Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-12-2016, 08:12 PM   #1
DAT

Default Help Brainstorming a Fae Races w/ Flight & Magic Fantasy RPG Setting: Alfheim

Hi Folks,
Having recently watched the first season of the “Sword Art Online” (SAO) anime series, I became interested in the idea of using the “ALfheim Online ” (ALO) setting (from the end of the first season of SAO) as inspiration for a GURPS RPG setting.

For those who haven’t seen/read about SAO/ALO, the idea is that in the future they develop full immersion Virtual Reality MMORPGs, and AFO is one of the game settings. The ALO setting is a realm of fae, where player avatars are different races of winged fairies (each with their own racial magical powers/skills and other special powers & attributes) who compete against each other plus monsters for different quests/goals (there is an online Wiki and other resources if you want more details). I’m not interested in the whole game-in-a-game FIVR MMORPG angle for this exercise, just the ALO setting as an inspiration for a Fae Races w/ Flight & Magic Fantasy Setting.

A Fantasy setting with Fae Races w/ Flight & Magic seems like it would be a fun draw if I use the setting for one-shot games at Cons and FLGSs (a large part of my gaming these days). But it would also be an interesting setting for use in a campaign with my own gaming group.

For this thread/exercise, I thought it might be interesting to bring up different elements of the setting, state my ideas and get other folk’s thought and/or alternative ideas. This will help me finalize the setting in my head. I know GURPS Fantasy has great advice for refining a Fantasy setting, and I will be pulling out my copy and using its advice too. I would appreciate some other opinions, so that I don’t end up with a setting that is fascinating to me, but a bore to everyone else. So thanks in advance for any help!
-Dan

P.S.
What I will do, after this introduction post, is set aside a couple posts (2 and 3) for a TOC of later discussions. I will then bring up each discussion topic/element is a separate post. As time permits, I’ll populate the TOC noting the related post number. This will be useful for me tracking down thoughts, but others will hopefully find it useful too.

Last edited by DAT; 01-13-2016 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Fix AFO for ALO
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:14 PM   #2
DAT

Default Re: Help Brainstorming a Fae Races w/ Flight & Magic Fantasy RPG Setting: Alfheim

TOC
A. General Goal of the Setting: (see Posts 4 - )
B. Available Races: (see Posts 5, - )
C. Magic “Colleges”: (see Posts, 9,10, - )
D. Number and Types of Magic to Use: (see Posts, 10, - )
E. Powering Magic: (see Posts, 10, - )
F. Flight – Time (see Posts, TBD, - )
G. Flight – Hitting/Damaging Wings: (see Posts, TBD, - )

Last edited by DAT; 01-23-2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:16 PM   #3
DAT

Default Re: Help Brainstorming a Fae Races w/ Flight & Magic Fantasy RPG Setting: Alfheim

<<Reserved for future expansion as needed>>
Old 01-12-2016, 08:18 PM   #4
DAT

A. General Goal of the Setting:

Ideas:
1) Match ALO
2) Start with ALO and add on (e.g., model the stated setting, then add other races/magic etc.)
3) Similar to ALO (e.g., remap some of the magic skills /power for better balance in GURPS)
4) Similar to ALO and then add on (e.g.,as 3 but 2)
5) Only the General Idea of AFO (e.g., new/different races and different magic/powers)

My Thoughts:
Matching ALO gives some recognition benefits for Con games, where someone familiar with the setting may try the game. Modeling an existing setting means some decisions are made beforehand too, which can be a time saver bonus. But trying to model a setting exactly can lead to some clunky game artifacts of an inconsistent setting.

Starting with ALO and then adding on has the same disadvantage as just Matching ALO, but adds the time issues of new creations. But it does allow for fun expansions and customizations.

Similar to ALO would mean there isn’t a clunky issue to worry about.

Similar to ALO with add on, has advantages and disadvantages

Going crazy with just general idea appeals to my creative side, but my time management size recognizes the scope …

I’m leaning to #4.

Thoughts?

Last edited by DAT; 01-13-2016 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Fix AFO with ALO
Old 01-12-2016, 08:32 PM   #5
DAT

B. Available Races:

Ideas:
1) Same as ALO (Cait Sith, Gnome, Imp, Leprechaun, Pooka, Salamander, Spriggan, Sylph, and Udine)
2) Slightly Different (e.g., name/power tweaks)
3) Different number (fewer)
4) Slightly Difference AFO, add additional

The plan will be to generate templates for each of the races. But since each of the races have their own magic, race and magic decisions are somewhat tied together. Flight and special powers gives rooms for other racial tweaks (e.g., Cait Sith are faster level fliers, Sylph have a faster climb and dive speed, Udine have longer endurance, …).

