Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-22-2015, 04:20 AM   #1
Anders

Default Venoms, venoms, venoms

Some sample venoms for my Fantasy campaign. Any other ideas?

Anti-Coagulant Venom: Delivery: Blood Agent. Delay: 6d×3 seconds. Resistance Roll: None. Effects: Toxic damage. Cycle Interval: 1 hour. Number of Cycles: 3d. Side Effects: Hemophilia; Moderate Pain. Statistics: Innate Attack, Toxic (Blood Agent, -40%; Cyclic, 10 cycles, 1 hour +200%; Onset, 1 minute, -10%; Side Effects, +100%) [14 points/die]

Cardiotoxic Venom: Delivery: Blood Agent. Delay: 3d seconds. Resistance Roll: Affliction. Effects: Heart Attack. Duration: Instantaneous. Statistics: Affliction (Blood Agent, -40%; Heart Attack, +300%) [36 points/level]

Cytotoxic Venom: Delivery: Blood Agent. Delay: 6d×3 seconds. Resistance Roll: None. Effects: Toxic damage. Cycle Interval: 1 hour. Number of Cycles: 3d. Side Effects: Terrible Pain. Statistics: Innate Attack, Toxic (Blood Agent, -40%; Cyclic, 10 cycles, 1 hour +200%; Onset, 1 minute, -10%; Side Effects, +110%) [14.4 points/die]

Enterotoxic Venom: Delivery: Blood Agent. Delay: 6d×3 minutes. Resistance Roll: None. Effects: Fatigue damage, Hazard: Dehydration. Cycle Interval: 1 hour. Number of Cycles: 3d. Side Effects: Nausea. Statistics: Innate Attack, Fatigue (Blood Agent, -40%; Cyclic, 10 cycles, 1 hour, +200%; Hazard, +20%; Onset, 1 hour, -20%; Side Effects +80%) [34 points/die]

Paralytic Venom: Delivery: Blood Agent. Delay: 3d×3 minutes. Resistance Roll: Affliction. Effects: Paralysis; Choking (Secondary). Duration: 10 minutes per MoF. Statistics: Affliction (Blood Agent, -40%; Extended Duration, x10, +40%; Paralysis, +150%; Secondary, Choking, +20%; Onset, -10%) [26 points/level]

Respiratory Paralysis Venom: Delivery: Blood Agent. Delay: 3d seconds. Resistance Roll: Affliction. Effects: Choking. Duration: 10 minutes per MoF. Statistics: Affliction (Blood Agent, -40%; Choking, +100%; Extended Duration, x10, +40%) [20 points/level]

MoF = Margin of Failure
There really should be a condition called Diarrhea. Any ideas for what that might do?
Old 11-22-2015, 07:19 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Venoms, venoms, venoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
There really should be a condition called Diarrhea. Any ideas for what that might do?
That's mainly a dehydration effect. So, Fatigue damage with the Dehydration hazard.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:33 AM   #3
lwcamp

You might get some ideas by looking at the way I handle venoms in my Animalia entries for vipers and elapids
http://panoptesv.com/RPGs/animalia/r...ae/Vipers.html
http://panoptesv.com/RPGs/animalia/r...s/Elapids.html
In order to allow the necessary dose to depend on body size (lethal dose is usually given in mg of venom per kg of the victim), I treat these as attacks with Symptoms and often the No Wounding modifier - where the injury only counts for determining the effects of the symptoms. This way, a viper that takes a day to kill a human can still kill a mouse in a few minutes, and will just make an elephant a bit sore and cranky.

Some of the Australian brown snakes have nephrotoxic venom, which destroys the kidneys. This is an additional venom type if you want to play around with more varied venoms.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:44 AM   #4
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
That's mainly a dehydration effect. So, Fatigue damage with the Dehydration hazard.
The damage is dehydration, but I really wouldn't underestimate the pain and cramping, and the part where you spend much of your time with your pants around your ankles in a compromising position. That tends to make adventuring a real problem...

That said, I'm willing to hand wave and call that roughly Moderate pain and Nauseated. You don't have fits of retching so much as the other end, but thats an approximation. You don't get your fits when provoked by strong smells or something, but more on a schedule. The pain only happens in conjunction with the "retching" but I think overall that averages out to the roughly right cost. Right order of magnitude :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
The damage is dehydration, but I really wouldn't underestimate the pain and cramping, and the part where you spend much of your time with your pants around your ankles in a compromising position. That tends to make adventuring a real problem...

That said, I'm willing to hand wave and call that roughly Moderate pain and Nauseated. You don't have fits of retching so much as the other end, but thats an approximation. You don't get your fits when provoked by strong smells or something, but more on a schedule. The pain only happens in conjunction with the "retching" but I think overall that averages out to the roughly right cost. Right order of magnitude :)
Well, I speak only of the damaging effects. Whether pain is involved or just a lot of time ejecting liquids from your rear varies from person to person, with pain usually being the result of trying not to eject brown fluids for too long.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:20 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Well, I speak only of the damaging effects. Whether pain is involved or just a lot of time ejecting liquids from your rear varies from person to person, with pain usually being the result of trying not to eject brown fluids for too long.
I doubt life threatening levels of diarrhea are painless for anyone. Unless you're in desert dry and hot conditions where any water loss is dangerous.

We're not talking mild food poisoning here where the problem is mostly discomfort and risk to underwear.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:03 AM   #7
Anders

Diarrhea can also have very serious consequences in cold areas, where wet clothes pose a serious threat to one's life and health.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:56 AM   #8
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Diarrhea can also have very serious consequences in cold areas, where wet clothes pose a serious threat to one's life and health.
that is independent of diahrrea its, though. If i wanted to give it a crazy detailed approach, you could call it:

Roll 3d6 against 12 once per hour. On a failure, suffer Moderate Pain.
You suffer Nausea, except instead of wreching, you defecate. You get enough warning to drop your pants (3 seconds or so) and may roll against Will, at a cumulative -1 per per roll, to hold it. Of course, you don't have to hold it.... and train-of-thoughting this, i suppose soiling yoursslf wojldnt really impose any attribute penalties, though you might get a reputation, bad smell, etc.
At the end of deficating, lose FP as per Seizure.

Thats just train of thought, but I do think Bruno is on the right track with reourposing Nausea for sure. Cramping doesnt always happen, though (I've had food poisoning a couple of times; sometimes I cramp, other times just feel sick to my stomache. Both times had me doing sprints).

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
affliction, innate attack, no wounding, symptoms, venoms