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #36
Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfleisher View Post
or an osmium-iridium alloy that will still be around in a million years.
Stretch target at $600k?

Graham
Old 05-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #37
jfleisher

Actually I'd like them to create a stretch target of having Ogre 6e being played by Sheldon and the gang on Big Bang Theory...

My Ogre Miniatures Blog: http://ogreminiatures.blogspot.com
jfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #38
Stabliser

Quote:
Actually I'd like them to create a stretch target of having Ogre 6e being played by Sheldon and the gang on Big Bang Theory...
A whole episode of Sheldon trying to get Steve Jacksons autograph on his new 6th ed rules, that or getting thrashed by Penny in the first game played with the new edition.
Stabliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #39
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabliser View Post
A whole episode of Sheldon trying to get Steve Jacksons autograph on his new 6th ed rules, that or getting thrashed by Penny in the first game played with the new edition.
I believe that sort of product placement may cost a bit more than SJG can afford unless the BBT writers/etc are fans of SJG's/Ogre already.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #40
GEVJockey

When the minis first came out, I told my wife that spending over $100 to get Deluxe Ogre and Deluxe GEV was crazy, who'd want to do that? But, maybe it would be cool to have a Mark III and Mark V on my desk. Then the FLGS near my in-laws in Knoxville had an after Christmas sale, so I picked up Deluxe Ogre, since it would be cool to have a few other units, too. Long story short, I've got 17 Ogres, and over 500 points each of Combine and PanEuro units.

The only figure I don't have is a Ninja (or at least I can't find it). I ordered one and got a Mark V shipped in error and the problem wasn't resolved before the Ninja went out of stock. So for completeness, I'd like to get a Ninja. Besides, who'd want to increase the size of their army. Oh, wait. I've gone down this road before...

Quote:
I'd watch TV to see that. Might as well proclaim our nerdiness for all to see.
GEVJockey is offline   Reply With Quote