Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-26-2018, 02:28 PM   #11
JLV

Default Re: TFT Campaign Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
So what is everyone's plans for their kick-off campaign setting? I know some of you have been running TFT for quite awhile but its been a 30+ year hiatus for me. Since the return of TFT was announced, however, I've been thinking a lot about running a metropolitan city-based fantasy campaign because I've never done that before. I've used cities in other games of course, but never as the primary setting.

This got me thinking about Monte Cook's Ptolus setting... I've always wanted to run it, but never did because we were always playing on Faerun (D&D) or Golarian (Pathfinder), occasionally the Lost Lands (Frog God Games). I think it would be easy to adapt since the vast majority of the material is system-agnostic. It also seems like the tone would fit TFT quite well.
I've always wanted to run Ptolus, but until you wrote this, I never even thought of it for TFT. I wonder why? Brilliant idea, and now I have to think about that... ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:02 PM   #12
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I've always wanted to run Ptolus, but until you wrote this, I never even thought of it for TFT. I wonder why? Brilliant idea, and now I have to think about that... ;-)
Right? There are some changes I'll need to make obviously, but reading thru the materials over the last couple weeks, it is much less than I initially thought. I even think many of the setting's meta-plots will mesh nicely with TFT background elements (i.e. the Spire was created by the Mnoren). So far, I'm just making a bunch of mental notes right now, but I plan to share my conversion notes with this group once I start formally writing everything up. I need to finish my revisions to the core rules first though.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:00 PM   #13
JLV

Quote:
Right? There are some changes I'll need to make obviously, but reading thru the materials over the last couple weeks, it is much less than I initially thought. I even think many of the setting's meta-plots will mesh nicely with TFT background elements (i.e. the Spire was created by the Mnoren). So far, I'm just making a bunch of mental notes right now, but I plan to share my conversion notes with this group once I start formally writing everything up. I need to finish my revisions to the core rules first though.
Well, I for one, will be very much looking forward to seeing your take on it. I need to break out my PDFs and start looking again. (That's probably one of the big reasons why I didn't even think about it; I only have PDFs, and I'm very much an analog guy in a digital world...) Up until now, I was focusing more on places like the Free City of Haven, or City State of the Invincible Overlord as starting urban areas (or at least urban areas within relatively easy reach for those kinds of adventures).
Old 10-26-2018, 06:08 PM   #14
TippetsTX

As an interesting aside, I think that Monte Cook and I must've loved a lot of the same things growing up. He created a leonine race (originally for his Unearthed Arcana RPG) called Litorians which are also featured in his Ptolus setting. Back in '85, I created a similar race for my TFT campaign based on the lion-men of Mongo from that cool Flash Gordon cartoon that share many of the same attributes with Monte's creation. There are several elements like this that line up nicely with my own preferences and designs which makes Ptolus that much more attractive to me.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 10-26-2018 at 06:46 PM.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:35 PM   #15
ajardoor

I have vague ideas about a DF setting where the player characters are all inmates in a magical prison floating in the air above the sea, imprisoned by a fantasy India that is at war with fantasy China. The prison is huge and "hands off", so the PCs can journey to obscure wings of the prison where portals to pocket dimensions to gather treasure to pay off work gangs and corrupt guards, to get new gear.
ajardoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:09 AM   #16
JLV

Quote:
As an interesting aside, I think that Monte Cook and I must've loved a lot of the same things growing up. He created a leonine race (originally for his Unearthed Arcana RPG) called Litorians which are also featured in his Ptolus setting. Back in '85, I created a similar race for my TFT campaign based on the lion-men of Mongo from that cool Flash Gordon cartoon that share many of the same attributes with Monte's creation. There are several elements like this that line up nicely with my own preferences and designs which makes Ptolus that much more attractive to me.
You should check out Dark City Games modules; especially the one that expands on their campaign world -- Fire in the Streets -- they have a very nice set of TFT-compatible races on there, including a leonine one, that I plan to use along the way...
Old 10-27-2018, 02:59 AM   #17
Barliman

I'm thinking of using Chaosium's old "Sanctuary" setting from the Thieves World stories as the opening locale. Whether it's on Cidri or not is an open question. And (digs out old boxed set), it even has conversion notes for TFT! The old version, of course, but, still.

This should be fun.

(Hi. This is my first post here. Nice to meet y'all.)
Barliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:02 AM   #18
Terquem

An escape pod from a space-traveling prison barge crash lands on a world of magic, dragons, and eight-armed nightmare's

The survivors, prisoners and guards, must find a way off the planet before too many secrets become too many disasters.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:26 AM   #19
larsdangly

Sanctuary is a good choice, especially if you aren't used to putting together NPCs on the fly. If you do feel confident whipping together NPCs as you go, 2nd edition D+D's Lhankmar is an excellent and very well supported set of materials that are also good. I've run both, but am now in up to my neck with a home-cooked setting broadly like those (but about 10x bigger).
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:45 AM   #20
Terquem

Janelle, the pirate queen, steals a cask of the emperor's own, finest brandy, only to discover the cask is filled with five halflings who escaped from the emperor's dungeons

To pay the pirate queen for their safe passage the five agree to break into the Hobleker Museum and steal the V'Drabh Labyrinth key, kept in the sub basement vault and guarded by the Shields of the Nine Pointed Cross, the most ruthless mercenaries in the entire city.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote