Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2018, 05:45 AM   #16
Tomsdad

Default Re: Constant Encumbrance during daily activity and fatigue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
I never weighed each individual piece of gear, but buck nekkid I weigh about 250 and suited up I weigh about 290. I actually weighed myself one morning getting ready for work.

So:

Clothing... boots, socks, Chuck Norris underroos, wicking t-shirt, bullet resistant vest, 5.11 holster t-shirt, uniform pants and blouse, shirt garters, pants belt... badge, name plate.

Gear in pockets... pens, notebook, work cell phone, personal cell phone, Miranda card, DUI clue card, spare car key, cuff key, spare cuff key, business cards, leather gloves, vinyl gloves, spare flashlight, wallet, blowout kit...

Gear on duty belt... duty belt, suspenders, main flashlight, vhf radio, hand mic, ear piece, cuffs x2, Gerber multitool...

Weapons... Sig P320fs, Sig P320sc, spare mags x3, baton, taser, oc spray, benchmade infidel knife, spare patrol rifle mag

I also had a safe with a patrol rifle, shotgun and rifle plate vest in it at the courthouse, and of course they were in my truck on patrol.

My gear at court was essentially the same as what I had as a road deputy.

I was the only deputy at the courthouse, so I had to be able to handle anything until backup could arrive. I had to be able to do everything a road deputy could do. I made more arrests at the court house than the entire rest of the department combined some months. Aside from taking people into custody at the order of the court, people appeared with warrants in other cases, people drove to court drunk, people drove to court with suspended licenses, people drove to court in stolen cars (true story!), people got into fights during their divorce cases, people got into fights during lawsuits, people threatened judges, prosecutors, even their defense attorneys.

I had 4 sets of cuffs, two on my duty belt and two more in my patrol bag, and there were days when all 4 sets were over at the jail waiting for me to pick them up because I arrested so many people and had mobile units do the transports.

The one place somebody knew they could find their baby momma, ex wife, old landlord or whatever was at court... so they brought their grudges with them.

In the jail when I started the gear was essentially the same except you didn’t have your guns or knives inside. Baton, taser, radio, vest was all the same and you’d put on your guns if you were doing something outside.

Thinking about it, maybe I did lose FPs and just got used to that.
Yep I think that's basically it, I'd imagine that unless we're truly sedentary or hugely active most of us lose a FP or 2 while we go about our daily lives, and pretty much gain them back as we rest up during our daily lives. Afterall 20 mins of sitting and relaxing will recover 2 FP. (possibly 3 FP if you eat supper while doing that).

I also definitely think that we get used to stuff like operating while carrying stuff (could easily define that as developing extra BL in that area in GURPS terms, but IME its also includes working out how to hang it off yourself in the most comfortable and least intrusive way!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
By the standards of other animals, it IS a lot, given that 350 calories represents the better part of a typical meal, or about 1/5 of all calories required for a 1,600 calorie diet.
OK but by the standards of other animals isn't very relevant to our standards and different levels of activity.

350 calories is really not very much in great scheme of things for those of us with ready access to calares anyway.

But that is not to say you can never get knacked sitting down and doing brainwork all day, believe me a long day of stressful problem solving can be v.tiring even if you happen to be sitting down for most of it!

Last edited by Tomsdad; 06-13-2018 at 05:50 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote