Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #71
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Call for Playtesters: GURPS Low-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
You are aware for example, that there are some low priced PDF authoring programs that permit you to import entire pdf files to merge with existing PDF files?
This is certainly true, but such a product wouldn't be to SJGames' production standards. That's the reason generally given when this sort of merged book is proposed, whether for this, Dungeon Fantasy, Spaceships, or whatever.
For the book to be something SJGames wants to attach their name to, it would require extensive layout changes (they wouldn't want multiple title pages or tables of contents or indexes, for example), and it would require textual changes like going through and adjusting all the page number references.
Of course, everyone can say that of course they don't care about that sort of thing, they'd be happy with the simple merged PDF. The problem is, that's not representative. And even if a majority of buyers would be happy with a simple merged PDF, there would inevitably be a vocal minority who complained about the shoddy production values and spread reports of SJGames being a less-than-careful company.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #72
capnq

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
The way I'm envisioning this, we could have a 3000+ pages GURPS Basic Set containing just all. I wouldn't be displeased! A really thick textbook format would be required, though.
That sounds more viable as a multi-volume Encyclopedia GURPSiana that ships one volume per month until you have the complete set.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. -- Mark Twain
capnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:17 AM   #73
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnq View Post
That sounds more viable as a multi-volume Encyclopedia GURPSiana that ships one volume per month until you have the complete set.
Hey, yeah! And, to make sure that every volume is useful, we might as well organize the rules by category, so you get all the cross-references in one volume. We could devote one volume to combat rules, one on rules for supernatural powers, one for gear... Hmm. Sounding familiar, here. Perhaps some other game company has done something similar? ;-)
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:28 AM   #74
Rasputin

Quote:
Thinking only in myself, then I would definitely prefer a thicker, single 4e Low Tech volume. But surely there are really strong reasons for that "multipart" treatment of the product, as "the murderous costs associated with long hardbacks these days" (Sean).
I also assume the margins are better. I'm not begrudging SJG from trying to make money -- far from it -- but I should point out:
  • Smaller books cost less to ship.
  • Short PDFs make much more per page than do hardcover books.
  • Books are not cheap to make.
  • Low-Tech has a number of different audiences anyways. You have historical realism folks, you have folks just looking for more weapons and armor (and lower weights). You have folks who only care at gaming at specific Tech Levels, especially TL 3. You have folks who are looking to use this for fantasy games, as opposed to most folks with High-Tech, who are running games on a semi-realistic Earth. Having the core book go to all of them and the smaller PDFs go to the target audiences satisfies everyone.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:36 AM   #75
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen
Hey, yeah! And, to make sure that every volume is useful, we might as well organize the rules by category, so you get all the cross-references in one volume. We could devote one volume to combat rules, one on rules for supernatural powers, one for gear... Hmm. Sounding familiar, here. Perhaps some other game company has done something similar? ;-)
<ducks as the point flies overhead> Hey! Watch where you aim that thing! >:( ;)

Hmm... GURPS on a subscription basis... I'd buy that.
*halo*
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:38 AM   #76
walkir

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72 View Post
Same for related Tech volumes. It's got it all, it's all organized and cross referenced and you don't have to switch pdf files to get from one bit to the closely related bits you are looking for.
if this means the changes from TL 8 to 9 (and most probably 4 to 5) will get a new treatment, I'm all for it. At the moment there's stuff only found in HT not followed on in UT (surprise, HT is newer...), which (clothing weight, change from batteries to power cells...) would be fine to have in late TL 8 / early TL 9 society 8as IIRC infinite worlds is)...

If it's just copy&paste for the books, I don't think that's useful.
walkir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #77
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
(...) One minute was all it took. PDF authoring software can do some pretty nifty stuff.
Just now, I only know the old Adobe Writer, and Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro. Anyone here could recommend some specific good (not necessarily expensive!) PDF authoring software?
Thxs.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #78
Bruno

Quote:
Just now, I only know the old Adobe Writer, and Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro. Anyone here could recommend some specific good (not necessarily expensive!) PDF authoring software?
Thxs.
CutePDF, PDFCreator, Foxit...
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:02 AM   #79
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
CutePDF, PDFCreator, Foxit...
I was using PDFCreator, but seemingly not aware of its PDF authoring capabilities. Thank you.

And of course, it goes without saying my question was completely in line with the thread's topic!

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabaret chicks on ice, low-tech