Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-06-2008, 12:58 AM   #51
Anders

Default Re: Crouching Kitten Hidden Tomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp
When I've let a large monitor (say, one of my 5 foot long argus monitors) roam in a room where the cats were free, the cats would follow the lizard exhibiting extreme interest, but staying out of reach.
That is a beautiful lizard. I've been considering making some moves non-Cinematic for cats. Spring Attack, for instance, comes naturally to them - they're built for it in a way humans are not. On the other hand, cats are not built for attacks like Knee Drop, Knee Strike and Axe Kick. They would be cinematic for cats.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:35 AM   #52
lwcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask
That is a beautiful lizard. I've been considering making some moves non-Cinematic for cats. Spring Attack, for instance, comes naturally to them - they're built for it in a way humans are not. On the other hand, cats are not built for attacks like Knee Drop, Knee Strike and Axe Kick. They would be cinematic for cats.
There may even be some moves cats can do that humans simply cannot. The trick of grappling with the teeth and front claws and ripping with the hind claws, for example. (While I own GURPS Martial arts and have read it, I still haven't really assimilated it, so maybe this technique is covered there, though).

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:35 AM   #53
Lord Carnifex

So, would you consider "wiggiling your rear end and flicking your tail" to be a form of feline kiai?
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:21 PM   #54
Voidstar

It's intimidation factor...
Old 06-06-2008, 09:34 PM   #55
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnifex
So, would you consider "wiggiling your rear end and flicking your tail" to be a form of feline kiai?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidstar
It's intimidation factor...
'Specially if done by a large cat. :)

When I worked at my last newspaper job, our photographer learned that someone had set up an animal rescue facility nearby. He decided to go out and do a photo essay on it.

Turned out the place had two Siberian Tiger kittens. They were young and weighed only about 150 lbs each. They were also fairly friendly and liked humans, so the operators asked the photographer if he'd like to go into the compound and take some good shots. Accompanied, of course.

The photographer (being a newspaper photographer) immediately jumped at the chance, and spent the next 30 minutes or so blowing through film. He had a great shot framed, of one of the kittens, when he said he (literally) felt the hair on the back of neck go straight up.

He looked to his right to see the other Siberian tiger kitten in the pose we all know well. Eyes locked on target. Front claws flexing as front paws knead the ground to ensure a solid grip. Hindquarters making little twitches as the tail swishes back and forth.

He said, "Oh, $#*!" and (being a newspaper photographer) curled up around his precious camera as the kitten pounced. It bounded across the compound, grabbed him around the upper thighs and sank two-inch fangs into his right side at the belt-line. And then bounced away to chase the other kitten.

He comes staggering into the newspaper office with his right side swathed in bandages and moving really slowly. Our editor, Bill, gave him a long look and deadpanned, "So, you got some good shots, right?"

I, of course, pointed out that was one of the best things that could've happened to him. Amazed, he said, "Why?! It hurts like hell!"

"Look, that's gonna heal up in a couple of weeks right? And then you're gonna have some great scars right there."

"So?"

"So, you're gonna meet some hot babe and take her out to a park or a pool, and she'll ask, 'Where did you get those scars?'"

"'Got bit by a tiger.'"

"'Oh, bull$#*!, no way.'"

"And you'll say, 'Wanna see the pictures?'"

A year later, he was dating a tall, blonde babe of a rodeo queen. :)

Won an award for the photo essay, too.

Last edited by tshiggins; 06-06-2008 at 09:42 PM.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:28 PM   #56
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
The ability to Trip might be simpler to cover under technique adaptation while Grappling is probably gonna be Clinching.
Most cats and many dogs do seem to be quite skilled at tripping people, at least.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:17 PM   #57
Flyndaran
Untagged

Most cats are not trying to trip people. They're exhibiting submissive behavior by rubbing against the only parts of people in reach. It's just that wrapping around our legs makes us fall.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:34 PM   #58
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Some rules for accidentally stepping on or tripping on small allies in combat would be awesome.
The flexibility of GURPS rules to allow a GM to make rulings based on general game mechanics like the rules for footing without needing every specific case spelled out in advance is even more awesome.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:21 PM   #59
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Existing rules for fighting in Close Combat, Hitting the Wrong Target, Distraction, and Situational Awareness may be applied by a GM who is interested in doing so. You don't need GURPS My Mouse Familiar is Fighting In The Same Hex As Me.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:04 PM   #60
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Do you know page for distraction / situational awareness?
Situational Awareness is detailed in Tactical Shooting IIRC.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat cats, paw-fu