Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-28-2017, 08:33 PM   #41
Icelander

Default Re: X-Files level characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesendeja View Post
I think I'd have a mutiny on my hands if I sent them to Alaska in the middle of the winter.
If the PCs are anything like most PCs, their rash behaviour, lack of respect for authority and constant rules-breaking during the first adventure will provide a perfect justification for the powers that be reassigning them to an Alaska field office for the rest of the campaign.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:28 PM   #42
Kesendeja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
If the PCs are anything like most PCs, their rash behaviour, lack of respect for authority and constant rules-breaking during the first adventure will provide a perfect justification for the powers that be reassigning them to an Alaska field office for the rest of the campaign.
You have a point.
Kesendeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:57 AM   #43
starslayer

I think 250 points for Scully seems low, possibly for Mulder too.

Consider:

Scully:
Recognized as super-bright (IQ 12-14 /w some talent or IQ 15-16), rocket-accelerated career and well recognized for capability (social status, positive reputation), full medical doctor, certified as a coroner, regular FBI training, FBI officer package (legal enforcement powers, etc); not in BAD shape (so 11-12 in ST, DX, HT). Because she is a full doctor she should be making rather significantly better money than an equivalent agent so she probably gets an extra level of wealth compared to a 'normal' field agent.

Mulder:
Recognized as super-bright and a brilliant investigator (probably less total smart than scully, so IQ 12-14 but with some talent), huge array of contacts, some allies (lone gunmen), access to some hidden lore skills (this may require some UB), also not in BAD shape, unfazeable (seriously; nothing ever suprises mulder, he never gets the 'oh god what is that' or 'mentally stunned' fright check result), background in psycology (which he is very good at). He has at least user-level training on a huge variety of weird detection devices. He possibly has an edict memory (or at least with the laser focus 'only for supernatural stuff'). FBI agent package for legal enforcement powers and the like again. By no means a doctor like scully, he is still an FBI agent, who's been at it for a while, so he also likely has above average wealth.

They aren't combat gods or anything of the sort, its all of the social advantages that put some real life people like Elon Musk and Bill Gates into the hundreds to thousands of points range that make Mulder and Scully very point intensive.

I would suggest that you build TEMPLATES for your players, or someone will build a 'ruins everything' PC with a completely reasonable number of points provided by allotting them to a tight focus.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:26 PM   #44
AlexanderHowl

You are underestimating their intelligence. I would say that they are both at IQ 14 (they have multiple interests and hobbies outside of work that suggest that they are geniuses) with significant Talents, as they are considered exceptionally smart for FBI agents (who are not going to be average intelligence when you look at their selection criteria). Each of them could probably be accurately represented with Attributes of ST 12 [20], DX 12 [40], IQ 14 [80], and HT 12 [20], which means that making them 250 point characters would be appropriate given their advantages and skills. You could probably make a FBI 'Special' Agent template with 250 points using the above Attributes as a beginning.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:24 PM   #45
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
You are underestimating their intelligence. I would say that they are both at IQ 14 (they have multiple interests and hobbies outside of work that suggest that they are geniuses) with significant Talents, as they are considered exceptionally smart for FBI agents (who are not going to be average intelligence when you look at their selection criteria). Each of them could probably be accurately represented with Attributes of ST 12 [20], DX 12 [40], IQ 14 [80], and HT 12 [20], which means that making them 250 point characters would be appropriate given their advantages and skills. You could probably make a FBI 'Special' Agent template with 250 points using the above Attributes as a beginning.
I mostly included the lower values for the cult of stat normalization, representatives from will inevitably be here in a few more posts to argue that neither of them are more than IQ 12.. If I were building them it would be IQ 14 + several talents for Mulder, IQ 16 for Scully (Scully at least to me just always seemed globally very smart in the GURPS sense, socially dynamic, able to pick up on things quickly, high mental defaults, and working from a generous starting point for anything she did know)
Old 12-29-2017, 02:31 PM   #46
JoelSammallahti

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
I mostly included the lower values for the cult of stat normalization, representatives from will inevitably be here in a few more posts
We keep sacrificing to the Gods of Bounded Ability, asking for their leniency, but you just won't listen. Soon will come the hour of the Curber of Capabilities, and the time of the Great Recalibration is at hand.
JoelSammallahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:58 PM   #47
Flyndaran
Untagged

Even when suggesting Gurps traits for all else, I don't think Stats work that well. Because 12, 14, and 16 mean very different things to different people.
Probably more readily communicated to use adjectives like very good, exceptional, and supremely high. Or above average, good, and very good.

