Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #1
GodlessRose

Default [RPM] Healing

I am playing around with Ritual Path Magic, trying to get the hang of it before I run my first MH game. In particular I am wondering about healing spells. Here are my first attempts. What am I doing wrong?

First, a spell to simply heal injury. I guess this is a lesser effect. Though instantaneous healing seems like a bit much for a lesser effect to me. Perhaps a lesser effect should result in healing that happens over a period of time, similar to the “succor” ritual in Thaumatology (pg. 150)?
Spell Effects: Lesser Restore Body.
Inherent Modifiers: Healing

Typical Casting, Light Injuries: Lesser Restore Body (4) + Healing, 1d+2 (2) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3). 9 energy.

Typical Casting, Moderate Injuries: Lesser Restore Body (4) + Healing, 3d (8) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3). 15 energy.

Typical Casting, Serious Injuries: Lesser Restore Body (4) + Healing, 6d (20) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3). 27 energy.

Now, a spell to heal a lasting crippling injury. I assume this is a lesser effect:
Spell Effects: Lesser Restore Body x2 (one to make the lasting crippling temporary, the other to heal the damage.)

I figure the amount of injury healed should be fairly high, to ensure the healing is complete. I’m using the weight of the subject’s entire body. Should it be just the weight of the crippled body part, instead?
Typical Casting: Lesser Restore Body (4) + Lesser Restore Body (4) + Healing, 3d (8) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3). 19 energy.

A spell to heal a permanent crippling injury. I figure this is a greater effect:
Spell Effects: Greater Restore Body (to make the permanent crippling temporary), Lesser Restore Body (to heal the damage.)
Greater Effects: 1

Typical Casting: Greater Restore Body (4) + Lesser Restore Body (4) + Healing, 3d (8) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3). 57 energy (19x3).

Finally, a spell to stop bleeding, but nothing else:
Spell Effects: Lesser Restore Body.
Inherent Modifiers: None

Typical Casting, Lesser Restore Body (4) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3). 7 energy.
GodlessRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
PK

Default Re: [RPM] Healing

For the most part, you're taking the right approach, and yes, you always use the subject's full weight -- not like you probably even know how much "just his arm" weighs anyway. :)

However, what the upcoming RPM book will clarify is that a Lesser Restore Body effect is sufficient for healing HP up to twice as good as what normal first aid could accomplish in the setting. Past that, you need Greater Restore Body. (And before anyone starts pointing out the various ways one could interpret "in the setting," let me just state that it covers that as well.)

You're also right in that Lesser Restore Body can heal temporary problems (like a temporary or lasting crippled limb) while Greater Restore Body is necessary for permanent ones. However, my preferred approach for spells that heal crippled or missing limbs is to use Altered Traits to negate the disadvantage in question. After all, whether your limb is crippled/missing isn't directly tied to whether you've healed the HP.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
For the most part, you're taking the right approach, and yes, you always use the subject's full weight -- not like you probably even know how much "just his arm" weighs anyway. :).
It's uhhh about 5% of your total body weight. >_> Don't ask I had to look it up for a game.

But yeah, everything PK said. I'm glad to see the healing stats are leaked out now - there have been questions asked about this before and I can link this to other posters if need be. :-)

I really ought to find all the RPM posts and rulings PK has made and put them into a thread somewhere...hmmm

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
GodlessRose

Thanks for the clarification. I'm puzzled about Altered Traits, though. I had assumed such an effect would be temporary. Am I to understand that if I use Altered Traits with Restore, the effect is permanent?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodlessRose View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I'm puzzled about Altered Traits, though. I had assumed such an effect would be temporary. Am I to understand that if I use Altered Traits with Restore, the effect is permanent?
Restoring a lost leg or arm (or whatever) with Altered Traits would require a Restore effect and the Duration modifier. The repaired limb lasts as long as the spell. That said you could use a Strengthen effect and add Regrowth (and probably some Regeneration!) to regrow the limb permanently. At least that is how I've ruled it.

Become a Patron!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
GodlessRose

Ah, okay. So is this right, to heal a permanently crippled arm, or regrow one that is missing?
Spell Effects: Greater Restore Body
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Traits

Typical Casting, for a HP 10 character: Greater Restore Body (4) + Altered Traits, Slow Regeneration and Regrowth (50) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3) + Duration, 3 Days (8). 195 energy (65x3).

It would be a bit cheaper in my campaign, though, since I use RPK’s house rules. :)
GodlessRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Ah, okay. So is this right, to heal a permanently crippled arm, or regrow one that is missing?
Spell Effects: Greater Restore Body
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Traits

Typical Casting, for a HP 10 character: Greater Restore Body (4) + Altered Traits, Slow Regeneration and Regrowth (50) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3) + Duration, 3 Days (8). 195 energy (65x3).

It would be a bit cheaper in my campaign, though, since I use RPK’s house rules. :)
Yeah that looks about right. I too use PK's rules for Regrowth. It only makes sense. :-)

Become a Patron!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
Qhaysh

Quote:
Which house rules? (if you don't mind me asking)
Qhaysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhaysh View Post
Which house rules? (if you don't mind me asking)
Here you go.

Become a Patron!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
Qhaysh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Here you go.
Cheers! And I get it now! I thought there were new house rules for RPM, but he was actually just referring to the repricing of regrowth... Sorry for the confusion!
Qhaysh is offline   Reply With Quote