Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-29-2019, 09:05 AM   #51
revshafer

Default Re: Postcard Adventure Contest

The issues involved printing and formatting, not around the game itself. TFT is a dream to use. Two postcards being sent in today!
revshafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:40 PM   #52
ParadoxGames

At long last I sent my postcard adventure in!
Old 05-30-2019, 07:22 AM   #53
Shadekeep

Looking forward to the official tally, once all the cards are in!
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:30 AM   #54
larsdangly

Could someone remind me with a link of where I find the official instructions for this?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:30 AM   #55
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Could someone remind me with a link of where I find the official instructions for this?
https://thefantasytrip.game/news/201...rinth-contest/
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:56 PM   #56
larsdangly

Thanks; I'll see if I can get one post marked tomorrow!
Old 05-30-2019, 09:29 PM   #57
larsdangly

A request for some last minute advice! The two examples of 'successful' postcards that were included with Hexagram #1 made minimal use of the back side of the card, yet the instructions suggest we can use both sides, provided there is still room for an address block. Should we try to stick to the same word count and map size as these examples, or is it expected that some entries will fill up more space?
Old 05-31-2019, 06:41 AM   #58
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
A request for some last minute advice!
I pretty much left the back clear, like a standard postcard, with just the "Continuing The Adventure" blurb at the bottom. There was talk earlier that this should be able to function as a practical postcard, with sufficient space for both addressing and a message. So I would say try to keep everything on the front and just have a small amount of separate footer text on the back, text which isn't a direct continuation of the front (like a broken sentence).
Old 05-31-2019, 07:48 AM   #59
Shadekeep

We're chatting on the TFT Discord about the aftermath of this contest and a couple ideas have come up.

One is that it would be cool to have all the entries as a postcard set. Or at least all the ones which pass muster. This set could be a standalone product, and the individual postcards could be promotional items to hand out at conventions and such. It was also suggested they could make nice extras when shipping - drop one in the package and maybe generate interest in TFT with the recipient.

Another idea is that this postcard concept might be extended to other titles in the SJ Games family. Maybe a quick GEV scenario or Car Wars encounter on a postcard, or postcards which feature a new card for the card-based titles.

Probably SJ Games has already considered these ideas and more, but wanted to put them out there in case not.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:47 AM   #60
larsdangly

I'm afraid I was so crazy busy 'adulting' yesterday that I wasn't able to get my entry to the post office. Oh well, I'll look forward to seeing what the rest of you made. Also, I got so into the concept behind my entry that this weekend I'm going to start building on it to create a kind of TFT version of the D+D classic, Tomb of Horrors. Not in terms of specific theme or content; rather, I'm making it into a super challenging and tricksy megadungeon that is intended for hard-mode competitive dungeon crawling, where smarts and breadth are more important than firepower. I'm designing it around the idea of a single highly experienced protagonist, which I assume folks will create as a one-shot (though, as with ToH, running your players through, either with or without permanent consequences, could also be fun). So far it is shaping up to be more or less like the Indiana Jones opening sequence, if it had 100 rooms and Indy always died.