I’m starting to think that keeping the existing races (only modified slightly for balance/consistency), and then adding on others for spice.

I'm thinking #4.

Thoughts?

Last edited by DAT; 01-13-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:04 AM   #6
thrash

Unless there was an info dump I missed somewhere, I don't think the characteristics of the races in ALO were all spelled out in detail. Yet the setting (overall, not just ALO) is still being added to by the author. You run the risk of enticing players with familiarity, but then disappointing them because you missed some obscure reference about their favorite group. I think you're better off with "inspired by ALO". Then you can make it as close as you like, while maintaining balance and papering over any references you missed.

By the bye, you've been confusing ALO with "AFO" off and on.

Specific comments:

The key characteristic of flight in ALO is that it is limited, both in duration and in altitude. There are mountains too high, and presumably oceans too wide, to fly over. How you replicate that in GURPS is going to have a profound impact on the setting. Do you tie flight to FP, giving an advantage to characters with high HT? Can the limitations be exceeded through Extra Effort? Or are they just arbitrary?

You should probably ignore anything Kirito does. He clearly benefits from Main Character Fu in ways that I imagine will break the setting if anyone else could replicate them. Some of his internal monologues about the differences between SAO, ALO, and GGO may be useful, however.
thrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:20 PM   #7
DAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrash View Post
Unless there was an info dump I missed somewhere, I don't think the characteristics of the races in ALO were all spelled out in detail. Yet the setting (overall, not just ALO) is still being added to by the author. You run the risk of enticing players with familiarity, but then disappointing them because you missed some obscure reference about their favorite group. I think you're better off with "inspired by ALO". Then you can make it as close as you like, while maintaining balance and papering over any references you missed.
I found some Wiki pages doing a google search on SAO and Alfheim. They had some good general listing of characteristics. I'll try to add a link.. http://swordartonline.wikia.com/wiki...ALfheim_Online

But you make a very good point. More "inspired".

Quote:
By the bye, you've been confusing ALO with "AFO" off and on.
Oops. Thanks. I'll go back and fix them.

Quote:
Specific comments:

The key characteristic of flight in ALO is that it is limited, both in duration and in altitude. There are mountains too high, and presumably oceans too wide, to fly over. How you replicate that in GURPS is going to have a profound impact on the setting. Do you tie flight to FP, giving an advantage to characters with high HT?
I was planning a couple of dedicated posts on the topic. See items F. and G. in the TOC.

Quote:
Can the limitations be exceeded through Extra Effort? Or are they just arbitrary?
Jumping a little ahead, I was going to let it be both racially and individually dependent, and so extra effort would influence it.

Quote:
You should probably ignore anything Kirito does. He clearly benefits from Main Character Fu in ways that I imagine will break the setting if anyone else could replicate them. Some of his internal monologues about the differences between SAO, ALO, and GGO may be useful, however.
More good points. Thank you.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:44 PM   #8
DAT

FYI Below is a summary table of my notes from the Wiki:

1 Cait Sith
Description: Cat like with cat ears and tail;
Magic: Animal
Powers: Flight, Monster Taming, Enhanced Speed, Enhanced Eye sight (telescopic), Wall run
2 Gnome
Description: Brown-styled;
Magic: Earth
Powers: Flight, largest (+1 SM ?)
3 Imp
Description: White Skin with Purple tint, Bat Wings, Powers: Purple-styled;
Magic: "Dark Magic" = Necro? or Light/Dark?
Flight (in dark too), Night vision, Wall Run
4 Leprechaun
Description:?;
Magic: Making-Breaking?
Powers: Flight (Mechanical Wings - (extra duration/height of flight?)), Blacksmith
5 Pooka
Description: Gold-style;
Magic: Mind
Powers: Flight, Record/Enchant?, Song Magic
6 Salamander
Description: Red-styled;
Magic: Fire
Powers: Flight (not underground), Enhanced ST
7 Spriggan
Description: Black-styled;
Magic: Illusion
Powers: Flight, Treasure Hunting Magic, Multi-Weapon, Night Vision, Wall Run,
8 Sylph
Description: Green-styled;
Magic: Air
Flight, Stealth Magic, Enhanced Speed, Wall Run
9 Udine
Description: Blue-styled;
Magic: Water
Powers: Flight, healers/support magic, Underwater combat, Wall run
10 Pixie (NPC)
Description: Small (SM-6);
Magic: Knowledge
Powers: Flight
11 Alf
Description:?
Magic: ?
Powers: Flight (unlimited?)

After reading over the ALO Wiki and thinking about it some more, “Inspired byALO” is the way to go. The level of detail varies enough that I would have to fill in gaps, and as I did chances are I would drift from the Author’s cannon, and as thrash said, disappoint some one

Although I may end up using some of this, I think I am going to restart from scratch.

One of the base ALO ideas I like is that each race is affiliate with a type of magic. So I am starting to thing it make work best to: 1) establish a pool of race name, 2) establish a list of magic types/colleges, and then 3) match the two.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:50 PM   #9
DAT

Race Name Pool:
Used in ALO =
Cait Sith,
Gnome,
Imp,
Leprechaun,
Pooka,
Salamander,
Spriggan,
Sylph,
Udine,
Pixie,
Alfs
New =
Dryad,
Faun,
Nixie,
Nymph ,
Siren,
Bucca,
Brownies,
Hobs,
Gremlin,
Jinn,
Sprite,
Kijimuna,
Yokai,
Yakshini ,
Vulcans,
Tengu,

Magic College Pool:
24 Magic Colleges from GURPS Magic:
AIR SPELLS
ANIMAL SPELLS
BODY CONTROL SPELLS
COMMUNICATION AND EMPATHY SPELLS
EARTH SPELLS
ENCHANTMENT SPELLS
FIRE SPELLS
FOOD SPELLS
GATE SPELLS
HEALING SPELLS
ILLUSION AND CREATION SPELLS
KNOWLEDGE SPELLS
LIGHT AND DARKNESS SPELLS
MAKING AND BREAKING SPELLS
META-SPELLS
MIND CONTROL SPELLS
MOVEMENT SPELLS
NECROMANTIC SPELLS
PLANT SPELLS
PROTECTION AND WARNING SPELLS
SOUND SPELLS
TECHNOLOGICAL SPELLS
WATER SPELLS
WEATHER SPELLS

A Mapping:
Sylph - AIR SPELLS
Cait Sith - ANIMAL SPELLS
Nixie - BODY CONTROL SPELLS
Bucca? - COMMUNICATION AND EMPATHY SPELLS
Gnome - EARTH SPELLS
Vulcans? - ENCHANTMENT SPELLS
Salamander - FIRE SPELLS
Faun - FOOD SPELLS
Alf? - GATE SPELLS
Nymph - HEALING SPELLS
Spriggan - ILLUSION AND CREATION SPELLS
Pixie - KNOWLEDGE SPELLS
Sprite? - LIGHT AND DARKNESS SPELLS
Leprechaun - MAKING AND BREAKING SPELLS
Hobs? - META-SPELLS
Pooka - MIND CONTROL SPELLS
Alf? - MOVEMENT SPELLS
Imp - NECROMANTIC SPELLS
Dryad - PLANT SPELLS
Brownies? - PROTECTION AND WARNING SPELLS
Siren - SOUND SPELLS
Gremlin - TECHNOLOGICAL SPELLS
Udine - WATER SPELLS
Jinn? - WEATHER SPELLS

Used from Pool = Kijimuna, Yokai, Yakshini , Tengu,

Thoughts?

Last edited by DAT; 01-15-2016 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:35 AM   #10
DAT

Ideas on Magic for Setting:
All fae races start with Magery 0 [5] + 2 levels of Magery, some aspected or limited (e.g., song)
Each race has an associated/aspected magic college
Each races starts with a number (3 – 5, [5] each) of magic charms in their associated college
Charms ignore prerequisites, and skill level are IQ+Magery Level, but can be raised for 4pts a level
Other Spells can be learned normally (with prerequisites), assuming race’s magery allows, but spells from an enemy race’s college require and unusual background Advantage
Spells cost Mana Energy Points (MEP), not FP
Mana Energy Reserve (MER) (total MEP) = Will x 5
MAP Recover is a leveled advantage, not a spell. Level 0 [0] returns 1 MEP per 10 min., Level 1 [5] returns 1 MEP per 5 min., Level 2 [10] returns 1 MEP per 2 min, Level 3 [15] returns 1 MEP per 1min.
Spell use also causes Chaos Corruption (Threshold),
Average Threshold is TBD?, Recovery Rate is TBD? per night of rest.
Threshold Table starts with FP loss, MEP loss, HP loss, temp MER reduction, Chao effects …

Idea:
Rune Magic Casting is slower, but costs less MEPs (Normal Cost/10, min 1). Enchantment can only be done with Rune Magic.

Idea:
Random – Faun use Music Rune Note Magic

Thoughts? Alternatives?

Tags
alfheim, alfheim online, fantasy, sword art online