Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 08-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #21
Astromancer

Default Re: An Article on brain Mapping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Honestly, given canonical THS tech, human cloning would be trivial; the required tech is implied by genefixing (if you're able to extra DNA, modify it, and re-insert it into the original or a new egg cell, you can do cloning with the same process).
In the THS setting cloning is trivial. Cloning of humans will occur in our world. Hopefully the nastiness of the process of learning how to clone humans will be less than Flyndaran or I think it would be. I think Flyndaran thinks the research will require Nazi doctor type evil. I only assume nastiness, cruelty, and pointless waste.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #22
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That would lead to the ethical issue of using knowledge gained from crimes against humanity for your supposedly more humane uses.
I can sympathize with both sides of that.
I don't see that as being much of an ethical issue at all, unless you mean not using it would be the ethical problem.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #23
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
I don't see that as being much of an ethical issue at all, unless you mean not using it would be the ethical problem.
Fruit of the poisonous tree: If people are allowed to gainfully use information obtained by unethical means, it can encourage them to arrange for further unethical research by deniable means.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 02:45 PM   #24
Astromancer

I've read online article recently about transplanting wombs, including transplanting wombs into men. Given organ printing, so that donated wombs aren't required, or for that matter donated genetic material for producing the kids, reasons for cloning are getting even fewer.

Cloning will be only a vanity project. But, as I have said before in this thread, people have killed for vanity.

Ancora Imparo
Old 09-30-2017, 03:02 PM   #25
Flyndaran
Untagged

The bio-male would need to hormonally transition even if not genetally for it to be in any way safe to bear children... with the obvious need for c-section births.

Cloning in the real world will always include hundreds of "failures" and at least dozens of severe deformities long before "perfection", and will almost certainly never reach the safety levels of "natural" reproduction. I would consider any society okay with doing that to sapient life a dystopia.

Jumping over that period to "perfected" human cloning will involve the more morally nebulous issue of fruit of the poisoned tree. At least that's a grayer issue.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:51 AM   #26
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
The bio-male would need to hormonally transition even if not genetally for it to be in any way safe to bear children... with the obvious need for c-section births.
But there would be plenty of men who would go through the whole mess, especially if it was fully reversible.

Quote:
Cloning in the real world will always include hundreds of "failures" and at least dozens of severe deformities long before "perfection", and will almost certainly never reach the safety levels of "natural" reproduction. I would consider any society okay with doing that to sapient life a dystopia.
Agreed, which is why I see human cloning as something that will come out of twisted vanity not any legitimate motive.

Ancora Imparo
Old 10-07-2017, 12:19 PM   #27
Flyndaran
Untagged

There are many adults that want to do all sorts of horrific destructive things to their bodies. Not all should be allowed, but of course where that line is drawn is very culturally dependent.

I'm mainly worried about the increased risk of infant mortality and deformity form experimental forms of reproduction like that.
Any new form will cause increased risk. That's simply unavoidable even with near utopian levels of medicine like pre-game-setting THS.

It's easiest, for me at least, to assume some past Mengele that had way to much time and funding did the horrific heavy lifting. Now everyone just coasts on "his" work like much of modern western society with regards to our horrific "animal" and human experimentation.
It's easy to omit Nazi experimental data mainly, because nearly everything they did was not just inhumane but also incompetent science.