Last edited by Flyndaran; 12-29-2017 at 11:05 PM.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:38 AM   #48
joppeknol

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Each of them could probably be accurately represented with Attributes of ST 12 [20], DX 12 [40], IQ 14 [80], and HT 12 [20], which means that making them 250 point characters would be appropriate given their advantages and skills. You could probably make a FBI 'Special' Agent template with 250 points using the above Attributes as a beginning.
I only saw the series when they were broadcasted the first time, but I don't believe in ST12 for both. Mulder has an average build and Scully seems to be an average woman. That would suggest 10-11 form mulder and 9-10 for Scully (To my knowledge 10 was the strength of an 18-year old man, fit for military service).
joppeknol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:27 AM   #49
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joppeknol View Post
I only saw the series when they were broadcasted the first time, but I don't believe in ST12 for both. Mulder has an average build and Scully seems to be an average woman. That would suggest 10-11 form mulder and 9-10 for Scully (To my knowledge 10 was the strength of an 18-year old man, fit for military service).
No, ten is the baseline human average strength.

Military service by nature of its physical entrance requirements probably has an ST of 11 at point of entry and ST 12+ after basic.

While the FBI training does not have as stringent a PT schedule during training, they still have a physical fitness entrance exam and its not simple ( https://www.fbijobs.gov/sites/defaul.../PFT_Guide.pdf) -- Just the 30 continuous push-ups puts them in 'above average strength for an adult male'. If they have re-certifications, which is likely, that means maintaining at least that level of fitness.

On top of that; Mulder because he ruffled feathers the wrong way probably had to redo the entrance physical routinely to prove he was 'still capable' routinely, and Scully, because she was very by the book, likely maintained at least that level of fitness as a matter of course.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:40 AM   #50
Kesendeja

FBI Special Agent: 90 points

You are a member of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. This is the basic template to use for a rookie FBI Field Agent.

Attributes: ST 10 [0], DX 10 [0], IQ 11 [20], HT 11 [10].

Advantages: Legal Enforcement Powers [10], Patron (FBI, 9 or less, Minimal Intervention) [12]

Disadvantages: Duty (FBI, quite often, roll 15 or less) [-15] Sense of Duty (Other Agents) [-5] ++

Skills:
Skill or Technique Name Cost Base Rel. Rank
Acting 1 IQ/A IQ-1 10
Administration 4 IQ/A IQ+1 12
Brawling 1 DX/E DX+0 10
Combat Driving (Automobile) [Technique] 3 DX/A DX+2 12
Computer Operation/TL 8 1 IQ/E IQ+0 11
Criminology 4 IQ/A IQ+1 12
Detect Lies 2 Per/H Per-1 10
Diplomacy 2 IQ/H IQ-1 10
Drive (Automobile) 2 DX/A DX+0 10
Electronics Operation (Surveillance) 1 IQ/A IQ-1 10
Forced Entry 1 DX/E DX+0 10
Forensics 2 IQ/H IQ-1 10
Guns (Pistols) 2 Per/E Per+1 12
Guns (SMG) 2 Per/E Per+1 12
Interrogation 4 IQ/A IQ+1 12
Law (Federal) 2 IQ/H IQ-1 10
Observation 4 Per/A Per+1 12
Psychology 2 IQ/H IQ-1 10
Public Speaking 1 IQ/A IQ-1 10
Savior-Faire (FBI) 2 IQ/E IQ+1 12
Search 4 Per/A Per+1 12
Shadowing 4 IQ/A IQ+1 12
Shields 1 DX/E DX+0 10
Tactics 2 IQ/H IQ-1 10
Urban Survival 1 Per/A Per-1 10
Wrestling 2 DX/A DX+0 10
Writing 1 IQ/A IQ-1 10

How do I get the skills formatted as a table?
Kesendeja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character, conspiracy, conspiricy, delta green, federal agencies, x-files