Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #41
emillang1000

Default Re: Munchkin Game Changer

I kinda like the design of this product a little better than Holiday Surprise.

That being said, I probably won't get this one; so why do I like it better? 'Cause it gives newer players access to the old "variant" boosters without too much else "new" that older players would really want.

That... may sound a little backwards, but I'll elaborate:

I already have all 4 of the packs featured in GC, Fairy Dust Dice, and probably all 4 of the other "SJGames-exclusive" cards (which I imagine Fairy Dust-Up is one of). The only NEW stuff is the Level Counters, and my group uses the Board with Pawns & Babes., so we don't use Level Counters.

This, is, of course, in contrast to Holiday Surprise, which has a new Kill-O-Meter (which we DO use - 2 of, in fact), brand-new Red and Green Munchkin d6s, and 4 new cards unique to HS.

All that stuff's great, and I DID buy HS, but it was kinda bittersweet because I'd already bought the three previous Holiday packs over the past few years. The only thing that really made it worthwhile for me to pick HS up was the fact that I hadn't already bought Naughty & Nice (I think the total effective value then was $13 worth of stuff, including N&N, that I didn't have, and with a 40% off coupon I actually paid about that much at B&N).

So, in comparison, GC doesn't seem to "favor" newer players as much as HS did, but it still allows newer players access to pretty much everything older players have already had for a while. I kinda think is a good design all-around.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #42
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by emillang1000 View Post
This, is, of course, in contrast to Holiday Surprise, which has a new Kill-O-Meter (which we DO use - 2 of, in fact), brand-new Red and Green Munchkin d6s, and 4 new cards unique to HS.
Despite what it says in the blurb on the back of the box, we've been told from the start that the 4 'new' cards are set to appear in a 2013 expansion. So it's more like an early access to them rather than exclusivity.

The Kill-O-Meter is still a tempting addition, but I'm happy to live without it, so I have no desire to get Holiday Surprise, as I know I can or will be able to get all the cards it comes with.

Game Changer is a different thing entirely for me. If some of the added cards are reprints of the older promos which are no longer shipping from W23, I'll probably be forced to pick it up, despite owning the other 64 cards already, as I can't see any easier way of getting those cards.

Last edited by Clipper; 01-24-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #43
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Game Changer is a different thing entirely for me. If some of the added cards are reprints of the older promos which are no longer shipping from W23, I'll probably be forced to pick it up, despite owning the other 64 cards already, as I can't see any easier way of getting those cards.
I assume you've checked in the Trading Post forum?

The only way reprints of old promos would entice ME, personally, would be if they were of any of the three "retired" Fantasy promos. Which seems VERY unlikely. Other than those, or Heart of the Anomaly, it seems like there are people that have them for trade or sale (though there are a lot of older Cthulhu ones that I haven't paid attention to, so some of those might be equally as hard to find- but even more unlikely to show up in a product geared toward Fantasy Munchkin).
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #44
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Despite what it says in the blurb on the back of the box, we've been told from the start that the 4 'new' cards are set to appear in a 2013 Booster.
That is not, in fact, what has been said. Please be very careful in presenting statements as fact when they are merely your recollection.

Also: the retired promos are RETIRED. We will not be re-releasing them in any form.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #45
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Also: the retired promos are RETIRED. We will not be re-releasing them in any form.
Yeah, I figured. Ah well.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #46
emillang1000

Quote:
That's probably for the best. Some of 'em are a liiiiiiiittle expensive (like $50+) and I think people who have 'em might be upset if their rare promos were suddenly... NOT so rare.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #47
Mister Ed

Quote:
That's probably for the best. Some of 'em are a liiiiiiiittle expensive (like $50+) and I think people who have 'em might be upset if their rare promos were suddenly... NOT so rare.
I doubt THAT'S what's keeping them from reprinting them. I don't get the feeling that the folks at SJGames are too fussed about maintaining collector value on promos they gave out free. To my mind, that very issue is the best argument there is FOR reprinting them. ;-)

Not that it's going to happen. Andrew was clear on that score.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #48
Clipper

Quote:
That is not, in fact, what has been said. Please be very careful in presenting statements as fact when they are merely your recollection.
I'm kind of confused. I just went and checked the Google Hangout again, and you said:

"Four cards that are designed for an expansion that's coming out next year are appearing in this set for the first time."

I can see one key difference between your statement and mine (booster vs. expansion), and if that is the error I made, I'm really happy to be wrong. Your tone does suggest otherwise, so if that was not my error, could you please explain how I have misunderstood you?

I'm sorry to have to ask, but that statement you made is the only reason I didn't pick up Holiday Surprise, so I really need to know if I have misinterpreted it.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #49
emillang1000

I think the confusion comes from here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bampop View Post
He also mentioned 4 new cards that will be a part of a 2013 accessory.
Bam relayed, as a secondary source, what Andrew said on a podcast (though the total accuracy can't be completely verified without a copy of the 'cast itself), and Andrew kinda-sorta confirmed it. "Confirmed" as in Andrew said:

Quote:
The Kill-O-Meter is exclusive to Holiday Surprise. The other components have been or will be available elsewhere.
As to what "elsewhere" entails is up for debate until more details arise; at the moment, it just means that the 4 new cards from HS will be obtainable in some form OTHER than HS itself.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #50
Clipper

Quote:
though the total accuracy can't be completely verified without a copy of the 'cast itself
The cast is available here (click play on the Hangout video). I went back to check it in order to get the quote in my post above (which appears at 5:44).

And yeah, I apologise for saying "booster" as that was certainly an error in terminology on my part. The way Andrew responded makes me think I've made a much larger error, though.