Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-18-2009, 11:01 PM   #61
capnq

Default Re: [OT] Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
Man, I remember reading that when I was in high school. Lotsa great stories in that Hall of Fame collection. Hmm.. maybe I should see about getting the series.
I don't remember when I read it, but I recognized the reference before I even followed the link to check what the title was.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. -- Mark Twain
capnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #62
benz72

Default Re: Call for Playtesters: GURPS Low-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company
I think the plan is to release the companions at the same time as the core volume, so the prospective delay probably would not be materially different. They're certainly being written and playtested together.

At any rate, it's not like there's going to be less low-tech stuff than, say, Martial Arts or Thaumatology (core book looks to be 160 pages, companions 30-40 each). It's just going to be packaged in a more modular fashion. The core volume, which is mostly a catalog of gear more or less useful for adventuring, will be useful for everybody involved in low-tech games, while the companions will be more useful for GMs and tinkerers.
It's too bad there isn't a way, through the magic of pdf editing, to have something like "The Complete Integrated Book of GURPS Magic" with Magic, Thaum, Magical Styles, etc... all packaged together with a single index.

Same for related Tech volumes. It's got it all, it's all organized and cross referenced and you don't have to switch pdf files to get from one bit to the closely related bits you are looking for.

Oh well, dare to dream.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:12 AM   #63
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72
It's too bad there isn't a way, through the magic of pdf editing, to have something like "The Complete Integrated Book of GURPS Magic" with Magic, Thaum, Magical Styles, etc... all packaged together with a single index.

Same for related Tech volumes. It's got it all, it's all organized and cross referenced and you don't have to switch pdf files to get from one bit to the closely related bits you are looking for.

Oh well, dare to dream.
And an integration of combat rules from Basic and MA.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:34 AM   #64
benz72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23
Hell yeah!

I suppose some kind of uber-gestalt plug in pdf. where it just takes every book/supplement you own and organizes it all into a nice neat well cross referenced document with good hyperlinks and an exhaustive index is the stuff of pure fantasy though.

Dare to dream.

ohh... now that I think about it... if the hyperlink points to a document you don't own it could divert you to e-23 and ask you if you want to buy the rules for the low low price of... whatever.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:56 AM   #65
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72 View Post
something like "The Complete Integrated Book of GURPS Magic" with Magic, Thaum, Magical Styles, etc... all packaged together with a single index. (...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Something like that would be great. I'm with you and benz72... dreaming, I guess :^)

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:28 AM   #66
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
Something like that would be great. I'm with you and benz72... dreaming, I guess :^)
Dream big. To keep it somewhat topical: I'm dreaming about Low-Tech, the Low-Tech Companions, and High-Tech, all bound together :)
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:43 AM   #67
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
(...) all bound together :)
The way I'm envisioning this, we could have a 3000+ pages GURPS Basic Set containing just all. I wouldn't be displeased! A really thick textbook format would be required, though.

I'm half-joking...

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #68
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane
The way I'm envisioning this, we could have a 3000+ pages GURPS Basic Set containing just all.I'm half-joking...
Could be a stand-up routine in there:
When your Index has to be published separately... your book might be too big ;)
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #69
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Dream big. To keep it somewhat topical: I'm dreaming about Low-Tech, the Low-Tech Companions, and High-Tech, all bound together :)
You are aware for example, that there are some low priced PDF authoring programs that permit you to import entire pdf files to merge with existing PDF files?

For example, I could right here, and right now, take GURPS CHARACTERS and GURPS CAMPAIGNS, and combine them into a single PDF, remove unwanted cover pages, so that the entire PDF goes from page 1 on up to the last page of GURPS CAMPAIGNS as a single "volume". I could then append GURPS MARTIAL ARTS to that same PDF, such that it has GURPS CHARACTERS, GURPS CAMPAIGNS, and GURPS MARTIAL ARTS all as a single PDF.

This isn't all that difficult to achieve...

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:18 PM   #70
hal

Oh, I almost forgot. I sent in a copy of the "cleaned up" time use character sheet and NPC sheet sans the information that was published in the GURPS rules book on Dai Blackthorn or what ever. It took me about 1 minute to scrub the data off the NPC sheet. I sent that PDF to Kromm saying that someone asked for it, and I thought I would make it available quickly.

One minute was all it took. PDF authoring software can do some pretty nifty stuff. Even the simple Adobe reader allows you to cut and paste material such that if you wanted to alter spell descriptions from GURPS MAGIC to more reflect your desires for your campaign - you could use it to modify spells and tell your players "This is how the spell description works in my campaign world" and let them read the revised entry. Neat stuff when you get right down to it :)

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabaret chicks on ice, low-tech