Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-04-2019, 04:52 PM   #111
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Shooting Dice Blog with GURPS content

Hans, can you recommend a good, detailed book in English on German military rifles? I Have Götz's book, but the English translation is terrible. It seems to have been done as a word-for-word translation by someone with no knowledge of English-language firearms terminology, leading to phrases like "cartridge bed" in place of "chamber" and the like. It's quite hard work to read.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 03:48 PM   #112
HANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Hans, can you recommend a good, detailed book in English on German military rifles? I Have Götz's book, but the English translation is terrible. It seems to have been done as a word-for-word translation by someone with no knowledge of English-language firearms terminology, leading to phrases like "cartridge bed" in place of "chamber" and the like. It's quite hard work to read.
Not giving the same kind of coverage as DIE DEUTSCHEN MILITÄRGEWEHRE UND MASCHINENPISTOLEN 1871-1945. There are many good books on specific makes or models, I fear if you want something better you have to go there. Alternatively, if you're only interested in specific eras, there are a number of good works on German rifles (usually etc) in WWI or WWII. A surprisingly good overview, including often-lacking data, is John Walter's RIFLES OF THE WORLD. If that's less than you want, you probably really need to invest into several specific books, such as Hans-Dieter Handrich's STURMGEWEHR (StG44 family), Richard Law's BACKBONE OF THE WEHRMACHT (Mauser Kar98K family), or Thomas Dugelby and Blake Stevens' DEATH FROM ABOVE (FG42).

Cheers

HANS
Old 07-13-2020, 12:02 PM   #113
HANS

I've got some new stuff over on my blog. Caseless guns, articles on the 1920s and 1930s, a detailed shootout from El Camino.

Cheers

HANS
Old 07-13-2020, 05:01 PM   #114
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS View Post
a detailed shootout from El Camino.
That one was interesting, a not very high skilled shootout. Though at one or two occasions Jesse Pinkman really must have rolled a 3.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:29 PM   #115
Kale

Quote:
I've got some new stuff over on my blog. Caseless guns, articles on the 1920s and 1930s, a detailed shootout from El Camino.
Cheers
HANS
An interesting take on the Caseless rounds. One point I've heard made is that a plastic-cased telescopic round might be a happy medium. The plastic case actually retains much of the heat of firing inside the casing, as plastic is a much better thermal insulator than brass. As a result plastic-cased ammo would dump much less heat into the firing chamber than conventional brass or fully caseless. The telescoped placement of the projectile would also provide similar space savings as caseless, and the plastic case wouldn't add much weight, so you get most of the way there while avoiding some of the potential thermal and handling issues of fully caseless rounds.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:00 AM   #116
HANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Þorkell View Post
That one was interesting, a not very high skilled shootout. Though at one or two occasions Jesse Pinkman really must have rolled a 3.
Indeed. Lots of bad shooting, and lots of lucky hits.

Cheers

HANS
Old 01-04-2021, 12:49 AM   #117
HANS

I've got some new stuff on the blog, including a new write-up of a shootout, Tactical Shooting: The Sopranos at 20.

Cheers

HANS
Old 01-10-2021, 12:30 PM   #118
HANS

And another new post, this time about an injected rail gun, the TST ChemRail, in the cyberpunk movie Elysium.

Cheers

HANS
Old 12-03-2021, 12:58 AM   #119
HANS

After a longish hiatus, I've posted a new entry on my blog about home-made Glock machine pistols.

Cheers

HANS
Old 12-03-2021, 09:32 AM   #120
Prince Charon

Quote:
After a longish hiatus, I've posted a new entry on my blog about home-made Glock machine pistols.

Cheers

HANS
Interesting.

Quote:
- the usefulness of a full-automatic pocket pistol with a 10-round magazine at typically over 1,200 shots per minute is questionable, but hey.
Yeah. Some people just want the thing, without considering whether there's any real benefit in having it, much less whether whatever benefit there is outweighs the risk of prison time (because I find myself suspecting that someone who gets a full-auto Glock 26 is not planning to use it for legal purposes).

About the only way I can see that being kind of useful is if you have several conveniently-placed magazines for it (because at that rate of fire each trigger pull empties the magazine), and a high skill in Fast-Draw (Pistol Ammo). Even then, you're probably better off with something else, aside from very rare niche situations.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
blogs, gun fu, guns, high-tech, martial arts, tactical shooting